2015 Open Cup Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by oneeyedfool, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futbol_Head and ManuSooner repped this.
  2. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It was an awesome atmosphere, there was more nycfc fans then there was RB fans last year. They got loud and cocky when they were up 0-2, boy what a contrast to how they walked out, soooo quiet and their heads low. I loved it, in the 90th min I said to myself " these are the Cardiac COSMOS, we got 'em right where we want em" sure enough Lucky pokes one in!
    The entire team played their a$$ off, I got to say even if we had lost I would have been proud of my team, but a win.....it just doesn't get any better than that!

ltrebor, Onionsack, oneeyedfool and 5 others repped this.
  3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    11,446 soccer fans saw this great drama :thumbsup:

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  5. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played. You certainly had a lot of viewers watching across the country, including myself. Can definitely see this becoming a heated rivalry, which will be great for the local fans and US soccer as a whole.

Keep it up, I'd sure love to catch a game (Raul :inlove:) if you make it over to the West Coast!

nanoGVSP, Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  6. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The backstory will certainly provide hype for a great game, Cosmos playing @ RBA on grass with a full rested squad (will Senna & Roversio be ready by then?), while Red Bull is looking to avenge last years USOC. Looking forward to the tifo displays!

Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  7. Irrational fan

Irrational fan New Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I second that! They showed up RB fans from last year by a mile. Great night altogether, great crowd and the best team won!

oneeyedfool and Sam U El repped this.
  8. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Surely all Cosmos fans know that, if the Cosmos had wanted to pay the $100 million fee to get into MLS, they could have done so. The Cosmos' owners turned down the chance to become part of MLS because they didn't want to lose control over the team's logos and other marks, and because they wanted to retain the ability to sign their own players.

MLS didn't accept the Manchester City / Yankees partnership until after the Cosmos had already declined the offer. So NYCFC didn't steal anyone's place.

While I greatly admire the Cosmos for their decision to remain outside of MLS, and while I root for the team (in all games except last night's), I must point out that it is a huge mistake to conflate NYCFC and the Red Bulls.

The Red Bulls have the name of a sponsor. That's just foul.

Whereas NYCFC are a sister club to one of the best clubs in the world in Manchester City, a club which has been part of a great trend in the football over the past decade and a half: the infusion of super-rich owners who are committed to do what it takes to excel. Before City were owned by Shinawatra and then Mansour, they were a middling club that few in the world cared about or even knew about. They were nobody's idea of a "big club".

Then good ownership took over, and everything changed. Just as had happened at Chelsea before them, a club that had never before been a powerhouse became one to be reckoned with. Contrary to the inane rantings of the people who like to conduct a "fight against modern football", the benefits of modern football flow not only to the fans of those clubs which are bought by super-rich owners, but to all football fans, as other clubs must find owners of that calibre in order to keep pace. Eventually, there will be another one following in the footsteps of Chelsea and Man City, until, ideally, all clubs have great owners.

So I as a New Yorker am very happy that NYCFC and Man City have a common ownership. Even though I am a Chelsea fan, I have great respect for Man City. So any attempt at "insults" along the lines of "Man City, Jr." or "Man City Lite" are ridiculous, as I am proud that my hometown MLS team is linked with Man City. Of course the absurd rules of MLS don't allow us to take full advantage of this association; but I am sure that the City Football Group people are smart enough to do whatever they can do within the constraints.

(As an aside: I am not one of these whining NYCFC fans who complain about the Lampard situation. Of course I would have preferred that Lampard be here from the beginning of the season; but I perfectly well understand his playing for Man City through the end of their season. And really, by starting in July he won't have missed much. So many important players join MLS teams mid-season precisely because the ridiculous "come one, come all" nature of the MLS playoffs reduces the early part of any MLS season to nothing more than glorified training sessions.)

After having had no interest in MLS nor in the MetroStars, and after being disgusted by the Red Bulls, New York City FC drew me in, and I became a fan. Yet I also call myself a Cosmos fan. When they play each other, as happened for the first time last night, I root for NYCFC. But, that game having passed, I can enjoy the fact that the Cosmos won such a good victory, and were really the better team. And of course I hope that they pound the Red Bulls, and that they go on to win the competition.

So, I don't think that fans of NYCFC and the Cosmos should really be at each other's throats, certainly not over the MLS issue. Once again: the Cosmos voluntarily walked way from MLS; NYCFC exists solely because of this decision by the Cosmos' ownership.

I hope that any rivalry between NYCFC and the Cosmos can be purely friendly, with all bile directed at our common enemy, the Red Bulls.

[​IMG]

skipper60601, ltrebor and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  9. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the highlights, it looks like one of the NYCFC goals perhaps should have been disallowed due to offside. The view was inconclusive because it did not show the NYCFC attacker in the screen at the same time when the ball was played, but the Cosmos defender definitely stopped running, i.e. pulled the trap, a few moments before the ball was played which would seem to indicate that the attacker who received the pass was indeed offside. By the time that attacker was shown in the screen, he was a few steps behind the last defender (not including the goalkeeper).

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next up: Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena on July 1. Should we pass that test it's the winner of DC and Philly. I would love us to beat Philly after last year, though we will have to do it with Leo.

Sam U El repped this.
  11. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few loose ends from NY Cosmos Vs. NYCFC...

London: New York City FC v New York Cosmos: Three talking points behind US Open Cup match
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-talking-points-behind-US-Open-Cup-match.html

The Match from All Angles

LA: New York Cosmos send New York City FC crashing out of the U.S. Open cup
    http://abc7.com/sports/new-york-cosmos-send-new-york-city-fc-crashing-out-of-the-us-open-cup/791900/

MLS: US Open Cup: New York City FC rue inability to hold onto lead in loss to New York Cosmos
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-rue-inability-hold-lead-loss-new-york-cosmos

HudsonRiverBlue: RECAP: New York City falls to the New York Cosmos
    http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2015/6/18/8802985/recap-new-york-city-falls-to-the-new-york-cosmos

5th Round Draw

brentgoulet repped this.
  12. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad I could not go, it would have been a great match to be at. Although I was very upset with the match (mainly because Kreis played Mix for 120 mins but kind of stranded him with mostly B players. Either go all out or keep Mix on the bench and ready for MLS action, don't go half way) at least I have the consolation prize of having the Cosmos still remaining, proudly representing New York. It was a very entertaining match, I would say the true winner was Gio, because so many of Jason Kreis' decisions, especially substitutions, played a huge role in losing a game that we should have won. You gotta respect Gio.

And by the way, WOW Shep Messing is the worst announcer in Soccer. Dude is awful, and Petke just makes it even worse. I would rather listen to Julie Foudy for 2+ hours! The overall production quality for OneWorld was pretty solid though, with the exception of some of the camera angles, which probably has more to do with the stadium.

13. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 oneeyedfool, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    The Red Bulls in Red Bull Arena under a new regime that takes the Cup more seriously is going to be a bigger challenge than last year. The Hofstra turf won't be an excuse for them or home field advantage for us. All the more important that Marcos Senna and Roversio are back for this game. Senna was almost ready for NYC FC so I assume barring a setback he will be in for this one. Roversio's status is less clear. The better pitch at RBA should help.

We were so much better with Leo Fernandes in the game that he should start again. We should ideally revert to our most consistent lineup of the year, modified for everyone being healthy:

[​IMG]

Obviously if Roversio isn't ready then Hunter Gorskie goes in and if Senna somehow isn't ready Moffat is back in.

Healthy team bench: Gorskie, Moffat, Flores, Guenzatti, Caceras, Mads, Holt
    Bench if Roversio/Senna are out: Flores, Guenzatti, Caceras, Mads, Holt, Chirishian, Haji Wright

It will be nice to have Flores back as an option off the bench, since he provided a late spark in several games.

nanoGVSP, Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  15. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Tickets went up for sale this afternoon, anyone get them yet? I saw they located Cosmos supporters in section 220 wich look like horrible seats to watch the game. I might venture closer to the action. RB play NYCFC on Sunday so who knows what kind of draw they'll have for our game on wendnesday, all they could talk about is NYCFC, which sits just fine with me.

16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I got a few tickets for me and some friends. We stuck with the supporters section but I agree it sucks. I am used to sitting at the center, but I figure it will be an experience

17. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where they put us (NYCFC) and where they put all other visiting supporters. They are actually very good seats and it's nice to have the roof! The staff had the area very well organized and the security dealt with the rowdiness of the supporters fairly well. You guys should have a great time, I wouldn't bother paying more to sit somewhere else.

nanoGVSP and Sam U El repped this.
  18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's where we (Texian Army) stood for the Red Bulls-Dynamo playoff game a couple of years ago. It's an OK place to watch the game but then I'm used to watching games from behind a goal. Better than where some teams put away fans.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  19. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    Are Cosmos supporters going to be hanging out at any place in particular in Newark / Harrison before the match?

20. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't know about most guys but I will probably arrive right on time. By the time I get out of work, get together with my group and go across to Jersey the game might be about to start.

brentgoulet and oneeyedfool repped this.
  21. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet repped this.
  22. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bulls seeking Open Cup revenge vs. Cosmos

Last year, then-head coach Mike Petke went with a reserve-filled unit against the Cosmos due to a combination of international absences, injuries and preferred approach. The result was an apathetic and humiliating loss at Shuart Stadium that infuriated the Red Bulls’ fan base and left the players with pain and a sour taste in their mouths.
    “There’s a sense of revenge, that we need to win this game,” said centerback Matt Miazga, who started in last year’s fourth round match. “Obviously, at the start of the season (head coach Jesse Marsch) really made it a commitment to win this Open Cup, and that’s one of our goals. Now, the Cosmos are in our way, and we’re going to give it our all.
    “I played in that game last year, and it did suck losing, 3-0, away at their place. Now, we’re back at home, and we’re going to look to win at home.”

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/06/seeking-revenge-cosmos.html

23. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia (and a shot at revenge) awaits tomorrow's winner.

24. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    First we need To Take Care of the RB, It'll be a tough one. I'm sure they're looking for revenge and they just pounded NYCFC in the BX, they must be feeling good about themselves. But if we are able to field our starting team I like our chances. About that rematch.....
    http://www.empireofsoccer.com/disadvantage-forfeit-quarters-36813/
    Looks like we won't host no matter who wins, we have no stadium! This really shows the need we have for our own home.

Sam U El repped this.