PBP: 2015 MLS Playoffs - Conference Semifinal Leg 2 [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Macsen, Nov 2, 2015.

1. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    does this A team apply even to Jurgen's team selections? ;)

2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Notice.......stupid coach.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  3. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Atiba Hutchinson showed once again that he is the most over looked, great player in Concacaf. Completely bossed the game.

Suyuntuy and Zoidberg repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I finally returned to this thread because a Ohio State had the first scoring opportunity and eventually got on the score board first with a touchdown.

Oveki8 repped this.
  5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I love you JK. Just great.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    What a novel concept!

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oh, you lowly Revs ...

2035 ... :rolleyes:

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we could hear the clip, to know if this was all in joking or if it was totally serious. Because man is it telling if it is serious. It's not funny if he was trying to be funny, but it's hilarious if he was being serious.

Len, TheLostUniversity and Zoidberg repped this.
  9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Better than nothing. Although, 20 years from now may mean that Gillette may need to be replaced with the way stadiums "go out of style"/lack money making amenities as the owners say.

TheLostUniversity and Zoidberg repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    But they just had that big dig that added more suites behind one end zone.:rolleyes:

Gamecock14 repped this.
  11. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like Miami creating private seats with televisions for fantasy or the Cabana w/ pool in Jacksonville.

The Dome in St Louis is 20 years old and is considered so outdated, that the team is going to move. They put money for a renovation 5 years ago.

I hate stadiums and teams that use public money. Even my own teams.

Ismitje and Zoidberg repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I hate the gutless politicians and usually the local sports media who play along.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  13. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 Years...The New 60-90 Days!.....;)

Ismitje and Geneva repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its extremely unfortunate that you see college football (or maybe football in general) as a threat to soccer, to the point you needed to post this. Its pretty clear from the success of the NBA, NHL, MLB, NASCAR, college basketball, golf, tennis, etc. there's plenty of room for multiple sports in this country.

But then given your long...distaste...every time the topic of college football comes up in this thread I'm not surprised.

PTFC in KCMO and Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I guess we are "enemies of soccer". I am already called an "enemy of the fire" by banned member iron.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Baklava and bourbon, mother********ers. See you on Tuesday.

Zoidberg and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I specifically refer to college football, not the NFL, and am happy to explain why. I'll leave out my general criticisms of it because they're not relevant here.

Two facts:
    1. MLS has found that the best time to play its games is on Saturday evenings, and thus presumably wants to play as many of its games then as possible.
    2. MLS' two big English-language TV partners have college football on during Saturdays in the fall, making them unavailable to MLS during the "business end" of the season. This results in MLS' Decision Day and playoff games having to compete against the ratings behemoth that is the NFL.

No other sport does this. The NFL, the most popular TV sport in the country, doesn't play on Saturdays. NBA/NHL/MLB play on Saturdays but that's only a fraction of their games. College basketball mostly plays during the soccer off-season, and the big tournament games are on a network MLS isn't on. NASCAR (and IndyCar/F1) have most of their races on Sundays.

I agree there is plenty of room for lots of sports in the American landscape, but one singularly competes in the same space that MLS would love to be.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1919 The Devil's Architect, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
    Maybe you should just shut your goddamned mouth about college football, MS29.

We're all sick to death of your shit and you could take it somewhere else where people care, like the breakroom at the DMV.

BalanceUT, JasonMa and DynamoEAR repped this.
  20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the real enemy was Title IX.

21. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These things exist in the world?

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you asked so nicely, I shall refrain from posting to BigSoccer by voice message.

23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    My car wouldn't start tonight at the grocery store. A guy walking to his truck offered to give me a boost. He owned an auto body shop here in town. I was on my way in no time. Nice people make your day. BTW I hate Chevrolet and will only buy a Honda or Toyota in the future.

GHjelm repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure both ESPN and FOX have heavy coverage of college basketball conference tournaments, not to mention the NIT. Yes the NCAA's are on CBS but the two weeks before the tournament as the MLS season gets started has a lot of overlap.

sitruc repped this.
  25. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I have thought for a few years now that MLS's television revenue jump may not take place from within, but from the outside in the form of overseas broadcast rights. I think that MLS offers a unique opportunity to cash in on the summer lull in Europe when the club seasons are in their offseason.

A soccer crazy continent with fewer options and an appetite for the game ..... sounds like a big area for growth.

The US market will be the bread and butter of any broadcast right. Most of the leagues efforts should be put into expanding the ratings here. But they would be failing in their duties if they didn't try to make an impact in Europe in particular, and the rest of the world in general.

BalanceUT repped this.