2015 Gold Cup: How is the roster shaping up?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't see why that's an either/or. You can change six.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lost track of who posted it

The 12 players not selected on that roster are as follows:

GK = 1. Bill Hamid (DC United)

D = 5. Matt Besler (Sporting KC), Brek Shea (Orlando City), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Greg Garza (Tijuana), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston).

M = 3. Lee Nguyen (New England), Joe Corona (Tijuana), Perry Kitchen (DC United)

F = 3. Jordan Morris (Stanford), Juan Agudelo (New England), Alan Gordon (Los Angeles
    ).

Can't see any of them getting called based on Klinsi's history with exception of Gordon in case Jozy just isnt getting fit. Garza already got called of course. I don't think Klinsi is a fan of introducing new players mid - tournament.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Klinsmann made four changes after the group stage in 2013.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is slim pickings...
    I see Besler for Ream, Beasley for Garza, Kitchen for Morales, unless Morales plays lights out in the last game. Morris was the only that I thought had a chance but after his injury looks like MAYBE Agudelo but for whom?

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 was the max allowed that year too. I think he's a huge fan of it given the fact that mls runs right through the gold cup.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    CB hasn't been terrible. Brooks has been ok, Gonzo too, Alvarado had a couple of hiccups but nothing terrible. The sides need help. Shea, Beasley, Corona, maybe even Agudelo to be played on the wing. Besler may come back, for Ream, but I doubt it.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. Stoke hasn't been great for Cameron the international player, so I doubt that risk is that scary to JK (of course he left Danny Williams off for some reason).

BTW, with the coming of Glen Johnson, at one time, a truly excellent player and an actual right back, Cameron may lose his place anyway.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet we see Bedoya go home. He's not fit, and he's taking up a spot on the bench that we could use for some real depth. I could also see Morales going back to preseason as well.

I bet he brings in Beasley, Besler, and Gordon. Garza's been shiite, our center backs has far from impressed, and Jozy is either hurt or turrible, and in either case we need a target forward.

Outside of that, our 35 man roster is pretty slim from injuries to Shea, Morris and Davis. I can't see him bringing in Nguyen, Corona or Kitchen, as none of them are truly game changers at this point as they would have zero chemistry with the team, and a central midfield role requires a team understanding. That's not something you can introduce in the middle of a tourney.

9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny had fitness issues all season, and needed a break. He has some wear and tear issues with his knee. He and JK must've agreed that time off was best for his future. Otherwise he would be with the team for sure.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Agudelo, Gordon, Kitchen, and Beasley in.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right, for him not to get final sub minutes when we are holding on a slim lead tells me the same.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Geoff Cameron, jack of all trades, master or none.

I remember at least a couple of times he playing CB and sort of sucking for us.

As a CM, I'm not convinced by the Belgium game. He was ok at best, but didn't help to create anything. Empire of Soccer rated him as one of our worst players that day, and commented "he was OK defensively, but for a man who’s[sic] passing was supposed to be a strength, he was way off." Which is more or less how I remember him.

As a RB, he was comparable to Evans. Maybe a bit better defensively. I wouldn't mind having him there for the NT.

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense. I wonder why he was on the first 23 though and not a potential replacement (if he ends up getting healthy in time... although we're kinda running out of time)? Poor medical staff? Or Jurgen's mistake? Or just bad luck.

14. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber may be second behind Landon in the "players that Klinsmann doesn't rate" category.

seeds and Marko72 repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like another LD excuse.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't he just say what we all know he's thinking: "He's too old and I don't really rate him."

seeds repped this.
  17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber is better than Mix, take him over Zusi too.

18. NCFan

NCFan Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #1468 NCFan, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    I think you might be right. Who do you send home then? Anyone who is injured, I assume. Sounds like maybe bedoya and zusi. I think you have to at least consider sending Jozy home but I doubt Klinsmann will even though Jozy sounds like he would be OK with that.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Jozy is going to be crucial for the last two games. He seems to be saving energy just for that.

20. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main change I would make is replacing Garza. He had a nice ball to Zardes that led to the goal, but other than that I thought he was very shaky. His poor pace and questionable decision making makes me nervous. Hopefully Beasley or Shea is brought in.

I also wouldn't mind Kitchen brought in for Morales. Klinsmann said Morales and Bedoya were making progress and might play against Panama, but I'd prefer to have healthy guys. Bedoya I get keeping around because he is a lock starter when healthy. Morales...not so much. I haven't been much impressed with him. I don't mind him getting more looks (he's only 25 after all) but the knockout stages is crunch time, and I think we could use a true 6 to backup Beckerman.

It would be nice to bring in some attacking wide play (given that Zusi looks mediocre and took a knock, and Bedoya still isn't totally fit) but the options to bring in from the 35 man roster are thin. Davis already withdrew (not that I'd want him), Corona is out of season (not that I'd want him), Nguyen and Agudelo haven't been in the best form and are more ideal at CAM and striker than out wide anyway. So once again, Shea and Beasley look like decent options to bring in, since they can slot in at LB or LM.

And while I like Ream just fine, I would not mind at all if Besler replaced him.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like another excuse for his current play.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The actual excuse is that he's not fit from the hamstring injury.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Other than that Ms. Lincoln, how was the play?

Is Morales carrying a knock or healthy and DNP JK's decision?

B.t.w., if Garza can't play , Ream is back up lb