2016-2017 NBA Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by os_mutante, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought Kyrie was so incredibly clutch. What happened there in the final minute?

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cavs got incredibly stagnant and sloppy in the final minute. An underrated part of this series has been the fact that the Warriors just pay way more attention to little things that win ball games. Boxing out, making the extra pass, running sets instead of iso hero ball, etc.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kyrie threw up some garbage after GSW went up on KD's 3. The media has been feeding this narrative of Kyrie being one of the most clutch players of all time and some fans are riding it hard. Honestly, I'm not sure what the love fest is about Kyrie. I had to hear how he had Mamba mentality like Kobe. He's overrated. Very good scorer and that's about it.

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very competitive game. Y'all happy yet? :)

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kyrie always throws up garbage that goes in more often than not. I often find myself asking myself "how dafuq did that go in" when he's hot. It's who he is. The "clutch" reputation is somewhat earned, just look at last year's finals, but yeah, it's not even close to all-time status right now. Irving is a massively explosive weapon as a scorer, but not really good at anything else, I can agree with that.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, because the series isn't competitive on the whole. We sacrificed an entire NBA season on the altar of this finals matchup, and it's underwhelming as all heck.

7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Kyrie is an OKAY defender and an elite scorer. His last possession was really bad when he tried to crossover Klay, but at the same time who else was gonna take that? LeBron? LMAO dude wasn't as proactive as he should've been which is why Kyrie took over in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Kyrie is overrated because he couldn't land a shot tho? really fam? Or is it cuz John Wall can't do it. lmao

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LeBron should've absolutely been the one with the ball in his hands in the last minute. He should've demanded it. Comparable scoring, superior efficiency and assisting in that game. And don't you go hating on Wall. Wall is the superior all-around player to Kyrie.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I don't get why LeBron doesn't just drive to the basket....he'll either score (yes, he missed a crucial layup) or draw a foul...but he and Kyrie both played 42+ minutes, so must be exhausted.

Kyrie was amazing today....last season, this is the game Dubs lose. Will be psychologically difficult for Cavs to come back from this.

10. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    We all thought it would be though. It's not like we've been deprived of competitivness or good plays, but it feels like this championship wasn't earned. And before any of you GSW jump in the air screaming ''what the hell?'' - normally teams go through some up's and down's during the post season, having to adapt to certain situations. This year? Nada. They're just too good as a team.

I said it after the first game - having to deal with Curry and Durant is enough, but having Livingston and Iggy back them up? There's currently no team in the world that can handle that.
    I don't want to disrespect any team that has Lebron James, but he can't beat this. No one can.

Going back to my inital point. You see teams fighting, screaming in games to get to Finals, even in the Finals you see them put everything out there to win. The Warriors didn't. They didn't, because they didn't have to. They're too good on a talent base stand point to win it all. I'm not saying they didn't work for it, because that would be stupid, but they didn't pour everything into it. That's why I'm saying that, while this championship is deserving, they didn't earn it.

On the other hand, for all y'all that are saying this isn't the best team in history - no one has gone 16-0 in the post season. And they went up against two teams (albeit injured) that have won championships in the last 5 years. #bestteamever

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you are going to have the media shove down your throats that he has the Mamba mentality, yeah, I expect him to make that shot or even show up in the first two games in the second half.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    That last KD shot was hero ball though. And it won them the game.
    Who brought up John Wall (all NBA)? Why you mad?

13. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beg to differ. It's the Cavs who had senioritis over the last month of the regular season, only showing up for the Boston game, knowing they didn't even need home court to get to the Finals. The Warriors had a KD injury to get through. They lost like 3 of 5 and the Spurs got to within two games. They had to rally in San Antonio, relying on maybe the only above average game from David West all year. In the playoffs, they swept Portland but Game 3 could've gone either way. Second round was Utah and maybe the finish was a forgone conclusion but the Jazz were definitely confident in at least being competitive. They had just upset the Clippers and were also the last team to beat GSW, and in Oakland. Then everyone knows what happened with the Spurs.

Point is, they haven't just been winning laughers. If the Warriors win it all they'll have benefited from some good fortune and pure luck along the way, just like every other championship team has.

14. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    While I might agree about the Cavs and their senioritis, that doesn't change the fact, that these playoffs haven't taken everything out of this team. Let's forget the regular season, because it doesn't really matter to my point. Even, if somehow this Warriors team were left by lady luck and everthing went against them, they've would've lost like what? 1 game against Portland, 1 game against Utah and maybe it would've went to 6 against SA? That's really the worst case scenario.

I find it funny, that you're trying to argue my point - it's not a knock against the Warriors, it's just something that I happened to see during these playoffs. Even the players came out and said they could've played better the first 2 games and they won both by double digits. If anything that's scary.

While I feel the championship is deserved, it still doesn't feel like this team put in everything to get it, simply because they didn't have to.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It wasn't my intent to say that they never iso, but they generally try an offensive set with something happening off-ball more frequently than the Cavs.
    I haven't seen such hardcore spin since the US election last year. Face it; your team is so ridiculously good that they didn't really ever have to push themselves to the max in order to win a championship. Enjoy it while it lasts.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why aren't we talking more about the bad coaching for the Cavs? Wide open looks for Warriors down the stretch and that iso offense with Kyrie going 1 v 5 and chucking a shot is some really poor preparation.

Y Nada Mas repped this.
  17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all playing the result (and the result hasn't even happened yet). Everyone was probably saying the same thing in Game 2 of Heat vs Mavs when LeBron and Wade were clowning on the bench.

I'm just saying hate on the Warriors all you want but what the Cavs tried to pull this season, basically saving themselves all the way to the Finals then finding out it's probably not enough, it's poetic justice.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    What does it mean to 'push themselves to the max' or 'put in everything they got'? You do what you have to to win the game. How can you guys say they didn't do that given they are 15-0 now? Maybe it is precisely b/c they gave it their all they are at 15-0 now. I get their team is loaded and is very talented, but I think it's very odd you claim they are not trying their hardest.

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1394 MatthausSammer, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Yeah. What's strange is this Cavs team felt way more organized a year ago. Not sure what happened between then and now.

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a difficult line to toe, but they haven't really faced an adversary that's even on their level right now. They out-talent every team and it's not close, and on top of that they play team-oriented ball with attention to detail. They haven't been pushed or faced much adversity on their road to this point.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jw is better than ki no doubt

22. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Because they're the ones saying they could play better! I love it how you Warriors fans are viewing everything and everyone as an enemy. I'm basically praising your team being so talented and deep, that they don't have to put in the maximum effort and you're like ''WHAT? ARE YOU CRAZY!?''.

People know Lebron put in everything to win that chip in Cleveland. That took everything from him to do it. The Warriors could play another series and they likely wouldn't even lose one game. The Warriors are playing like every match is an exhibtion match they knew, they're going to win.

23. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Meh, they won last year with the same coach executing the same game plan. It's difficult to defend a team so willing to pass. You pressure those good shooters on the perimeter and they drive, contest and they pass to the open man. They have 3 of the best 5 shooters in the NBA who are all excellent one on one. Defending this team isn't as easy as it sounds. Far from it.

As for offence goes. I was just looking at that Kyle Korver 3 and said, it that was Ray Allen, it goes in. I think Kyrie and Lebron lost faith in everyone besides Love. Then again, the Warriors defence is so good at reading passing lanes, that it basically forces you to comply.

I don't see a coach chaging the tide of this series, when one side is so clearly superior to the other.

Bill Simmons had a great tweet the other night - it's like they All-Star game, but with effort.

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Speaking of Love - kinda worthless no? Guy looks so immobile. I assume Lebron will want to ship him and bring in another star or 3 to compete.

25. Y Nada Mas

Y Nada Mas Red Card

May 27, 2017
    Cavs are beating teams with outscoring.they have bad defense

And its hard to outscore The Warriors who also have defense