2015 Ottawa Fury FC NASL Season Thread

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by ironcub14, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.twiceacosmo.com/2015/11/19/9761768/can-ottawa-fury-fc-continue-to-contend-in-2016

Ottawa are unique among expansion sides from the past two years, in that their success on the pitch has actually outpaced their success at the gate. The front office has shown a knack for finding undervalued assets that fit well together, and unless the club's budget increases significantly this winter, that ability will need to be on display again in order to make it two seasons in a row with postseason soccer in Ottawa. If nothing else, it will be fascinating to watch how they handle the early success, as they try to avoid the sort of dropoff we've seen from title contenders in the past.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016 Amway Canadian Championship (home team listed first)

11 May 2016

Preliminary round - first leg
    FC Edmonton v Ottawa Fury FC

18 May 2016

Preliminary round - second leg
    Ottawa Fury FC v FC Edmonton

1 June 2016

Semi Final 1 - first leg
    Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton v Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Semi Final 2 - first leg
    Toronto FC v Montreal Impact

8 June 2016

Semi Final 1 - second leg
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC v Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton

Semi Final 2 - second leg
    Montreal Impact v Toronto FC

21 or 22 June 2016

Final - first leg

28 or 29 June 2016

Final - second leg

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2016/02/02/fury-bolster-2016-squad-with-pair-of-Canadians

Ottawa Fury FC head coach Paul Dalglish continues to bolster his squad with the addition of a pair of Canadians in midfielder Mozzi Gyorio (Mow-zee Gee-or-ee-oh) and goalkeeper Andrew MacRae.
    Gyorio, 26, brings experience and versatility to Ottawa’s midfield. He comes to Ottawa after spending the 2015 season with Paul Dalglish at the Austin Aztex where he featured in 18 matches notching three assists. Gyorio is no stranger to the NASL – he began his professional career under Paul Dalglish at FC Tampa Bay (now Tampa Bay Rowdies) in 2010. After two seasons with the Florida-based club featuring in 43 matches, Gyorio made the move to England signing with League Two side Fleetwood Town.
    Born in the former Yugoslavia, Gyorio was raised in Stratford, PEI where his youth development began. After youth academy stops in Holland with NEC Mijmegen and in the U.S. with the Houston Dynamo, Gyrio turned pro in 2010 signing with Paul Dalglish at FC Tampa Bay (now Tampa Bay Rowdies).
    MacRae, 25, spent several months training with Fury FC during the 2015 season under goalkeeper coach Bruce Grobbelaar. The Coldbrook, NS native featured in the CIS for the Acadia University Axemen from 2014-2015 where he also served as an assistant coach to the goalkeepers.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ottawa Fury
    2016 ROSTER:GOALKEEPERS:Marcel DeBellis, Andrew MacRae.
    DEFENDERS:Rafael Alves,Fernando Timbo (Austin Aztex), Rich Balchan (Tampa Bay Rowdies), Onua Thomas Obasi (Rochester Rhinos), Kyle Venter(Tulsa Roughnecks)
    MIDFIELDERS:Julian de Guzman, Mauro Eustaquio, Lance Rozeboom (Austin Aztex),Jonny Steele(Minnesota United), James Bailey (Pune City/IND), Gerardo Bruna (Accrington Stanley/ARG), Mozzi Gyorio (Austin Aztex), Marcel de Jong (Sporting KC)
    FORWARDS:Carl Haworth, Paulo Junior, Dennis Chin (Ft. Lauderdale Strikers), Kyle Porter (Atlanta Silverbacks), Pablo Dyego (Fluminense/BRA, Loan)
    -----------------------------------DEPARTED:
    DEFENDERS:Drew Beckie (Carolina RailHawks), Ryan Richter (Bethlehem Steel), Colin Falvey (Indy Eleven), Mason Trafford (Miami FC)
    MIDFIELDERS:Nicki Paterson, Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare (Montreal Impact, Loan Return), Sinisa Ubiparipovic (Indy Eleven), Richie Ryan (Jacksonville Armada)
    FORWARDS:Andrew Wiedeman (FC Cincinnati), Ugur Albayrak, Oliver (Puerto Rico FC), Aly Alberto Hassan (Carolina RailHawks), Tom Heinemann (Tampa Bay Rowdies).

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Well, I kind of expected that result last week. Ottawa is basically an expansion team with chemistry issues that was playing against last season's champions. Hopefully we'll have a better idea how good the team really is when they play Indy, who are closer to their level.

11. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duke Kickass repped this.
  13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm excited to see Ottawa advance for the first time. I think it would have been better if they'd ended up against Toronto or Montreal where we might see some away fans but I'm hoping they'll be able to use the draw of an MLS opponent to get a big crowd.

Prosoccercdn and FootySkeptic repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I'm not sure I like the direction Dalglish is taking the team in terms of style. Trading away Paulo Jr. for what is essentially a work in progress doesn't fill me with much hope. Then there's this comment:

I'm sorry, but I really enjoyed last year's flowing, possession brand of soccer that Marc dos Santos brought to the team. It looks like PD wants to play stick-in-there english footy, which is not fun to watch. Ottawa is not a blue-collar town and we like to see style rather than a group of bangers that 'try hard'. I've been willing to give the coach the benefit of the doubt since he's basically working with an expansion team after the post-season player diaspora, but I'm expecting to see skillful play, not boot and chase.

16. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    This is a pretty big signing:

17. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    So let me get this straight:

1. Fury signs player.

2. Player performs well.

3. Player gets bought out by another club at a price that the Fury cannot or are not willing to match.

4. Repeat Step 1.

Does that sound about right?

If this roster churn doesn't stop, the Fury are simply going to be a perpetual expansion team. Sometimes I think MLS has it right with its salary cap. It is incredibly frustrating to be a Fury supporter right now.

18. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Steps 3 and 4 can be lucrative in this model if you get good profit from the transfer fees. Hopefully, down the road this could lead to more then just a NASTY. I think more credit is due to the management strategy of the Fury then is given: its certainly not merely a perpetual expansion team that somehow fluked [sic] into the finals last year and has one of the winning marketing strategies in the league right now. Under the radar, low-key sleepers that are cold blooded killer IMO.

19. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    The "Low-Key Sleeper" that they traded Paulo Junior for just flubbed a shot in the 6-yard box that could have netted them points this season. I'm worried about the financial health of the club as they seem to be jettisoning players for lower quality, cheaper replacements. That's not the way you compete for championships.

20. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Those adjectives were directed at the management (in reference to their style) not the players. Still 17 more games to go, and I'm sure they'll do well -if not better than most- financially.

21. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I heard that they were running in the red last season as part of their strategy to build up buzz with a good product. Now they're cutting back costs on the player side, but still trying to increase attendance by spending on marketing. They're averaging 6K per game and if they can continue to win home games, I think that attendance will keep increasing. It looks pretty good when I go to games, and opening seats on the North side means that demand must be there. They've got enough space to hold 10K now.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  22. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Now that was better. Either the team is starting to gel and the coach is getting them to buy into his system or the Railhawks are worse than I thought.

23. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  24. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I resigned myself to the fact that this is a rebuilding year (Expansion 2.0), but Dalglish needs to find some pieces to build around. They say you should give a new coach 3 transfer windows to build the kind of team he wants, so he has until next year before I really start getting critical about his moves. The fact that he has started de Bellis over Peiser in the last two matches makes me think Peiser is on the trading block.

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States