2015 FIFA WOMEN'S WORLD CUP - GENERAL INFO

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MRAD12, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought I'd start a general thread for USWNT fans to share info about the Women's World Cup in Canada.
    So that we don't have to create a new thread for every comment, question or information we want to share.

2. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    You may want to have one thread for each group during group play, then separate threads for later rounds.
    If you put everything in 1, discussions will be buried.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is meant for USWNT fans specifically to share general questions, info.

For example, I am going to the Sweden vs. US game in Winnipeg on June 12 and am interested in who is going from here. I don't need a separate thread for that.

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    FWLIW, we will not be there.

My MS diagnosis and the subsequent brouhaha on treatment requirements has forced us to cancel and watch it on Tivo, etc... I basically couldn't see for most of March, and couldn't hear without maddening distortion most of February; and it just didn't seem worth it to go thousands of miles not knowing if a relapse would cause more of the same, away from my support system.

In addition we were going to have to come back to the states in the middle for a dose of the medication-- has to happen every 28 days.

So, since the tickets aren't cancellable or transferable, there will be two empty seats...

5. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    TJ, so sorry, was not aware... hang tough and hope you can still enjoy a lot of the cup.

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Oh I will, I will. Probably would have been fine if we'd gone-- but there's no guarantee, and the price for losing the bet-- awkwardness and difficulty for both of us-- was not worth the reward of winning.

So it goes-- but I do hope some enterprising couple sneaks in to use the seats...

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be at the two group games in Winnipeg. Long drive but a two day drive is much cheaper than flying.

lunatica and EbaJones repped this.
  8. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  9. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes to you taos.

10. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I will be at the Montreal QF and SF.

lunatica repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear that! I also hope that you still get to fully enjoy the WWC, albeit from in front of a television...like many of the rest of us. :)

12. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, wishing you the best, TaosJohn. I've become less gung-ho about attending with each friendly I've watched.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think that's a little overly pessimistic; I don't think anyone else has played well/tipped their hand going in either; and I think Ellis' substitution patterns will be very different in the actual Cup.

But it was supposed to be a retirement reward, and she hasn't actually retired as it developed; just took a lower paying job closer to home.

Maybe we'll make the Algarve instead some year or something, but I doubt there'll ever be a WC within reach again...

goaleemama repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think other groups-related discussion and discussion about non-US games goes best in the WWC forum in Women's International and not the US WNT forum. However, I wouldn't be opposed to one (or two) thread to discuss all the WWC matches with fellow US WNT fans, like they do in the MNT forum during WC time.

In the spirit of this thread, I just learned that all the matches will not be televised here (India; but I'm still hopeful that later-round matches may be televised). I'm kind of depressed about it, so although most of you I'm sure will be watching the games on television (in prime time, no less), I'd appreciate links to online streams that you might find. Thanks!

Dom. FC repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am going to the one in Winnipeg next Friday. I plan on driving from Chicago leaving late Wednesday night or at break of dawn Thursday morning till I get to Pembina, ND, spend the night there then proceed across the border to Winnipeg Friday morning 12th, which I understand is only another 1 and a half hour drive.

And... the Championship game in Vancouver on July 5th
    After I see a Thorns game in Portland on July 3rd. :D

EbaJones repped this.
  16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Let me know when you are coming. We'll meet up.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Absolutely. I'll PM both you and cpthomas.

cpthomas repped this.
  18. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Ahhh, you guys are making me so jelly! I wanna go too!

19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be at the 2 Winnipeg games for starters.

20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany is going to score 30 on Thailand.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Can anyone tell me if you can use American currency in Winnipeg? For instance, can you pay for stadium parking in American dollars?
    Will I have to exchange American dollars for Canadian dollars if I want to purchase or pay for anything?

Thanks.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the specific answers, but the recommendation is to use Canadian dollars. The best recommendation is to go to an ATM and withdraw some Canadian dollars, if you have an account you can withdraw from. Or, pay with a credit card if you can. Paying with US dollars is a pain for the Canadians, and each recipient of US dollars sets his/her own exchange rate.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When I lived in Seattle, I went to the CONCACAF qualifying the women had a few years ago in Vancouver and I was able to pay for parking at the stadium with US dollars.

Just getting prepared so I know what to expect. So I don't get to the stadium in Winnipeg and can't park because I only have American dollars.

24. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    While the title of this article is very misleading, it's an interesting read into Jill's personality. A seemingly stark difference to that of Pia. (see NYT article on Sundhage)

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...llis-became-highest-profile-women-coach-world

"For me, meaning you connect doesn't mean you're a pushover," Ellis said. "To me, it's about understanding what will get the best out of Sydney Leroux. And to do that, and to know that, you kind of have to know a little bit about the fabric of a person."

"I've never been a CEO, but I don't care if you're an English professor teaching a class or you're a coach, you've got to connect with people," Ellis said. "Even in this [national team] environment, whether it's having individual meetings, whether it's asking about a player, whether it's trying to have a consciousness and understanding of what they're dealing with, I think that's important because, sure, they're phenomenal athletes, but they're people. That's always been something that is a part of who I am."

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #25 MRAD12, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    I got back last night to Chicago from the US vs. Sweden game in Winnipeg.
    I would like to share my experience with you guys. I won't talk about the game because it seems you guys have already dissected that enough.

I left Chicago at around 9:30 a.m Thursday morning 6/11.
    Arrive at Pembina, ND at 11:30 pm a few miles from the border.
    I checked into a quaint little family owned hotel to get some sleep before crossing the border in the morning.
    After getting a good night sleep and a gas station pizza washed down with Mountain Dew for breakfast, I headed for Canada.
    No problem getting across. The usual questions of where are you going, how long are you going to stay and such.

The way to the stadium from Emerson border crossing was simple. You keep driving straight until you get to Winnipeg and The University of Manitoba and turn left to the stadium. You can see it from the road.

Nice people
    The people of Winnipeg were very welcoming and very nice. Eager to help and answer questions.

Americans all over
    As you got close to the stadium you could see Americans all over. Americans in all their flag outfits. American flag socks, American flag pants, painted hair, flag shorts, too-toos, red white and blue everywhere. Painted faces. Americans running across streets between traffic. You get the picture.
    People drove or flew from all over the US to get there. I saw people who had driven from as far as Alabama. I met a group of young girls who had driven from Woodstock, NY. Yes, the famous Woodstock. I went across the stadium to a Five Guys restaurant and it was packed with Americans.
    I saw no problems from our fans, just enthusiasm and fun.

The Pleasant surprises
    Inside the stadium you were allowed to use American dollars to buy merchandise and food if you didn't have Canadian dollars. I also paid parking with American dollars, $20. I got there about 3 hours before the first game, parked very close to the stadium and hung out talking to people coming in.

Winnipeg's stadium has the best sound system I've ever heard in a sports event. Nice and loud, no distortion. Except for live concert, AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" never sounded so good.
    As I settled in my seat in section 201 for the second game, which was still had the full sun blasting in your face, both the US and Sweden were already warming up. All of a sudden Bob Marley's "Could You be Loved" came over the stadium speakers and man did it sound good! I just laid back, watched the warm-ups and let the vibe go through me. I was at The World Cup and feeling good!

The Disappointments
    For those of you who were at the Winnipeg games you know what I'm going to say. The souvenir lines! It was awful! I got into the stadium at 2:45 pm and immediately got into the souvenir line that was already halve-way down the concourse. By the time I arrive at the souvenir stand, it was 5:15 pm and hardly anything left. Two and a half hours in line for a souvenir. I didn't see a minute of the Nigeria vs. Australia game except for what I could see from the line. I was very disappointed. I wanted something that said FIFA Canada 2015 or something like that. Nothing left but some kids stuff, Canada and US shirts and jersey's. I don't want that. I could buy a US jersey at Dick's Sporting Goods in Chicago. I wanted something FIFA. So the only thing left was a few hats. So I bought one. And not even the ones that had all the flags of participants on it. People were telling me that on Monday it was the same thing with souvenir lines and how they ran out of merchandise.

There were also no souvenir stands outside the stadium. I cannot believe that FIFA didn't plan for this.

Also, if it weren't for the Nigerian band outside the stadium, the atmosphere would be nil. Very little fan-fare surrounding the stadium.

Soccer Dad Gumball Rally
    I ran out of the stadium as soon as the whistle blew. Got to my car and left immediately. I drove out of town and headed to the border being careful about driving the speed limits. I had one more night in Pembina to sleep before heading home in the morning. About 50 or so minutes out, I look in my mirror and see a pack of headlights behind me and gaining. As they passed me bye it reminded me of the 1970's movie "The Gumball Rally" but instead of J. Pat O'Malley and Michael Sarrazin, it was a pack of soccer dads in their vans and SUV's heading for the border to beat the long lines that were sure to follow. It was funny.

The wait at the border was not long for me. About twenty minutes. A polite border guard asked me the normal questions, ran my passport and said "Welcome back". I thanked him and headed back to my hotel, looking in my rear view mirror I can see the long lines already forming at the border crossing. I did talk to some people on my way back home on Saturday that said they waited at the border for 2 hours.

US fans are the Best
    Of the 32,000 at the game, the US fans in my opinion were 90% of the crowd - at least! They were loud, supportive, but well behaved, in my opinion. I couldn't be more prouder of US fans at the game!
    As I was driving home, through ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin and then Illinois, there were many cars, vans, SUV's coming back from the game. I was still seeing vehicles in Wisconsin that had "GO USA" or "We want 3 points" painted in red, white and blue on the windshields. People came from all over the US to support this team. Have no doubt that when it comes to our women's team, the US fans are the best!

Although I didn't get everything I wanted, like a nice X-Large T-shirt that said FIFA US Women's World Cup Canada 2015 or something like that, I had a great time, I had gone to the World Cup, and was glad I went, even though most of it was spent in driving.

BTW, I never in my life saw so many dead bugs on my front bumper, windshield and grill as I did coming out of North Dakota.

Now I will lay back, put on some Bob Marley and reminisce about my fun trip. - "Could you be loved"