2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, hardly really surprising that someone at the FA would come out with something so patronising!

The tweet has been removed now but the damage has been done. Plonkers!

3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a deliberately misleading headline. The Tweet never said they "can" go back to doing that, it said they will do. It was a commentary on how they'll go from stars back to everyday people now the tournament is over, not some sort of sexist jibe.

4. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Indeed. It's almost as if the media have been pushing the women's world cup with a feminist angle at the ready should anyone not be particularly interested in following what is a low standard of football.

I am a football fan, but that doesn't mean I have either the time nor the want to watch every second of football available to me.

I saw an article in the guardian suggesting that the winners of the women's world cup should be paid the same as the men. Astonishing.

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Agreed. I will cut the FA some slack on this one. It's an excerpt from an article about how they are now returning to their family and friends etc. They were ill-advised to tweet that one line though, because it was bound to be taken out of context by some, as indeed was the case.