(2016.06.03) Kirin Challenge Cup : Japan vs Bulgaria

Discussion in 'Japan' started by naopon, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    In that list Son Heung Min is missed, Kim Bo Kyung had to return in korea due to work permit, there are few koreans in the bundesliga 2 as well. Finally there are two Koreans playing for Crystal Palace and Ausburg, plus some korean plays in the youth academies and minor european leagues. I dont know much about Iran football so i cant tell.

2. coolwid

coolwid New Member

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Been a lurker here. As a Beijing fan, I hate Zaccheroni too. haha.

Saku² repped this.
  3. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Just don't feed the IgnoRANt trolls.

4. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #104 Dax, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    I don't see any misunderstanding, if anything you didn't answer me? Not sure why you are asking me those questions, but I'll answer you if it helps getting your answer:

1) Well, obviously there are tons of factors that contribute to achieving "good results". In general, they are achieved when the team flows, when there's chemistry, as long as the players have enough quality. Obviously if Fiji play against Japan, no matter how much chemistry they have or what genious coach they have, there won't be a "good result" in score form.
    The manager selects the players he thinks are in-form, and that fit a certain system he has in mind. He decides the tactics to use, gives individual instructions, etc. Obviously, this is just from the manager's POV since it's what we are talking about.
    To make a simple example, if a player gets red carded, this will have an impact and the manager can only try to take a counter-measure.
    2) On a very basic level, "good results" are when the team wins. Greece wasn't exactly playing exciting football when they won the EUROs but I think we all can agree that it was a historic result.
    On a more detailed level, we can probably say, for Japan, "achievements in FIFA competitions".
    From the POV of a federation though and not just "the history textbooks", obviously, beating, dunno, Brazil in a friendly, would still be an amazing result as it would probably be a great morale boost for the team.
    If this is not "good results" for you, I'm interested in knowing your idea.

Now that I answered you, let me ask you the question again, as I'm still not sure what changed. I'm asking about what you literally wrote:

So, if you judge the work of the coach by:
    1) how he change and improve the way his team functions (= subjective judgement*, unless the word "improve" is directly related to the results achieved)
    2) how he utilizes players under his disposal (= again, subjective judgement* unless related to a result: for example, Honda being used as a striker by Okada and this somehow saving Japan's FW problem in a WC )

*I'm not saying that subjective judgement is right or wrong, it's just obviously not what a Federation or a fan ultimately thinks about.

Then the fans should judge the work of a coach by these parameters and not, again, as you literally wrote: "by winning against Opponent X or losing against Opponent Y, or by winning/advancing in (Competition X or by losing/knocked out of Competition Y."

The only thing I can think of is that if a team ultimately battles hard, even the final result is missing, the coach should still be praised? Is this what you tried to suggest? Thanks.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  5. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Look damn Bulgaria! Look at what you created with your sloppy defence!

6. Drew1404

Drew1404 Member

Aug 25, 2014
    I don't care what anyone says, Japan just beat a solid European team 7-2. That's pretty amazing, and the guys who are coming out saying so what and playing it down, just don't realise what an incredible result it is. First off, Japan are supposedly ranked 58 in the world? A team ranked that low doesn't beat a similar ranked team with that kind of scoreline. We all know as well that Japan always creates tons of chances, we've seen it, we know how it works, THIS is what happens when they actually take these chances

I don't think anyone can talk about regression, the way Japanese football has improved in it's short life is nothing short of amazing.

The best part is Bulgaria probably have no idea what hit them. Of course only time will tell, but for me Japan really needs to be respected because if you don't respect them they could slaughter you, and I love that

7. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    If Bulgaria is solid then how you describe Croatia?

8. Drew1404

Drew1404 Member

Aug 25, 2014
    I would describe Croatia as a top European team. I guess it's a little difficult to put into words. Do you not think this result says a lot about how far Japanese football has come?

If this was Brazil beating Bulgaria 7-2 we would all be saying how fantastic Brazil is, and that's one of the best teams in the history of the game.

Maybe I'm just being too positive, for all I know Bosnia are going to come out now and beat Japan easily :(

9. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Yeah Bosnia is another level compared to Bulgaria, but if you manage to crash them as well...congratulations. But i think should be a even match.

10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Bosnia to be pretty poor, since they left most of their key players (Džeko, Ibišević, Pjanić, Begović) at home and IIRC their depth is not very good.

11. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Really? Then like i didnt say anything....

12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's kind of a travesty. Too bad for Vahid too.

13. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Excuses ready for the haters! :D

gamban98 and Drew1404 repped this.
  14. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    He's actually happy.

15. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, but it is surprising that with that kind of squad, Bosnia managed to beat Denmark, even though it had to be settled on PK Shotout. And Did Denmark deploy their A team?

16. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  17. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Crikey.

Nishikawa or Higashiguchi for Bosnia match in your opinion? Nishikawa's distribution is excellent, but he's far from sweeper keeper like Neuer, Stegen, Sommer, or Lloris type who positioned themselves excellently.

18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    hadn't noticed, that's disappointing.

Marco91 repped this.
  19. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It would be easier with Džeko playing, if he kept up his Roma form.

20. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It seems that Bulgaria is a joke, they just got demolished 4-0 by Denmark, with Tottenham's Christian Eriksen scoring a hat-trick.

teioh and Marco91 repped this.
  21. marten48

marten48 Member

Jun 2, 2012
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    FWIW, in the World Football Elo ratings , which actually does have some predictive power, unlike the totally worthless "official" FIFA rankings, Japan is way higher than Bulgaria, suggesting that they should be expected to beat Bulgaria pretty easily, especially at home. It was the margin of victory that was surprising.

In the Elo ratings Japan and Bosnia are roughly level, which seems about right to me. Since they were playing at home, though, Japan were favorites to win that game, so a loss is disappointing and dropped them down the table pretty significantly (5 spots, down to number 27). It was only a friendly, though, so it's hard to read too much into it.

22. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Elo SHOULD BE THE WAY, instead of that shit of FIFA Rankings.

23. marten48

marten48 Member

Jun 2, 2012
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Agreed.