2015 NASL SPRING SEASON ATTENDANCE

Discussion in 'NASL' started by brentgoulet, Apr 1, 2015.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    5093 in Ottawa

ManuSooner and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sellout - New York Cosmos home opener vs Tampa Bay Rowdies :
    [​IMG]

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks pretty full!
    Screenshot (5).png

ManuSooner, Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    THEY BROKE THE 2013 OPENER. #NYCvTBR 12,550 attendance.

5. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the big question is can they keep those numbers up this time around or will they return to the 4-6k numbers.

bullsear and Sam U El repped this.
  6. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4,489 in Carolina
    5,305 in San Antonio

7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    that's a disappointing number right? was this their home opener?

8. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    No, 2 weeks ago they hosted the Rowdies

9. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope second game. Their home opener did have over a thousand more people though.

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Next game will be in a 7,5 stadium

[​IMG]

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    • 2351 in Edmonton

12. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. Good thing the rest of the league is stepping it up so far. I guess every league has to have one of these clubs.

brentgoulet repped this.
  13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I feel sorry for this guy

[​IMG]

14. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I just don't know how to get fans out in this ciy. The club's early years turned a lot of fans off by being disorganized, and cutting some influential local players. Additionally, not winning very much hurts.

I think playing on the weekend is the hardest part. Friday night games might have worked, but the CFL (Canadian football) club next door has some sort of agreement with the city which doesn't allow the eddies to play then. Marketing to families doesn't really work (as we all know).

Currently, our big local hype machine (Hanson Boakai) doesn't even make it in the 18 man game day squad due to discipline issues with the coach.

brentgoulet repped this.
  15. shermanator

shermanator New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think it's time to start questioning the long term viability of soccer in Edmonton. People in the city just don't seem to care about anything but hockey.

Zoidberg and brentgoulet repped this.
  16. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why San Antonio just doesn't tell NASL that during Fiesta that they should not host. Its a wasted home date. Fiesta is just a huge draw to where they will not get the walk in fans. So why not be smart and plan ahead. Would of been a perfect weekend to be away.

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It didn't work well back in the old NASL Driller days also.

It just won't resonate everywhere for whatever reason.

The bigger issue is that NASL needs all the markets they can get right now, so here'shoping they hold on for a while.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it is not they (NASL) this is up to the Edmonton owner, if he ever gets sick of losing his money, then Edmonton would be done, sure NASL could take over the team like in Atlanta, but I imagine that would not last for more than a year or two.

19. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Compliments by a NYCFC supporter.

brentgoulet repped this.
  20. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #95 Prosoccercdn, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Problem is FCE doesn't do any major marketing or much real marketing at all. They need to hire a professional marketing company and solid ticket reps and then we could truly see if Edmonton is viable long term.

They saw progressive increases in attendance the last 3 years (aprox 1500 to 2400 to 3300) but need to really increase & improve their marketing to continue to build attendance upward but the Fath's don't seem willing to do that.

The Irish Rover and brentgoulet repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Very doubtful.

As brentgoulet pointed out, the next home game is at another stadium with a 7.5 k capacity (why are they doing that?). But if they can get to a 7.5-8k average, at Hofstra anyway, they'd be on the way to showing that they can still be(come) relevant

22. shermanator

shermanator New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be fair, attendance in all Edmonton sports are down significantly right now. Attendance for the Rush is down 16% from last year (where they only lost 2 of 18 games). Attendance for the Oil Kings was down 11% from 2012-13 to 2013-14. Attendance for the Eskimos is down 20% from a decade ago, although it did go up in 2014 from 2013.

It's just a market that, I think, is a two sports town. And despite fans of one of those sports (Oilers) being incredibly jaded Edmontonians continue to throw their money at the product because, hockey.

That being said, corporate support appears to be way up, which is good news as it should mitigate losses. And all things considered, even with this decrease they are back at 2013 attendance levels not 2012 levels.

bullsear and brentgoulet repped this.
  23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    #98 brentgoulet, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    No idea, but IMHO I guess 1) target a different crowd or 2) Ottawa is a hard sell or 3) maybe the lacrosse team needs Hofstra that day

24. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It must be number 3. For any team in any sport opening day is one of the biggest numbers, no way you follow a sellout of 12K by taking the next game to a smaller venue, Hofstra was probably not available. If they wanted to reach out to people on BK they could have waited a bit and ride out the momentum from opening day.

25. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was discussed before and it was because of scheduling conflict... Regardless I think it will be a great event and well attended. There is easy access to Coney Island and honestly I think will be a great follow-up to the home opener last week. It could be a great chance for folks who are interested in the Cosmos but haven't made the trip out to Hofstra to see the Cosmos in action.

If they sell out the 7,500 as a follow-up to last weekend then I don't think you'll see a break in momentum. In all likelihood the optics of the Cosmos at Coney Island would easily make for a net-positive.

brentgoulet and irish56 repped this.