2015 Gold Cup (R)

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Sebsasour, Aug 11, 2014.

1. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    The US has a good team, as per usual. But people really bought too much into that couple of friendlies.

Has anyone been paying attention to GER's and NED's performance post-WC? Nothing to write home about, really. There's a reason for Hiddink leaving the team. The Germans even drew vs. Australia and barely beat Georgia. It was not the same as beating the teams seen in the WC.

Anyway, not saying the USA has a weak team or anything like that. It's just that a motivated Honduras giving them a run for their money is not really that surprising.

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Pinto + Honduras = match made in heaven as of right now

3. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    He is doing pretty decently up until now, though I honestly think the whole thing has been a bit overblown. Of course the perception of Pinto is different after the World Cup, but right now, Honduras is being Honduras. Always have been a tough nut to crack for everyone in CONCACAF.

If Pinto manages to take that to the true world stage and having Honduras actually achieve something in the WC, then he's done it. That should be the true aim. That's a long way from now, of course. Just stating my opinion.

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Honduras is being Honduras?? That's a very vague description of our current form. Honduras is playing very organized and disciplined team ball. A game like last night is something i haven't seen from Honduras in a long time where there was actual build up and synchronized movements defensively and offensively. Plus tactically we're looking a ton more flexible than under both Rueda y Suarez. He's doing a good job considering Medford made this same team look laughworthy.

5. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Yesterday I saw a team that reminded me a lot of Rueda's, actually. Under Rueda your primary concern was good defending, but the team was able to turn it on and steam roll opposition. And still, just like that Rueda team, you were capable of two awful defensive mistakes that threw out a pretty good overall game.

I really think that if Pinto had came in from a regular WC and had done the exact same job as he's done now, not much would have been taken out of it. Again, this is not me saying he has not done a great job, cause he has. I'm saying that this is what I usually expect from Honduras, a top CONCACAF side. You guys are not yet anything above other good Honduran teams, but that may change soon, who knows...

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  6. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Let's go Ticos!!!

We have not looked too solid with 4 in the back. Attack pretty well, but concede too much. We did it pretty well in the first half vs. Mexico, but then ruined that in the first minutes of the second half.

Then again, our latest rivals were Colombia, Spain and Mexico. Maybe it's not a bad way to play vs. Jamaica.

7. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    David Ramírez, 22 yo Saprissa player. Looking good. Definitely earning the starting spot for La Sele. Short striker, but has a great all-around game. One to watch here.

8. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Awful mistake by Díaz. That's what I meant with not solid in the back.

Pretty good game before this. Well, uphill battle it is. Let's take this one back.

9. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    1-1, by my most disliked CR player! Miller in a pretty good set piece by la Sele. Momentum's on our side.

Let's GO!!!

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Finally showing some excitement.

11. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Said and done: David Ramirez. That's my guy. 2-1.

12. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
  13. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Well, two sucky defensive mistakes cost us another win yet again. I said it before, we are too error prone with a back 4. If Wanchope feels he must stick with it, then at least bring in Umaña and Calvo for Miller and Díaz...

14. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    You are right that there are some differences but I never said it was a complete overlap; I said it was an analogy. The French constitution provides that, in general, French laws and regulations (France's civil code, penal code, administrative law, social laws, tax laws, etc.) apply to French overseas departments the same as in mainland France, so they are much more akin to regular US states than to autonomous regions. They also send representatives to the French Parliament - both the French National Assembly and the French Senate - and vote in the European elections. They use the Euro as currency. Their inhabitants are full citizens of France and of the European Union with no restrictions whatsoever. However there are indeed some differences: they are considered to be part of the European Union but are not in the Schengen Area, so trade union rules apply as in any other part of the EU, but people still need to show passports if they fly from one of the overseas departments to other parts of Europe. Also, they are authorized to pass local laws to regulate local matters. These local laws however cannot address maters of defense, international relations, trade and currency, and judicial and administrative law.

All of the above considered, they are much closer - again, as an analogy but not as complete overlap - to Hawaii than to Guam, in terms of status. I said they are analogous to Hawaii as they are akin to an overseas French state like Hawaii is an overseas US state, not that they are equal to Hawaii. We shouldn't expect complete equivalence anyway since France has a very different administrative and legal structure than the United States and practices a tradition of laws that are based on a different system. French law is based on the Napoleonic code and on the Civil Law tradition, aligned with the Benelux countries, Italy, Romania, and Spain. The United States practices law based on the English Common Law.

But see, even here in the United States, not all states are equal. Lousiana for example is very distinct, and practices law based on the French and Spanish Civil Law.

So, the fact that Martinique, Guadeloupe, and French Guiana have some local autonomy for their laws is not that different from our state laws, particularly considering that one of our states adopts a rather distinct code.

15. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Well, now that Costa Rica tied with Jamaica, and Panama tied with Haiti, I'm valuing more the fact that the United States dodged a bullet and got to muster a scrappy victory against Honduras even though we played poorly. I was worried and concerned about the weak and unconvincing showing, but I'm now understanding better that a win is a win, since two other strong teams couldn't get the W in their openers.

Very entertaining CR-Jamaica game. I thought Jamaica was surprising and if they had better finishing they would have won the game.

16. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Sorry, I have no animosity against CR, but I must say that it wasn't just a couple of defensive mistakes. Jamaica actually threatened your hardware several times and generally played at least as well as Costa Rica. If they had a bit better finishing and better execution on offense, they might have won the game. Also, their second goal was more due to talent than a defensive mistake since their player did dribble beautifully before he scored, so there was merit in their goal, not just a random and unfortunate defensive mistake like your post seems to imply.

17. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I'd actually say his goal was more due to Miller's ridiculous marking. Didn't even try.
    And many of those threats were finished by offside calls, btw, and that is not just an offensive mistake, it is a defensive success. That at least has not been completely lost in our defensive game.

Also, never did I say that Jamaica didn't play well. They absolutely did. I just said that those two specific mistakes cost us the win, and they actually did, since they impacted the score directly.

Brasitusa repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Costa Rica is already missing Pinto.
    I think they will have a tough time qualifying now essentially being the road team in the next two games.

This Group is going to come down to the last match day.

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jamaica!

Big up!

one love!

zeen..............

Okay, now carry on y'all!

ltrebor and Catracho_Azul repped this.
  20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Pelepapa mad yet? :D

J'can repped this.
  21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm just glad we are competitive on the big stage. Lots of respect for the ticos and what they have acheived over the year but i am happy the yardies were able to put in a decent showing :)

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I'm happy that the ites showed up too. Still early in the tourney and summa dem affi long weh fi go, especially the goalie, but so far so gud.

ltrebor and J'can repped this.
  23. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Larin with a huge miss in the first half. Does everything right just to rocket it over in the end...

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica are such a strange team... there never seems to be much correlation between the side that wows us in world cups and qualifiers and the team that shows up for the Gold Cup.

J'can and slaminsams repped this.
  25. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Cuban has already defected. I was not planning on going to Solider Field tonight but maybe I should drive over there and have my car waiting in case any others bolt for it.

edcalvi repped this.