2016/21 Hiroki Sakai | 2020/21 Yuto Nagatomo @ Olympique de Marseille (FR)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by Saku², Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  2. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Hopefully with this and Japan's recent showing at Toulon, there will be more French scouts interested in Japanese players. The French Ligue is really not a bad league for youngsters to develop, hopefully the likes of Koki Ogawa, etc. can attract a decent offer from a Ligue 1 club after Toulon.

3. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Let's hope. Marseille faces a liquidity squeeze, french young talents are becoming increasingly expensive (ex : Guingamp wants 20 M€ for Marcus Thuram), so why not try a japanese ?
    Even though Ligue 1 has never been very focused on Asia in general, attitudes can change.

seolseol repped this.
  4. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Shoji has been performing not bad for his club too. Maybe that will change opinion of French scouts on Japanese players? I hope more guys can play there.

seolseol repped this.
  5. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Tottenham ? (again)

He wants to stay at Marseille but his club needs money so who knows...

mushu21_2 repped this.
  6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Had missed this post but if Koki Ogawa can attract a Ligue 1 offer after his Toulon performance then it's time I ask myself existential questions ! :D

7. mushu21_2

mushu21_2 Member

Manchester United
    Vietnam
    Sep 1, 2018
    Tottenham just sold Trippier so this is becoming more likely.

8. yamatoship

yamatoship Member

Jun 25, 2019
    He truly deserves CL football but I wouldn't mind him staying at Marseille. The love he receives there is incredible. :)

YakYak and seolseol repped this.
  9. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    Spurs has a policy against picking up aging players. Llorente was a rare exception. Japanese players have not done that well in EPL.

YakYak repped this.
  10. kamikaze9

kamikaze9 Red Card

Jul 30, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Will our country have a EPL star like Son in my lifetime? I don't think so. :mad:

11. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Krillin, is that you?

gandychan and YakYak repped this.
  12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, which is why he was banned. Please refrain to further quote the troll - I will delete all posts who do.

YakYak repped this.
  13. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Miserable start to the season. Lost 0-2 to Reims. Played 90 mins.

14. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    seolseol repped this.
  15. yamatoship

yamatoship Member

Jun 25, 2019
    The warrior has been solid as usual. Marseille are currently the second place in the league.

seolseol repped this.
  16. yamatoship

yamatoship Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Tottenham are after him again. He should stay at OM. Tottenham won't qualify for the CL next season.

17. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sakai to Tottenham always comes up.

seolseol repped this.
  18. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Marseille's first match of the season against Saint Etienne was postponed due to 4 members from Marseille testing postive COVID-19.

The match was supposed to be the 2020/2021 Ligue 1 season's opener, and was supposed to be played tonight.

Now Marseille will play the MD2 match next weekend as their season's opener.

19. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    They want to start their season w/o wait for PSG and w/o give Lyon some rest?

20. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They already started the season yesterday (Friday). PSG and Lyon will have their MD1 matches rescheduled as well as Marseille vs. Saint-Etienne match.

21. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hiroki Sakai is starting in Marseille's first match of the league:

gandychan and seolseol repped this.
  22. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official:

Thread update? @Dax

gandychan and seolseol repped this.
  23. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Imagine Sakai on the right and Nagatomo on the left. In a club like Marseille. In CL. I admit it gives me a little hard on :D :D

gandychan repped this.
  24. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    https://www.tribalfootball.com/arti...ther-japan-than-premier-league-return-4325153

Remember that AVB said that he wants to manage in Japan in the future. If Nagatomo and Sakai can perform well for him this season, hopefully he might be more willing to look within the J-League for younger and cheaper talents in the future.

Wish there will be more Japanese players in Ligue 1 in future even though it will be quite a stretch:)

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagatomo posted a video on his YouTube channel talking about his move.

His representatives were contacted a week or two, and he asked Hiroki for advice - his national team colleague told him that the city and club of Marseille are both amazing (mecha mecha ii), which reassured Nagatomo with respect to his family's living situation. He also "thanks" Hiroki for not leaking the news .

He recalls a trip to Marseille during his college career at Meiji University, as part of a Japan national university selection. They played a match against OM's B team, where Yuto scored a terrific goal from distance ("I thought I might even receive an offer from OM on the spot!"). In addition, he was inspired by attending a Ligue 1 match at the Stade Vélodrome, starring stars such as Ribéry and Nasri and references the trip as the moment when he first harbored dreams of playing for a big European clubs - a serendipitous reunion 12 years later.