2016 Copa América Centenario: Confirmed & Added to FIFA Calendar [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by SamKyon, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nah, I think most people acknowledge that Mexico were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got bulldozed by a team clicking on all cylinders for 90 minutes.

A tournament like this won't happen anytime soon again because its not really feasible without joining confederations which comes with a lot of problems.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That can work too, the only potential issue is that six Concacaf sides would get to play in two tournaments against only one tournament for Conmebol sides. This is why I suggested a Gold Cup and Copa America the next summer after the WC, and the combined cup the year after that.

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They currently play in two. Both our timetables take away one Gold Cup, yours adds an extra tournament for South American nations. In the end its really up to South American nations what they want to do, I was trying to work out a way that doesn't add an extra FIFA recognised tournament.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I imagine FIFA still primarily see this as a CONMEBOL competition. But if we see it as a totally separate competition (i.e. an unconnected special event) then maybe it isn't cap-tying for either confederation. Unfortunately I don't think we will get a definite answer without a specific player case. FIFA's statutes don't give an exact definition of "official competition". Not sure it's as easy as pointing to the FIFA calendar. All we know is Mexico's regular guest appearances in the Copa America aren't cap-tying due to the example of Thiago Motta (currently Italy, but played with Brazil at the 2003 Gold Cup). Looking forward to see how FIFA will treat the UEFA Nations League in this respect as well. Until now it has only been World Cup and your own Nations Cup (plus the relevant qualifying).

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I agree with you on the US but I expected more from Mexico - the de facto home team. Before Mexico got hamstrung by the FIFA calendar they reached the Copa America final twice with their "A" team. Not at home (where they also won the Confederations Cup) but in South America. Most importantly, they have been on a good run recently and Brazil prioritized the Olympics.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HomietheClown repped this.
  8. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think at some point either or both FIFA and the clubs are going to push back against this from the point of fixture congestion and strain on the players. CONMEBOL will end up having to choose the extra tournament cash or the World Cup qualifying round robin. They won't get both.

9. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Any chance they'd consider just expanding the regular CA to 16 teams with 6 CONCACAF? They already invite 2 every time it happens anyway, so the tournament is not "pure" South American. Then it becomes the hurdle of convincing USA/Mexico to send their A teams every time...

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    C-CAF countries cannot send A-teams to regular Copas America because they're not an official competition for them.

That affects mainly teams with several players in Europe, like Mexico or the USA.

The whole point is making the tournament also official for C-CAF. FIFA agreed for this one time.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Third Place: USA - Colombia 0:1

No CONCACAF team on the podium in the end. But that didn't stop CONMEBOL from waiting until the finalists were known before issuing a "challenge" to UEFA. :D

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    And... basically the tournament was deemed pointless with the same final as last year and the same end result.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And the winner is...

CHILE

Talk about poetic justice. Chile are now undisputed South American champions until the 2019 Copa in Brazil. Guess CONMEBOL can now withdraw that UEFA challenge (I am certain they were banking on an Argentina victory).

And now Messi retires from Argentina after this!?!

Sounds like he really could have done with a quiet summer away from the AFA.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    747299545155985409 is not a valid tweet id

Seems like he isn't the only one who could have done with some downtime from the AFA.

What is happening at the Argentine team?

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Most stupid reaction ever. Aguero is 28, Messi 30... some of the others I understand as they will be well past 30 at the 2018 World Cup, but overall the reaction has been like throwing a tantrum and with a hint of bad loser syndrom.

Guess that leaves Pele and Maradona as safe and sound on their pedestal.

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @zahzah , Argentina. Argentina, @zahzah . Hope you get to know each other :D

Their leaders have been bitching about the AFA all tournament, and the AFA itself just got intervened by FIFA (to give you an idea of how bad things are there), and a federation presidential vote with 75 electors, two candidates and no blank votes ended up in a tie :confused:, and they're still stuck with a behemoth of a first division, and...Don Julio Grondona may well have f'ed up Argentine football for a generation.

Nico Limmat, Suyuntuy and zahzah repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Grondona destroyed soccer in Argentina, but the Kirchners and their rivals destroyed Argentina.

It's a mess, but hopefully it can be fixed with some duck* tape before Russia.

---
    * Yes, it's duck tape, not duct tape. The tape was originally glue on cotton duck fabric.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I bet he's talked back into playing, especially since they have a legit shot to win Russia '18. But on the other hand I certainly understand because the guy faces a s*** ton of pressure. Even after yesterday's match it wasn't about Higuain's blown 1 v 1 with the keeper, it wasn't about the brilliant saves from Bravo, it wasn't about the ref's mismanagement of the first half or about how solidly resolute the Chilean defense proved. Instead, it was all about Messi's miss, Messi's lack of a trophy, Messi's failure. So no matter what he does the media will make it about him, and that has got to be annoying as Hades.

I'm gonna guess this is someone's sarcastic response to the Messi announcement.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meanwhile, congrats La Roja! Chile may not have played a beautiful game but they adapted as the game wore on and played on their terms, with great work rate and stout defense holding off the Argentine attack and giving them the chance they need. For them I'm glad they won and now no one can say last year's victory was a fluke or down to home cooking. This is indeed a special squad for a nation with a marginal global pedigree. Well done.

Argentina - Played well and certainly tok the game to Chile early on. Especially after the first red I assumed the win was theirs. They had been in fine form throughout the tournament and came in with all major pieces available. Di Maria, Aguero, Mascherano... Simply failed to get a quality shot inside the box. Higuain's botched breakaway early in the 1st half now looms huge, IMO. Player of his calibre, a top 3 striker in Europe last season, needs to put that away. Hard to call three straight tournament finals disappointing but I know this will sting, until some time reveals maybe this Chilean side is really that good.

The ref - Dear. God. That was a pathetic display in the first half, with Mr. Lopes completely out of his league. Whatever he was saying to the players early on in an attempt to get them to calm down did not work and he let far too many tackles come in with extra muscle and viciousness, only to do the classic over-compensation with the cards once he felt aggrieved. Neither red was deserved, IMO, and he didn't do enough to keep the players at bay after his decisions, at one point actively pushing players away himself! He did get better but should not be doing a major match anytime soon.

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We always were the undisputed champions till 2019, even before this "special" tournament was played. We won that distinction, last year, when we won Copa America 2015.

Now we are the only champions ever, of the Copa America-Centenario 2016. A distinction no one else in South America has. Only can be equaled in 100 more years, unless we win it again, when that happens.;)

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't help that he and the players couldn't understand each other :D

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Both WC94 and CA-C, the two major footballing tournaments ever held in the USA, have ended with 0-0 score lines after extra time and into penalty shootouts. Not a good harbinger for future tournaments in the USA or to generate more grassroots interest in the game unfortunately.

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How on God's green earth is the location of the event final an indicator/reason for a 0-0 scoreline? Most finals end up as tensely nervous affairs because teams tend to play not-to-lose rather than go all out. That plus you're typically talking about the two best teams left standing, meaning they're typically good enough to cancel each other out. Look at the WC final in Brazil '14. Look at last year's CA final in Chile. Look at the Champions League final between Real and Atletico.

On this I agree, but I blame the ref for the matter mostly. things got out of hand quickly and to a high extreme, so it's incumbent upon him to get things under control even more quickly and with great poise. He couldn't do that.