2015 Soccer, but not Rapids Related- NRR

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Stuart95, Feb 24, 2015.

1. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    [ concussion side-cushion headbands can help reduce closed head injuries in soccer. Good quality bands run under $50 and should be required equipment for all competitive youth soccer. [/QUOTE]

Are they truly helping, or is it more like a band-aid? I'm using the soft rugby scrum caps as a comparison (like the helmet Pablo wore for a short while). There are some prestigious studies performed that pretty much say the scrum caps really don't do much besides soften the blow. Of course, we don't tell our kids this, but it is the truth for scrum caps. Without a market for it, the gear will not get improved, so I'm all for it even if it only is a band aid. Will happily promise to cheer for every pro player showing up in concussion headband!

2. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously concussions are a problem, but I'm a bit reluctant to prescribe additional protective equipment as the remedy. I'm not aware of any definitive evidence on the net effects, but I do think the moral hazard (i.e. protection encouraging more reckless behavior) can be significant.

Here's a recent article that discusses some of the issues for women's lacrosse: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/sports/17lacrosse.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=general&src=me

fortcollins and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The Nuggets looked empty tonight.

4. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as we often say: KSE = Keeping Stadiums Empty.

Don't worry though, NBA make the bulk of their money from broadcasting and marketing rights so even if no one shows up they will most likely break even.

No need to pass around a collection plate for the poor Kroenkes yet.

5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, After Stan moves the Rams back to LA, my guess is he goes after Denver to replace the pepsi center.

6. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are stuck in there until 2025 for certain.

Considering Josh technically owns both those Pepsi Center teams now who knows what happens after 2025. The rumblings will start at least 5 years before the expiration date on the Pepsi Can.

Totoro repped this.
  7. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not aware of any studies that show that the headbands do any good. If there are any, please share.

In 20 years of coaching youth soccer, most of the concussions I'm aware of are head-to-ground, much more than head to head or shoulder or elbow.

My approach to minimizing concussions is that I teach heading just enough for the girls to know how to (and be willing to) head a ball that bounces up high enough but not enough that they'll fight opponents to head a punt out of the air.

fortcollins and kucsdat repped this.
  8. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I tend to watch a lot of high school soccer games and I hate seeing kids head goalie punts--you know, the high ones that fly 50 yards in the air. Sometimes you'll see them actually get stunned by the ball--eyes blinking--particularly those who don't attack the ball but just place their heads in front of it.

I know it's part of the game, so I have no answers on how to legislate it. But it makes me wince when I see it.

fortcollins and kucsdat repped this.
  9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy sign that MLS is expanding: watched tape delayed full broadcasts of MLS playoff games on Eurosport (with German commentary) this week

SccrDon repped this.
  10. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy sign that MLS is expanding: watched tape delayed full broadcasts of MLS playoff games on Eurosport (with German commentary) this week

kucsdat repped this.
  11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Hey, that's pretty cool. Just wondering. Do you speak German? Did you get a sense for the commentary on our league?

12. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, my German consists of being able order beer/food and get around in a city.

jayd8888 repped this.
  13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Let KSE and the teams go, keep the can, get an expansion team/another franchise? I like the Pepsi Center. I like that it's not ginormous and that they built the upper decks fairly vertically, so the nosebleeds aren't so far from the court/ice.

jayd8888 and Sports Yak repped this.
  14. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on head-to-ground, and I'll raise you head-to-goalpost as well. I don't think anything can cushion those blows. They are scary, and not just from a concussion perspective. Some really awful neck and spinal injuries have happened during ground contact plays.

I'm not aware of any studies for or against usefulness of the concussion headbands. All I can share is anecdotal evidence and my own personal experience. I wear one in rec league ball now and sure wish I had one back in the day. I've had some fairly low impact head-to-head thumps with the band and a couple fairly mild elbows, and I can feel the difference. I do not know how well they would work in a fiercely competitive setting. I'd like to see a few entire youth leagues use them for a couple years, with a solid study. Another post in this thread raised the moral risk issue, and that's a valid point, too.

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have a universal translator that lets me do that in any language.

16. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Arsenal spoiler:

Show Spoiler
    Damn Arsenal. With the tiebreakers changed to head to head, I thought for sure they were going out in the group stage when Alexis got hurt between the 5th and 6th games. In a way it makes the home loss to Olympiacos all the more infuriating--they really mailed that one in.

18. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Golden CO native and current PSG player (moving to Portland Thorns) Lindsey Horan started and played 90 minutes for the USWNT tonight and had two nice assists and a goal. The first assist should have been for the gwg because the penalty that preceded it was bogus.

19. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed re the penalty, surprised PK was given.

Lindsey Horan's assists and overall passing were fun to watch - nice to see a local player setting herself up for a (hopefully) strong national team career.

20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22SteveD repped this.
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting, is Goff ever wrong?

22SteveD repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It was from an LAG press-release, I just saw the news first on Goff's twitter feed.

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Now the Gals have sold Juninho. Who's going to run and play D in that midfield now?

24. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe they are working on a trade for Watts?

kucsdat and Dom. FC repped this.