Pre-match: 2015 Matchday 23: Borussia Dortmund vs. Schalke 04 2/28/15

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by P to the Wee, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Zarastro

Zarastro Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am very delighted about today's victory. We needed those 3 points if we wanted to have any chance of achieving a top 6 finish. That being said we are still closer to the relegation zone than to the CL spots so we should not get ahead of ourselves. Qualifying for the EL will be difficult enough and only possible if we continue to collect victories consistently, anything more would require some epic screw-ups from the top teams which we reastically cannot expect.

Wellenreuther had a few great saves but he looked very nervous (understandable given his age and atmosphere) and commited several mistakes which luckily for him resulted in one goal. He was arguably the best of Schalke's players, but like the rest of his team he was overall sub-par at best. No need to bash Weidenfeller here.

cortisoljunkie repped this.
  2. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wat!? He stood on his head over the first 70 minutes, and was the only reason it wasn't 3-0 after the first half. He stopped two 1on1 chances from Auba and Reus, and made some very good decisions on a few aggresive plays on the ball (against Kagawa and Reus).

If Roman played like that, we would all be celebrating his brilliance.

Dhajj and Vlad S. repped this.
  3. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who was the MoM? Reus, Gundogan or Miki? (didn't think I'd ever put Miki and MoM in the same sentence. It sounds like Kagawa was a superb no. 10 but Auba and co. couldn't convert anything.

I saw the highlights of Miki's goal and he was crying for sure. Maybe he'll get some confidence back after this. I'd like to see us rely on goal scorers other than Auba and Reus.

4. dodolefou

dodolefou Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    There is no MOTM.
    Everyone played their role very good. Had ONE of the players make the wrong mistake at the wrong time and if Schalka had scored one goal, the game would be totally different.
    The whole team played so good, and it's better than when one of the player is above anyone else.

SO HAPPY

bumbleBeeVB repped this.
  5. bumbleBeeVB

bumbleBeeVB Member+

Aug 6, 2014
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, there was no weak link today, everyone played well. In fact, whoscored gave schmelzer the highest rating... i know im shocked too. Even kirch played well at rb, even pulled off a cheeky little nutmeg.

6. BVB1989

BVB1989 Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Bled, Slovenia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Great game! We can still dream of reaching the 4th spot :)

7. Gundogan92

Gundogan92 Member+

Apr 13, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    According to Whoscored, Schmelzer was MOTM with the rating 9.0 :D

8. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think everyone played well but if I had to pick then Reus, Gundo, Kagawa and Hummels. Kagawa should have walked away with at least a hat trick of assists.

9. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Anyone know what happened to footyfan? Good poster but have not seen him in a while.

10. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    He retired from here a while ago.

11. DortmundXXX

DortmundXXX Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Do you know why?

12. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^ Some aggresive New posters ran him out of town

Dhajj repped this.
  13. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Holy f*ck pissed me off, whenever a play was going down on the left side (which was a lot due to Gundogan, Hummels and Reus drifting left), Schmelzer would ask for the ball and do one of two things:
    1. Turn and pass back to the CBs.
    2. Blast a cross to no where, I noticed about at least 5-6 crosses, of them one or two reached the 2 m vicinity of a teammate.

Did decently defensively though, I only watched the second half, don't know what he did in the first, Kirch impressed me more because he actually attempted dribbling, sideway passes (rather than back passes) and half decent crosses.

14. Jurgen Harbour Master

Dec 4, 2014
    Australia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Schmelzer was pretty solid in D. Going forward he looked good too but his crossing was poor. Kirch was very good imo. He got a lot of the ball and did well generally, he certainly didn't try too much fancy shit and was solid.

Hard to rate Hummels and Subotic as Schalke seriously din't threaten very much at all. But Hummels looked measured on the ball - as always - and looked good going forward. Subo was fine.

The MF was very good. Maybe Sahin was the weakest player for us on the day. BUt, he was still pretty solid I think.
    Miki and Reus were fantastic, they combined extremely well. I enjoyed watching Miki and Reus swapping positions and playing their combos around Kagawa. Shinji was quite good too, I Was surprised he was subbed out. The team were obviously really, really pumped for the game (in particular Schmelzer!).

So KG has not played a minute in our last four victories correct?

And what a time for Mkhitaryan to score and get an assist! He had a couple of nice passes. He played as though Klopp told him to just keep it simple. Really pleased for him.

In the eyes of many fans he has probably atoned for his shitty season with that one "Derby Held" performance. Well done. If he played like that consistently.......

bvbSlash repped this.
  15. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Come on this is not a ballpark or sandbox. His own vanity drove him away. Couldn't handle the fact that his hegemony was no longer valid here.

Now SirMan, he was collectively and actively driven away :D

16. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    oh

so is wasn't just some bad dream then

:cry:

Your whole team played fantastic, but I think it looked all the better by the fact that most of our players were utter shite. Some good discussion on the Bayern forum about where Schalke is going at the moment, like many of them I can't understand why Meyer doesn't get a run, and why the f*ck Boateng is even in the squad let alone the starting 11, the point of this ultra-defensive line-up when in the past month it has continually failed (Frankfurt, Bremen, RM, now at Dortmund) and is frankly boring as bat shit. Wellenreuther did a decent job but his lack of experience showed so much, credit to Uchi and Benni for giving it a go. But our midfield may as well have been a few traffic cones thrown on the ground. Just an aweful game. If you'll excuse me I need to go chug a bunch of ssri's before this melancholy drives me up and over a tall structure.

It's still good to see Dortmund back in business. I mentioned before that if you are going to make the CL spots, you need 3 teams to fall of the pace, and it seems like Schalke and Augsburg are two of them.

Dresden must be shitting themselves

augiechen7, chewz and Liquid1010 repped this.
  17. Jurgen Harbour Master

Dec 4, 2014
    Australia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    KPB isn't a bad player, he started off well enough but has struggled under RDM. Quite frankly, with all the injuries and strange acquisitions, Keller did a better job.

Wellenreuther and Hoeger I think were S04's best players on the pitch.

18. RomárioBVB

RomárioBVB Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Outstanding performance, the best of the season to date from the team. Every player did a great job and didn't put a foot wrong, it was clear that the derby occasion fired everyone up so much and it's great to see that we are still capable of pulling out such a dominant, classy display like that in such a big game. We've given ourselves some real hope of entering the top 4/6 argument again with not only this win but our form in the past few weeks and with our rivals starting to tumble, sustained consistency in results could be our key to clawing our way back up there. It seemed impossible only a month ago but hope has been restored once again. Just need to keep our heads on our shoulders and work hard for the rest of the season, sky is the limit now.

Man of the match? I wouldn't know where to begin to enter that discussion! Everyone was great. Aubameyang scored again, as did Reus, Mkhitaryan finally ended his drought thankfully (his tears brought tears to my eyes too :), probably his biggest goal for BVB and a massive confidence booster hopefully), Kagawa-Nuri-Ilkay ran the show in midfield, everyone in defense was solid and assured, it's hard to pick out one standout individual after a performance like that. It was just a great team show from every single player. I'll give it to Kuba though just because all 3 goals came after he got subbed onto the pitch, that'll be the easy way out of choosing someone here. :D :p

Heard there's a new TV show taking scene in Dortmund and it's called Aubatman and Reubin!

[​IMG]

augiechen7, Zarastro, Dhajj and 4 others repped this.
  19. JCrook

JCrook Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    When that Auba goal went in....=====>~~~it was one of those feelings of relief and celebration. The GolTv folks were saying, and I was thinking, that S04 were going to get a cheapie. It would have been so typical of the season before this string of wins. Then Auba slid it by Wellenreuther, up in the air goes about a thousand beers, out comes the Batman & Robin outfits, nerves go away, my beer suddenly tasted better

20. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's be honest.

This game should've been 20-0..

Also I do think you have a chance at CL spot. This is something the players will be fighting for.

Dave46 repped this.
  21. DortmundXXX

DortmundXXX Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Auba's finishing has been significantly improved since last season.

bumbleBeeVB repped this.