PBP: 2015 MLS Playoffs - Conference Semifinal Leg 1 [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Macsen, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post that should be required reading. The point about getting paid is huge and was recently called out as reason many foreign players are attracted to MLS

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's only if the winner is at home they do it on the field. They went indoors last year when the Giants won in Kansas City.

MasterShake29 repped this.
  3. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dammit, man. It was a joke, since Bonilla is still on the Mets payroll.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it was a joke. But you still shouldn't feel sorry for him.

It would be hilarious if they did win some time in the next 20 years, and shipped Bobby Bo a ring.

BalanceUT repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    don't forget the joke that is La Liga. Real and Barca are funded by the the Bank of Spain essentially. They have their own TV deals not a league wide TV deals. Every year at least one La Liga club files for bankruptcy. Portsmouth was bad but that was a case of a club overspending to buy players like Leeds and the EPL is nowhere near as bad as Serie A or La Liga.

JasonMa, KCbus and BalanceUT repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly I hope the Rapids got their extra $.04 worth from whomever they paid it to.

JasonMa, SixKick and RapidStorm repped this.
  7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Didn't MLS adopt this last year? Hate hate hate it. Should be the captain, at least for soccer.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anything happen soccer-wise this weekend? I've been a bit busy freaking out over baseball.

Totoro and sitruc repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Daniel from Montréal repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No... Only reason they have to watch horrible soccer is because NYCFC put a bad team on the field. There are a bunch of other teams in the league with the same salary cap New York City has, and they put out a quality product.

BalanceUT, edwardgr and RapidStorm repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah they are an expansion team ffs!! They should have bought better DP and built the squad better.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I'm not even necessarily saying it's their fault.

There were a bunch of people in the media predicting the NYCFC would win the East because they wanted the big story of the New York City team being a huge story for MLS right out of the gate. But it was straight up insanity. People forget how difficult it is to be an expansion team in this league.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Obviously if not for the Mets, NYCFC would have a stadium under construction right now.:rolleyes:

******** the Mets!

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that's true. That would mean my Mets have actually done something right lately.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I knew there was something I like about you!!

16. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't be so hard on NYCFC,after all, it's teams like NYCFC who will eventually force MLS to raise the salary cap level and add more free agency.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How, by being a national embarrassment? They should consider themselves lucky to have a franchise despite zero stadium plan and starting their franchise on a lie, and shut the hell up.

18. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not a NYCFC fan, but come on, you didn't see this coming?
    The newer teams won't care a thing about the leagues past troubles. They're gonna want to win, and win now. Some will want to win at any cost.
    With the current roster, the next guy probably doesn't last the whole season.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I saw it coming. I don't know how Don Garber didn't, maybe he did and figured $100 million was enough to look the other way.

Hopefully that $100 million doesn't buy them a real voice at the board of governors.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I never said abandon the salary cap entirely. I am saying that the current cap is a way for the non-spending teams to keep a lid on the quality of their spending opposition. So essentially you end up with the teams that are doing the heavy investing being kept down by the teams that are sucking off that investment without actually investing. People can call that parity. But what it amounts to is freeloading.

If the league would add salary cap dollars for teams willing to do the heavy spending, it would presumably encourage player investment. And it would presumably force discount teams to keep up and actually make the sorts of investments that the leagues needs to improve its position, particularly with regard to TV.

Instead, what you have now is, sure you can go out and sign high-profile players, but it's going to be a major hit against the cap. All so that teams that aren't doing it and aren't taking that risk can still compete with you on the field.

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Except it's not. Every team has the same rules. The high-spenders just often prioritized stars and offense over making a cohesive team, and suffered for it.

Stop making excuses for teams overspending to cover for their incompetence in roster building.

KCbus, JasonMa and BalanceUT repped this.
  22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ghost can you give an example of your theory work in any sport?

RapidStorm and BalanceUT repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it the weekend yet?

24. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    We're big Jack London fans. The song comes directly from "To Build a Fire."

25. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    Isn't this already happening? Teams that perform at or near the top of the various competitions, earn allocation money, and spend it to improve their rosters? Aren't LA and Seattle kinda built on allocation money right now? Sure, both have money to send on top DP's, but it's that tier of player just underneath DP that is critical to success- and both those teams (add others I may be missing-NYRB?) have the Alonso's and Juninho's along side those DP's because of allocation money they've earned.

BTW, I nominate NYFC to blow by Toronto's "years in MLS w/o playoffs" record.