2015 NBA Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by benni..., Jun 17, 2015.

1. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What's Chris Paul ever won? You think lance Stephenson is ok with under ten shots every night for the whole season? When analyzing smith you guys really should look at the prior performances, not a 30 game run. Tough for me to see it working.

2. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Nowhere near 38%. I think he can be around 33%, which is slightly bellow league average. It's all down to shot selection and getting open shots.

Judging him on what he did in high school? I think he's come a long way since then. I don't know, that Indiana situation was very weird ever since that Granger trade landed them Turner. I think that's one of the reason Stepehenson might've left (along with the $). Charlotte's role was just too big from him, but he did lose interest quick.

Besides, he's not much more than a role player on a championship team - exactly the role he'll have with the Clippers. It's a risk, but the Clippers don't have the luxury to afford anything else at this point. Plus, they did some proven commodity in Pierce. Then again that could also be a risk, taking his age into account.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He wanted to leave because he had beef with Chris Paul , never said anything about doc. Sure, maybe it's overblown but it has some merit obviously. About sterling, Considering it's a black dominated lg where the players run the lg the sterling fiasco was huge. It wasn't a matter of 3 or 4 days, it lasted months with nba players on other teams saying they wouldn't want to play for the clippers. I just don't think it'll work, nothing against the doc.

4. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Oh the good old, what's he ever won... I'm guesing the same excuse goes for Westbrook, LA, Cousins, Harden, Durant, Rose, right?

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Lance shoulda went back home to Brooklyn. Lol

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not talking about what Chris Paul has won, I'm talking about his desire to win overriding most other things that may annoy him. Stephenson is going to have to be okay with it, because he squandered his chance to be "the guy" in Charlotte. And I think when analyzing Smith we have more of a problem differentiating role than sample size. In Detroit, he was starting every game, trying desperately to fill the offensive vacuum with the Pistons, and only exacerbating the problem because he was out of control. In Houston he was able to refocus on what he did well, which was take wide-open jumpers, get paint points, and play defence, without his role spiralling out of control with him getting frustrated by an offensive vacuum like it did in Detroit. His situation in LA is going to be a lot like Houston, and very little like Detroit.

zohee repped this.
  7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Barring last years postseason I've seen cp3 fold like a lawn chair. Westbrook and durant have been to the finals and everyone you mentioned is much younger than Paul/has had fewer oppurtunities. At a certain point people have to start looking at cp3, he's been getting passes for years from the media IMO. He treated New Orleans like a piece of prison ass and an excuse for not winning.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Westbrook and Durant both folded like lawn chairs against San Antonio as well. Heck, Westbrook, despite his crazy stats, couldn't lead his team to finish strong and make the playoffs.

9. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do you think you can talk to lance Stephenson like a role player though? Lol. I'd like to go see Chris Paul boss him around, something tells me it won't end well on a Tuesday morning shoot around on the road but that's just me. Being a role player is accepting it long term, not being a role player from the all star break on. The whole thing you are talking about is all speculation, same with what I'm saying. I never compared his role at houston to his role in Detroit. I'm just saying I doubt he performs for the clippers like he did in Houston.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Disagree with all this. Westbrook last year> cp3's career in New Orleans

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we've reached an impasse on the subject, then.

12. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Wait, what? So, you're saying Paul should be held accountable for not reaching the Finals in New Orleans with a team that had basically just David West and Chandler? You can make a point about his time with the Clippers, but in NO? Really?

Let's just step back and analyze this for a second. Bear in mind, I've been a huge CP3 critic since he came to the Clippers:

2010 WCF: Dallas versus OKC - do the Clippers have the better team than those two teams? No
    2011 WCF: OKC versus Spurs - same question.. No
    2012 WCF: Spurs versus Memphis - You could make a point about Memphis, but the Clippers wouldn't have gone past the Spurs anyway
    2013 WCF: Spurs versus OKC - No
    2014 WCF: GSW versus Houston - Probably better than Houston, but again - no way they're getting past the Warriors

In summary, have the Clippers in any point, since Chris Paul arrived had the best team in the Western Conference?
    No. So maybe, just maybe there's a reason for their inability to reach the Finals.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bravo. I feel as though way too much individual credit or demerit is given based on what their TEAMS accomplish in the playoffs. Jordan without Pippen kept losing in the first round. I'm of the radical opinion that even if hypothetically, Pippen was removed from the equation and Jordan never won a ring, it wouldn't diminish or reflect on Jordan's quality as a player, but rather on his team as a whole. I'll never understand the logic of "his teams never did X, so therefore he's a worse player". I don't understand it with Lebron, CP3, Messi, or anyone else. You're punishing a player for something he can only assume, at max, 20% of the responsibility for.

14. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Exactly. Now for example, while I expect nothing but excellence from Paul, he has been doing every thing he can in order for his team to win.

There have also been instances where he was guility of making mistakes that cost the team (OKC last year). I'm not blind to that, but saying he hasn't been held accountable. Well yeah, he's been giving it all he's got ever since he's joined the league. The same goes for Griffin.

Though regarding Jordan, better players make you better. So, while I get what you're saying, would Jordan be regarded as the best player ever, had he played on a team like the Clippers (before 2010)? I pretty much doubt. That doesn't discredit his individual quality, but he wouldn't have the opportunity to showcase it.

15. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    On another note. A player that has really been one of my favourite coming out of last year's draft was Kyle Anderson (who currently plays for the Spurs). He's been playing some good basketball in the SL, so from an individual perspective, I hope this is the year he breaks out.

On a team perspective, I hope he doesn't and the Spurs fall the mediocrity! Damn you White Walkers and your Great Other!

dark knight repped this.
  16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I was just about to say

Lets create a thread for under achieving LA teams and they can slob on each other over there.

17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1242 MatthausSammer, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Respectful, thoughtful conversation about what we can reasonably expect from the Clippers given their unexpectedly active free agency is now "slobbing"? I don't ever want to not be "slobbing" then.

EDIT: Hey @zohee, your team sux and shld bow down to mah Lakers. LA is Purple and Gold 4EVAR!

Happy?

Emperor Adriano and benni... repped this.
  18. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    @MatthausSammer LOLZ Kobi will neva be az gud az MJ - the ERA of LA Lozerz iz gonn!

benni... repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I mean u lot type too much lol

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's do a game

Someone mentions a team and the next person posts about them and where they will finish/off season aquisitions etc

I'll start

Kings

dark knight and MatthausSammer repped this.
  21. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Outside of playoffs, but will be pushing for 8th seed only to fall short with about 8 games to go, that's assuming Karl and Cousins get along and Cousins isn't toxic to the Kings locker room like he was last year (allegedly)

Mavericks

thebigman repped this.
  22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will be a mediocre and struggling team. I'd put them at around 11th in the Western Conference.

Jazz

thebigman repped this.
  23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Will show progress, but still not enough for the playoffs.

boston

thebigman repped this.
  24. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bottom tier team fighting for playoffs but not bad enough for top pick

LA Clippers :ROFLMAO:

thebigman repped this.
  25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Will finish in the top 4 again in the West, only to be eliminated in the second round to a team like OKC or Grizz again.

TWolves

Emperor Adriano and benni... repped this.