2015 NCAA Tournament Bracket

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Sep 24, 2015.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to start up this thread. Why?

The NCAA has just published its Soccer Championship Pre-Championship 2015-16 Manual;

This past Monday, the NCAA published its initial RPI rankings and ratings;

This week, the Regional Advisory Committees and the Women's Soccer Committee held the first of their every-other-week conference call meetings as part of their process of ultimately making at large selections and seeding teams for the bracket.
    Starting next week, I'll be publishing, with my weekly RPI report, a list of teams that, based on recent history, are:

Within the range of potential #1 seeds;

Within the range of potential #2 seeds;

Within the range of potential #3 seeds;

Within the range of potential #4 seeds;

Virtually assured of getting at large selections if they are not conference champions; and

Within the range of potential at large selections.
    For those who are interested in the criteria for at large selections, in the seeds, and in the process leading up to the bracket announcement, I suggest you go to these RPI for Division I Women's Soccer webpages:

As an additional resource, I have identified historic patterns that the at large selections and seeds have met, in relation to the criteria and teams' season results. Some simple examples are that, using the end-of-regular-season results, the #1 ranked team in the Adjusted RPI always has received a #1 seed, teams that are not conference champions but that are ranked #34 or better by the ARPI always have received at large selections, and teams ranked #58 or poorer never have received at large selections. There also are standards involving pairings of data such as conference average ARPI and team conference regular season and conference tournament finishing positions. These patterns provide a basis for identifying what decisions the Committee will make if it follows historic patterns as well as for identifying when the Committee goes off the beaten path. If you're interested in these patterns, go here for at large selections:

and go here for seeds:

And, if you're interested, when looking at weekly RPI rankings, in the weekly ranges that teams have been in that ultimately have gotten at large selections and seeds, go here:

Altogether, these resources should give you an idea of who's realistically in play for at large selections and seeds as we go through the season; who's a safe bet for an at large selection or seed when we get to the end of the season; and who's at play for the last at large selections and seeds, and what the likely Committee debate points are, when the Committee is making its final tough decisions.

2. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For fun, if I disregard for now the 0.500 winning record requirement to qualify for an at large selection and also disregard automatic qualifiers, here are likely seeds and at large selections based on teams' records through the Thursday, September 24 games, based on the Committee's historic patterns. At this point, not enough teams fit the patterns to fill out an entire 64-team bracket. Within their groups -- #1 seeds, #2 seeds, #3 seeds, #4 seeds, and at large selections -- the teams are arranged in alphabetical order. A 5 represents an at large selection.

An interesting note, at least to me: Virginia, at this point, does not have a single positive result against a Top 60 team -- not a win, and not a tie.

1 BYU
    1 Clemson
    1 FloridaState
    1 PennState
    2 ArizonaU
    2 NotreDame
    2 Rutgers
    2 Stanford
    3 Duke
    3 NorthCarolinaU
    3 SantaClara
    3 WashingtonU
    4 CaliforniaU
    4 FloridaU
    4 IllinoisU
    4 SouthCarolinaU
    5 Auburn
    5 BostonCollege
    5 ConnecticutU
    5 Georgetown
    5 Hofstra
    5 IndianaU
    5 KentuckyU
    5 LongBeachState
    5 LoyolaMarymount
    5 LSU
    5 MarylandU
    5 MichiganState
    5 MichiganU
    5 MinnesotaU
    5 MississippiU
    5 MissouriU
    5 NebraskaU
    5 Northeastern
    5 NorthTexas
    5 NorthwesternU
    5 OhioState
    5 OklahomaU
    5 Pepperdine
    5 PortlandU
    5 Purdue
    5 SanDiegoState
    5 Seattle
    5 SouthAlabama
    5 SouthernCalifornia
    5 SouthFlorida
    5 StJohns
    5 Syracuse
    5 TennesseeU
    5 TexasA&M
    5 TexasTech
    5 Tulsa
    5 UCF
    5 UNCWilmington
    5 VirginiaTech
    5 VirginiaU
    5 WashingtonState
    5 WestVirginiaU

goaleemama and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Great stuff. Do you have a link to the pre championship manual?

4. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cliveworshipper repped this.
  5. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you get to looking over this week's RPI rankings, here are the historical ranges (meaning, based on what's happened over the last eight years) for seeds and at large selections, given where we are in the course of the season:

#1 seed range: teams ranked #22 or better

#2 seed range: teams ranked #42 or better

#3 seed range: teams ranked #85 or better

#4 seed range: teams ranked #85 or better

At risk of not getting an at large selection: teams ranked #11 or poorer

Having the possibility of getting an at large selection: teams ranked #148 or better

Thus, at large bubble: teams ranked #11 through #148

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following on my previous post -- disregarding for now the 0.500 winning record requirement to qualify for an at large selection and also disregarding automatic qualifiers -- here are likely seeds and at large selections based on teams' records through the Sunday, September 27 games, based on the Committee's historic patterns. At this point, not enough teams fit the patterns to fill out an entire 64-team bracket -- thus there are only 52 teams on the list. Within their groups -- #1 seeds, #2 seeds, #3 seeds, #4 seeds, and at large selections -- the teams are arranged in alphabetical order. A 5 represents an at large selection.

At this point, this mostly is fun and to see how things change as the season progresses. I'm guessing there will be some very significant changes.

1 Clemson
    1 FloridaState
    1 MinnesotaU
    1 PennState
    2 BYU
    2 NotreDame
    2 SantaClara
    2 Stanford
    3 ArizonaU
    3 NorthCarolinaU
    3 Rutgers
    3 SouthFlorida
    4 NorthwesternU
    4 SouthCarolinaU
    4 VirginiaTech
    4 WestVirginiaU
    5 Auburn
    5 BostonCollege
    5 CaliforniaU
    5 CalPoly
    5 ColoradoU
    5 ConnecticutU
    5 Duke
    5 FloridaU
    5 Georgetown
    5 Hofstra
    5 IllinoisU
    5 IndianaU
    5 KansasU
    5 KentuckyU
    5 LongBeachState
    5 LoyolaMarymount
    5 LSU
    5 MichiganState
    5 MississippiU
    5 MissouriU
    5 NebraskaU
    5 OhioState
    5 OklahomaU
    5 Pepperdine
    5 SouthAlabama
    5 SouthernCalifornia
    5 StJohns
    5 TennesseeU
    5 TexasA&M
    5 TexasTech
    5 Tulsa
    5 UCF
    5 UNCWilmington
    5 VirginiaU
    5 WashingtonState
    5 WashingtonU

7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continuing along for this week -- disregarding for now the 0.500 winning record requirement to qualify for an at large selection and also disregarding automatic qualifiers -- here are likely seeds and at large selections based on teams' records through the Sunday, October 4 games, based on the Committee's historic patterns. At this point, not enough teams fit the patterns to fill out an entire 64-team bracket -- thus there are only 49 teams on the list. Within their groups -- #1 seeds, #2 seeds, #3 seeds, #4 seeds, and at large selections -- the teams are arranged in alphabetical order. A 5 represents an at large selection.

At this point, this still mostly is fun and to see how things change as the season progresses. I'm guessing there will be some very significant changes.

1 FloridaState
    1 MinnesotaU
    1 PennState
    1 Stanford
    2 Auburn
    2 Clemson
    2 Rutgers
    2 SouthFlorida
    3 ArizonaU
    3 NorthCarolinaU
    3 VirginiaTech
    3 WestVirginiaU
    4 BYU
    4 NorthwesternU
    4 SouthCarolinaU
    4 WashingtonU
    5 BostonCollege
    5 CaliforniaU
    5 Cincinnati
    5 Duke
    5 FloridaU
    5 Hofstra
    5 IllinoisU
    5 IndianaU
    5 KentuckyU
    5 LongBeachState
    5 LoyolaMarymount
    5 LSU
    5 Marshall
    5 MichiganState
    5 MichiganU
    5 MississippiU
    5 MissouriU
    5 NebraskaU
    5 Northeastern
    5 NotreDame
    5 OhioState
    5 OklahomaU
    5 SantaClara
    5 SouthAlabama
    5 SouthernCalifornia
    5 StJohns
    5 TennesseeU
    5 TexasA&M
    5 TexasTech
    5 UNCWilmington
    5 VirginiaU
    5 WashingtonState
    5 WisconsinU

8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With another week's games in the system (through October 11) and still disregarding the 0.500 winning record requirement to qualify for an at large selection, here are likely seeds and at large selections based on the Committee's historic patterns. At this point, I come up with a list of 43 teams that look like they would be "in" if the Committee were deciding today. Fortuitously, that group includes teams from 10 conferences, so if I assume the top team from each conference on my list will be the conference's automatic qualifier, this leaves 21 automatic qualifiers that are not on my list of 43 teams. Adding my 43 and those 21 together gives a full bracket of 64 teams.

In my list, within their groups -- #1 seeds, #2 seeds, #3 seeds, #4 seeds, and at large selections -- the teams are arranged in alphabetical order. A 5 represents an at large selection.

This remains mostly fun and to see how things change as the season progresses. But although significant changes still are likely, things are starting to shape up a little bit.

1 Auburn
    1 Clemson
    1 FloridaState
    1 PennState
    2 FloridaU
    2 NotreDame
    2 VirginiaU
    2 WestVirginiaU
    3 MinnesotaU
    3 NorthCarolinaU
    3 SantaClara
    3 SouthFlorida
    4 BYU
    4 SouthCarolinaU
    4 Stanford
    4 VirginiaTech
    5 ArizonaU
    5 BostonCollege
    5 CaliforniaU
    5 ConnecticutU
    5 Duke
    5 Hofstra
    5 IllinoisU
    5 KentuckyU
    5 LongBeachState
    5 LoyolaMarymount
    5 LSU
    5 MichiganU
    5 MississippiU
    5 MissouriU
    5 NebraskaU
    5 NorthwesternU
    5 OhioState
    5 Rutgers
    5 SouthernCalifornia
    5 StJohns
    5 TennesseeU
    5 TexasA&M
    5 TexasTech
    5 UCF
    5 WashingtonState
    5 WashingtonU
    5 WisconsinU

9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me, this is a repeat of an entry I just put on the 2015 RPI thread, but I want to be sure it reaches those who are interested:

For those interested, at the RPI for Division I Women's Soccer website, I've gotten rid of the old Blog page that didn't work very well and set up a new one that hopefully will work better.

Regularly during the Fall soccer season, and from time to time during the rest of the year, I'll enter blog posts onto the page that I believe will be of interest to Division I Women's Soccer coaches and to fans with serious interest in the RPI and the NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Committee's NCAA Tournament decision-making process. I'll also answer questions that I believe will be interesting to coaches and serious fans.

I've now set up the Blog page so anyone interested can subscribe to receive posts through a web-based news reader or via email. The instructions on how to do it are at the top of the page.

If you're interested, here's a link to the page: RPI for Division I Women's Soccer Blog.

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With another week's games in the system (through October 18) and still disregarding the 0.500 winning record requirement to qualify for an at large selection, here are likely seeds and at large selections based on the Committee's historic patterns. I've cut off the at large selections at the point necessary in order to allow room in the 64-team bracket for the automatic qualifiers that are not among the highly ranked teams.

In my list, within their groups -- #1 seeds, #2 seeds, #3 seeds, #4 seeds, and at large selections -- the teams are arranged in alphabetical order. A 5 represents an at large selection.

1 Clemson
    1 FloridaState
    1 PennState
    1 Rutgers
    2 Auburn
    2 Duke
    2 FloridaU
    2 VirginiaU
    3 CaliforniaU
    3 SouthFlorida
    3 Stanford
    3 WestVirginiaU
    4 BYU
    4 NotreDame
    4 SantaClara
    4 VirginiaTech
    5 ArizonaU
    5 ConnecticutU
    5 Georgetown
    5 Hofstra
    5 IllinoisU
    5 KentuckyU
    5 LSU
    5 MichiganU
    5 MinnesotaU
    5 MississippiU
    5 MissouriU
    5 NebraskaU
    5 NorthCarolinaU
    5 NorthwesternU
    5 OhioState
    5 SouthAlabama
    5 SouthCarolinaU
    5 SouthernCalifornia
    5 StJohns
    5 TexasA&M
    5 TexasTech
    5 UCF
    5 UNCWilmington
    5 WashingtonState
    5 WashingtonU
    5 William&Mary
    5 WisconsinU

11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry all, but my "likely" seeds and at large selections that I posted yesterday were off. I forgot a process step before telling my computer to spit out the numbers. Here is a corrected list. This time, I'm putting it in a sort of order - not for the seeds really although for them the order means something, but in order for the non-seeds. The list likely includes 10 conference champion automatic qualifiers. It's cut off at 43 teams, to leave room in the 64-team NCAA Tournament bracket for 21 additional automatic qualifiers.

I suspect that the Colonial and Big West teams on the list will see their positions degrade over the next few weeks, as the teams from the power conferences get more opportunities to accumulate good results against highly ranked teams (i.e., the teams from their own conferences).

As a note, in the outer edges of each seed pod and the at large selections, at this point the system I'm using requires me to make some judgments. They're fairly mechanical; and hopefully they'll be gone by the end of conference tournament play.

1 FloridaState
    1 VirginiaU
    1 Rutgers
    1 PennState

2 FloridaU
    2 WestVirginiaU
    2 Clemson
    2 Auburn

3 Duke
    3 NotreDame
    3 VirginiaTech
    3 Stanford

4 SouthCarolinaU
    4 SouthFlorida
    4 NorthCarolinaU
    4 ConnecticutU

5 MinnesotaU
    5 MississippiU
    5 WisconsinU
    5 TexasA&M
    5 CaliforniaU
    5 BYU
    5 ArizonaU
    5 WashingtonU
    5 SantaClara
    5 MichiganU
    5 MissouriU
    5 NebraskaU
    5 OhioState
    5 IllinoisU
    5 SouthernCalifornia
    5 TexasTech
    5 William&Mary
    5 StJohns
    5 NorthwesternU
    5 CalStateFullerton
    5 UCF
    5 WashingtonState
    5 LSU
    5 Hofstra
    5 KentuckyU
    5 Cincinnati
    5 UNCWilmington

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    OK, CP... Straighten me out here if I'm missing something critical.

Given your statement that teams of ARPI or 34 or lower always make the tournament and 58 or above never make an at large selection (the bubble falls between), then based on the current ARPI the following conferences will have entries (my prediction is the first number):

7 ACC ........ 7 locks and one bubble
    7 SEC ........ 5 locks and 3 bubbles
    7 Big 1o ..... 4 locks and 4 bubbles
    6 PAC-12.... 6 locks and no bubble
    3 American Athletic ...3 locks and 1 bubble
    3 Colonial .... 2 locks and 2 bubbles
    3 Big 12 .... 2 locks and 2 bubbles
    2 Big East... 2 locks and 1 bubble
    2 West Coast... 1 lock and 1 bubble

A total of 40 teams from the above 9 conferences. There are 23 remaining conferences whose champions will be in the NCAA for a total of 63.

This is interesting for me to contemplate. I chose a total of 9 teams to add to the locks to get my personal prediction of how many teams the "multiple entry" conferences would have. By doing so, when the other 23 conferences were added in, that left only one position remaining to fill the bracket, for a total of 10 bubble selections. If it is indeed all fairly mechanical, and only ten slots are actually wrestled over, then I can certainly understand your fascination with trying to divine how it is that the committee makes the actual bubble decisions. Assuming that your historic "34 and below and 58 and above" remains constant, the committee is choosing ten bubble teams out of 20 candidates.

hykos1045 repped this.
  13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I completely understand your post, but I think you're about right. The only thing is, it looks like you're talking about where the teams are now. The 35 to 57 as the "bubble teams" (which may include some AQs, so it actually may be fewer teams) is as of the end of the season. So, any use of those numbers now (hopefully, I'll post my this week's results tomorrow) is more for educational purposes to see how things develop over the course of the season, than for representing what the Committee will do once the end of the season arrives. BUT, we are getting close to the end of the season, so we now are getting more direct views and fewer shadows. (I must be really tired to have come up with that description.)

Oh, what the heck, here's what my system comes up with this week, for the 64 team field if decided on today with the Committee following precedent established over the last eight years and with the team currently at the top of each conference's rankings being the conference's automatic qualifier. (For the AQs, if two teams are tied at the top of a conference, the first in the alphabet is the one I give the AQ designations.) What you're seeing is seed (#1 through #4, not necessarily in order; #5 as at large selection, in order; and AQ = automatic qualifier). The order of information is seed or at large selection/AQ/ARPI rank/Team

1 AQ 2 VirginiaU
    1 3 PennState
    1 4 Rutgers
    1 1 FloridaState
    2 AQ 6 FloridaU
    2 AQ 7 WestVirginiaU
    2 10 NorthCarolinaU
    2 AQ 5 Stanford
    3 11 VirginiaTech
    3 13 Auburn
    3 8 Clemson
    3 14 ArizonaU
    4 AQ 9 ConnecticutU
    4 19 CaliforniaU
    4 15 MississippiU
    4 18 SouthFlorida
    5 17 NotreDame
    5 12 Duke
    5 25 MinnesotaU
    5 29 TexasA&M
    5 30 SouthCarolinaU
    5 16 SantaClara
    5 23 WashingtonU
    5 28 BYU
    5 49 MichiganU
    5 22 UCF
    5 41 NorthwesternU
    5 37 OhioState
    5 26 SouthernCalifornia
    5 27 TexasTech
    5 31 William&Mary
    5 43 KentuckyU
    5 42 NebraskaU
    5 51 MissouriU
    5 44 LSU
    5 33 Georgetown
    5 24 WashingtonState
    5 39 UNCWilmington
    AQ 34 WisconsinU
    AQ 20 Hofstra
    AQ 32 CalStateFullerton
    AQ 35 StJohns
    AQ 38 Princeton
    AQ 21 SouthAlabama
    AQ 36 LoyolaMarymount
    AQ 46 NorthTexas
    AQ 54 SanDiegoState
    AQ 75 BostonU
    AQ 95 FloridaGulfCoast
    AQ 139 Milwaukee
    AQ 70 Seattle
    AQ 89 FairleighDickinson
    AQ 73 Samford
    AQ 79 BallState
    AQ 87 Liberty
    AQ 101 IdahoU
    AQ 177 Hartford
    AQ 218 Drake
    AQ 80 Monmouth
    AQ 115 MurrayState
    AQ 142 NorthDakotaState
    AQ 157 StephenFAustin
    AQ 258 JacksonState
    AQ 45 GeorgeWashington

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Very interesting indeed. Thanks.

Yes I was very clear that my post only involved present stats and that there will be changes in 10 days that the committee will be working with,

However, I was using the present stats as representative to make the conclusion that the committee will then only be looking at the non AQs in the 35 through 57 group to choose the remaining at large selections and the number is apparently not that large.

My math may have been lacking, but I was interested to see what kind of process they would go through when their choices are limited by the historic cut-offs you have noticed over the years.

But never mind my rambling, thanks for your post! (I'll wait until the shouting is over in a couple of weeks.)

Cheers!

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I get it. You're right that, from history, the teams from 35 to 57 are the teams that are (1) at risk of not getting an at large selection but with the possibility of getting one. And, if you take out the automatic qualifiers that are in that range, then you end up with the Committee really looking at a fairly small group of teams, maybe 15 to 20.

16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what my numbers say the likely seeding and at large selections would be following the Sunday, November 1 games. I've also indicated the Automatic Qualifiers, based on teams' regular season conference standings, so this gives a picture of a potential Tournament field. What you're seeing is seed or at large selection (5)/AQs/ARPI Rank/Team. The at large selections are in order starting with the most clearly in:

1 AQ 5 VirginiaU
    1 AQ 2 PennState
    1 3 Rutgers
    1 1 FloridaState
    2 AQ 8 FloridaU
    2 AQ 6 WestVirginiaU
    2 AQ 4 Stanford
    2 11 NorthCarolinaU
    3 10 NotreDame
    3 9 Clemson
    3 12 Auburn
    3 15 SouthFlorida
    4 AQ 7 ConnecticutU
    4 13 VirginiaTech
    4 17 ArizonaU
    4 19 BYU
    5 14 Duke
    5 20 SantaClara
    5 21 CaliforniaU
    5 36 MinnesotaU
    5 23 MississippiU
    5 25 SouthCarolinaU
    5 22 SouthernCalifornia
    5 34 BostonCollege
    5 28 TexasA&M
    5 27 OhioState
    5 46 MichiganU
    5 24 UCF
    5 41 NorthwesternU
    5 40 WashingtonU
    5 39 LSU
    5 54 IllinoisU
    5 29 William&Mary
    5 33 TexasTech
    5 47 WisconsinU
    5 32 Georgetown
    5 50 MissouriU
    5 30 WashingtonState
    5 42 OklahomaU

17. spykemanne

spykemanne Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Is Hofstra on the list??? USA???

18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, sorry, I forgot top include the unseeded Automatic Qualifiers. Here's the list again, with the unseeded AQs at the bottom. They include Hofstra and South Alabama.

1 AQ 5 VirginiaU
    1 AQ 2 PennState
    1 3 Rutgers
    1 1 FloridaState
    2 AQ 8 FloridaU
    2 AQ 6 WestVirginiaU
    2 AQ 4 Stanford
    2 11 NorthCarolinaU
    3 10 NotreDame
    3 9 Clemson
    3 12 Auburn
    3 15 SouthFlorida
    4 AQ 7 ConnecticutU
    4 13 VirginiaTech
    4 17 ArizonaU
    4 19 BYU
    5 14 Duke
    5 20 SantaClara
    5 21 CaliforniaU
    5 36 MinnesotaU
    5 23 MississippiU
    5 25 SouthCarolinaU
    5 22 SouthernCalifornia
    5 34 BostonCollege
    5 28 TexasA&M
    5 27 OhioState
    5 46 MichiganU
    5 24 UCF
    5 41 NorthwesternU
    5 40 WashingtonU
    5 39 LSU
    5 54 IllinoisU
    5 29 William&Mary
    5 33 TexasTech
    5 47 WisconsinU
    5 32 Georgetown
    5 50 MissouriU
    5 30 WashingtonState
    5 42 OklahomaU
    AQ 26 StJohns
    AQ 35 CalStateFullerton
    AQ 31 Princeton
    AQ 16 Hofstra
    AQ 18 SouthAlabama
    AQ 45 GeorgeWashington
    AQ 62 SanFrancisco
    AQ 52 SanDiegoState
    AQ 69 BostonU
    AQ 75 BallState
    AQ 91 FloridaGulfCoast
    AQ 70 Samford
    AQ 85 FairleighDickinson
    AQ 79 Liberty
    AQ 90 IdahoU
    AQ 134 Milwaukee
    AQ 154 StephenFAustin
    AQ 155 Hartford
    AQ 81 Monmouth
    AQ 109 MurrayState
    AQ 158 NorthDakotaState
    AQ 218 Drake
    AQ 248 MississippiValley
    AQ 48 NorthTexas
    AQ 60 Seattle

19. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    7 out of 33 at large bids from the Big Ten? I don't care what the numbers say. No way the BIG is that good. 8 from the ACC - fine. I've seen a ton of Big Ten soccer this year and the top five in the standings can compete with anyone on most days. OSU, Minnesota, and Illinois - not so much.

pwrcln repped this.
  20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There still are more games to play, so maybe you're right. We'll see.

One thing to remember, though, is that it doesn't matter what anyone has seen, in terms of teams actually playing. All that matters is their records, looked at in the various ways spelled out in the selection criteria. For the at large selections, the Committee is obligated to use the selection criteria and only those criteria.

21. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    What is the lowest possible RPI to be considered for a #1 seed? 8?

22. soccerposter

soccerposter New Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Looking back, the Big Ten had a very good nonconference season overall. I could see them getting anywhere from 7-9!! If Nebraska can sneak in as well. Like cpthomas said, lots of soccer this week. Looking forward to the SEC Tournament today.

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Committee can go as far down the list as it wants. But, based on the last eight years, the poorest RPI rank to get a #1 seed has been 7.

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 cpthomas, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    There's an interesting situation that could occur and really put the Women's Soccer Committee to the test. South Alabama currently is ranked #18 in the ARPI. What if they don't win their conference tournament? Will they still get an at large selection?

Not winning their conference tournament would mean they have suffered a loss or a tie after which they lost the shootout. This would drop them down on the RPI list, but not that much. I believe they'll still be well within the RPI ranking range that always has gotten at large selections.

But look at rankings of the teams they've beaten, lost to, and tied:

Won against: 61, 74, 77, 95, 102, 120, 123, 141, 208, 229, 233, 244, 247, 252, 274

Lost to: 13, 15

Tied: 80
    So, what does their record demonstrate? That they can win against teams ranked #61 or poorer.

When the Committee gets to applying the at large selection criteria, of which the RPI is only one, they're going to have to make a very tough decision. Except for its RPI rank, South Alabama does not have the credentials to get an at large selection. But, if the Committee declines to give them an at large selection, it will raise, in public, a major question about the legitimacy of the RPI.

It's worth noting that my Iteration 5 URPI has South Alabama ranked #43 and my Elo system has it ranked #75. Iteration 5 corrects the RPI's problem with how it measures strength of schedule but, because it still has the basic RPI structure, it still tends to underrate teams from stronger conferences and to overrate teams from weaker conferences. Looking at who South Alabama played, there's a reasonable argument that the mid-point between the Iteration 5 rank and the Elo system rank is right about where South Alabama should be. That would put them at #59.

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yah, RPI also is sequence-insensitive: it ignores which subset of your foes you lost to.

Elo is the opposite: it is highly sequence-sensitive. We need a Great Compromise, or something :p