2015 NASL SPRING SEASON ATTENDANCE

Discussion in 'NASL' started by brentgoulet, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why they put in a proposal and have been trying hard to spend 400 million to build a stadium & development in Nassau County. o_O

2. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the lack of attendance is certainly hurting the club. The Brooklyn borough president gave a lot of lip service about the Cosmos should move to Brooklyn, I'd talk to him about putting a stadium on Coney Island or even doing something similiar to the Timbers and spending some of that 400 mil to expand MCU.

The One X repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #178 The Irish Rover, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Both.

Assuming they have a FO that's targeting anyone that is. That's the funny thing about legacies; they don't work unless you do.

4. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4,786 in Atlanta
    7,217 in Carolina
    10,524 in Indy
    6,851 in Tampa

jeffcoop and Sam U El repped this.
  5. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    How does Indy do their attendance? Paid or actually showing up?

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    paid. the same as everyone else.

bullsear repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a small number in Edmonton.

8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Still cold in Canada. Whether the Oilers are still playing or not NHL playoffs take a huge president over NASL Plenty of Canadian players still playing in NHL Playoffs and IIHF Word Canpionships Team Canada NHL players going for Gold Medal now up 6-1 after a few weeks of pool and knock out rounds.

9. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2,236 in Edmonton

10. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Code:
    Week 7             Season Average(2014)    Weekly Total
    Jacksonville           10,875                 N/A
    Indianapolis           10,524(10,510)         10,524
    Minnesota              9,146(5,577)           N/A
    Ft. Lauderdale         7,290(3,243)           N/A
    New York               7,071(4,677)           N/A
    Tampa Bay              6,440(5,214)           6,851
    San Antonio            6,427(6,474)           N/A
    Carolina               5,235(4,533)           7,217
    Atlanta                4,712(4,461)           4,786
    Ottawa                 3,859(2,552)           N/A
    Edmonton               2,516(3,545)           2,236

Season Average    Week Average
    NASL 2015 Spring      6,446            6,323
    NASL 2014 Spring      5,226            4,018
    Difference            1,039

Railhawks average took a big jump from 4,574 to 5,235 this week.

This is the first week where Edmonton played, and as a league the NASL still averaged over 6k.

jeffcoop repped this.
  11. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Big game this Wednesday as well in the Canadian Championships vs MLS's Vancouver Whitecaps as well which may be better attended and a bigger draw plus a long weekend with many out of town. Still, they should do better than 2236.

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched most of the match ... it was a sun shiney lovely day that was apparently in the mid 50s to 60 with barely a breeze.

13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I Would think so as well.
    Question will the game be broadcast in EDM on their regular CityTV2 partner?

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The Raul Effect :D

Date Home Away Venue Capacity Attendance Last Match (+/-)
    5/16 Atlanta Silverbacks Jacksonville Armada FC Silverbacks Park 5000 4736 5511 -775
    5/16 Carolina RailHawks New York Cosmos WakeMed Stadium 7000 7217 4042 3175

Of note, the Raul Effect continues as Carolina jumps over 3,000 in attendance when the Cosmos visited Saturday. The drop in Atlanta is also the same result. This week was actually their second best of the season, but suffered a drop over 775 because it was standing room only for the Cosmos. The irony is that the Raul Effect is only significant when the Cosmos play on the road.

15. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For Tampa. Al Lang changes and upgrades look to be paying dividends both off and on the field.`
    Strikers new ownership as well are putting much more fans in the seats at an already stadium that was reno'd as a SSS.

16. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It'll be a Canadian National TV broadcast on Sportsnet like last weeks match.

cflsteve repped this.
  17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Lame excuses. I live in Edmonton and go to Eddies games. The problem is that most people in the city just don't care about the Eddies no matter what the club does. Hockey has nothing to do with it.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How come? Do they have a ticket sales dept. that works hard, or is there nothing?

19. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    futgod repped this.
  20. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yes I agree but it is where FCE and NASL sit in EDM at the current time.
    Following the NASL and all sports and leagues in US, Canada and beyond. FCE is just getting started on the road to success. They are right on board with groundwork being laid for soccer in Canada. IMHO I see a ton of positives and FCE is one of them and will grow right along with it.

Question for you.
    Is TSNGO streaming all NASL games, or at least the FCE and Fury matches, in conjunction with their partner ESPN.

I know I and many people who go right to the WatchESPN/ESPN3 everyday to check out whats on. NASL being right there has me tuning in with its easy access. With interest in seeing the newer and renovated venues an extra bonus for my interest.

21. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A credit to the new era of committed ownership groups. These 4 new ownership groups have made it happen within the last 2-3 years. Where previously could not do it in over a decade.
    Regionally the Sunshine State is perfect for soccer for a lot of reasons. These guys have tapped into all of them in an organized way and the results are obvious.:thumbsup:

Blando13 repped this.
  22. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    The Eddies front office were a mess the first few years. They couldnt organize anything properly. The team was pretty bad and a lot of local players who were fan favorites were cut/tradded which alienated the local soccer community.

Having games on Sunday afternoons in Canada in the summer is never going to work as everyone goes on vacation and to their cottage/camping etc.

If the team was playing in the right stadium from day one (they moved from their old location after a few seasons) was a winner out the gate, played games on a weeknight, had a coherent front office that understood soccer from day one, this club might be in a much different position. Essentially you need to build enough hype going into season one to make the team a sought after event (ie Indy Eleven, TFC) Playing catchup after getting it wrong is soooo much harder.

However, I believe the Canadian market is much tougher than the American market for sports. By our nature, Canadians are apathetic to any sport that isnt hockey (and the CFL for Western Canadians). Just look at our history with baseball, basketball, non MLS soccer etc.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thats a good assessment of the Challenges for FCE being part of the new NASL.

I have followed the NASL begin to evolve pretty quickly with clubs getting better ownership groups in place. FCE IMHO is moving in that direction.

Stadium improvements greatly, a more local and available network with CityTV2, and being a part of the Getty Place summer activities.

Weekend games in the summer seem to be a theme with the CFL also facing similar issues. CFL being a much more established league it is not as big an issue. Enough so though that they have been going with Thursday Night games in the summer before moving to all weekend in the Fall post Labor Day.

Would/Could/Should they try some Thursday night home matches in the Spring/summer portion of the season?

24. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I am under the impression Minnesota United only counts butts in the seats.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your impression is probably wrong. ;)

bullsear repped this.