PBP: 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup: USA vs. Colombia, 6/10 3:30 AM EST

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Agoos'd

Agoos'd Red Card

Jun 10, 2015
    Our U-20 team struggles with bigger, physical, more athletic opponents. We saw it against Ukraine too.

This is especially a problem in the midfield where we lack a physical presence and an energetic force. We don't have anyone who will get stuck in, tackle, and shoulder players into the dirt...no true ball winner there to force the ball to the wings.

Up next...Serbia. A big, fast, athletic team who are excellent on set pieces.

Unless Tab comes up with a good solution to address our problem, this could be the end.

Also, the team needs to better learn how to fight with these guys. Rubin is the only player with bite out there...he's dogging these teams on every play, but he's the only guy like that.

2. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    #752 bigt8917, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    They were not bigger. It's funny because going into that game, nobody said they were bigger. Ukraine, that was a bigger team. Colombia didnt have any noticeable height advantage to speak of watching the game. They simply wanted the ball more, and bossed around the US players sans CCV and Miazga. Rubin also played with alot of heart, and never backed down. CCV isn't a very tall guy, but even against Ukraine you never saw him get tossed aside like a rag doll on loose balls, I wonder why that's the case with so many of our other players

3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Canouse was a beast and leader back there. He would have made this event different. You saw the difference with Moore out for Payne in the the Ukraine match vs the Colombia match. Imagine a dmid who could actually complete a pass to Hyndman and Zelalem.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't forget another guy who played some DM for us in qualifying: Fernando Arce Jr. I don't know if he's someone Tab seriously considered for the Finals roster, but he had more time at the position than any of the other potential stopgaps you named.

dwsmith1972 and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Agoos'd

Agoos'd Red Card

Jun 10, 2015
    Hyndman and Zelalem did their fair share of disappearing with or without a great #6 behind them.

Zelalem is still just a young guy and he shows it both physically and mentally. Nothing that we shouldn't expect, but he shows his youth. He was timid around those big Columbians when he should be squaring them up and running at them to twist them up in their own feet.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes. He's 17 ********ing years old.

Then again, it's Jurgen, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, I thought this was a good performance. Besides the penalty and the subsequent 2 minutes, Colombia never really threatened. I'm still not sure what Acosta was complaining about; that was a stonewall penalty and absolutely a card. Based on his reaction, he has a lot of maturing to do before he's going to be a serviceable professional.

8. Agoos'd

Agoos'd Red Card

Jun 10, 2015
    He looked like a boy among men. He contributed some, but disappeared for long stretches. He did actually give some defensive effort though, which is encouraging.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #759 butters59, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Tom Collingsworth, Gacm32 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  10. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably would've been great had the Colombians scheduled fight club tryouts a couple hours later.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking that too. These ratings seem rushed and not very thoughtful.

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Rubin strike, Steffen save, hold on, move on. We need to play a lot better.

13. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Canouse definitely would have been better than Delgado, but he would have been bossed by Ukraine and Colombia in physical battles also. And, like Delgado, he has limited range.

14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Zelalem didn't disappear at all imo. he was just bullied. Zelalem will never be a player that runs at defenders on a consistent basis. He will maintain possession and make the pass. That is his game.

I agree he was muscled off the ball too easily but hey, it's Colombia. I expect better from our midfield against Serbia.

ussoccer97531 and Gacm32 repped this.
  15. Agoos'd

Agoos'd Red Card

Jun 10, 2015
    My observations for what they are worth (not much!):

- Rubin is a figher. I enjoy watching him play...he's like a prize fighter out there setting up punches and waiting to deliver the knockout. One day I hope that we get to see him play with the US Men like he does with his peers...I'd buy a jersey with the number of a player like that. The poster Dave mentioned that he had more success when moved closer to the midfield...great observation Dave, and I agree with the point you made there. The U-20's need to make sure he is in the play.

- The US youths are a small team who struggle with powerful, athletic teams. First Ukraine, now Columbia. The game was difficult for us because we were physically dominated all over the place. We had trouble winning 50/50 and second balls. We were muscled out of spots. It doesn't help that the ref allowed Columbia to foul excessively over the whole game, even injuring players with reckless nonsense without whistles.

- The midfield can disappear. They have trouble gaining posession and then they have trouble keeping it. Unfamiliarity plays into that, but so does mentality...you have to be willing to fight for the ball with guys who can beat up on you. Right now neither Zelalem or Hyndman really will fight tooth and nail for the ball.

16. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I think you are wrong on this. Mass is mass and the Colombians are massy. They just were allowed to get away with abusing our midfielders.

17. Agoos'd

Agoos'd Red Card

Jun 10, 2015
    Fight club will be his career.

Once teams find out how to take you out of a game, you never see anything different until you figure out how to deal with it.

ussoccer97531 and Gacm32 repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Back in the miracle on ice days the average fan said " can you imagine if our pros played the Russians?" Followed by belly guffaws. When it finally happened, our NHL pros were creamed.

These fantasies are never what you think they are but they are easy.

19. Agoos'd

Agoos'd Red Card

Jun 10, 2015
    We have a small midfield. Arriola, Hyndman, Delgado, and Zelalem are all small. We looked like kids playing against our older brothers and their friends. They were beaten to headers and 50/50 balls over the course of the whole game. There were several stretches where they could not find the ball when our defenders won it, especially in the first half.

We don't necessarily have size up top either. The only size is in the back, where Miazga, Payne, and Vickers have some size. Steffen is a big kid too.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why don't we just let him make his own decision.

21. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Completely agree, Payne was stout, Arriola was omnipresent. Allen was always 3 steps behind in defending/positioning, lost near every contest and was the crap passer in the match. It was obvious earlier in the tournament that BJIV was a step down from Maki Tall and now Allen proved another step down from Jamison (sp). Allen is out no? Who takes that position (and Acosta's)?

22. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    John McGuirk said:
    He probably would've been great had the Colombians scheduled fight club tryouts a couple hours later.
    Do I have to remind you two of the the First Rule of Fight Club?

Tom Collingsworth and John McGuirk repped this.
  23. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damnit man... what was I thinking??

camasterton repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I agree that it was not a particularly controversial call, but I'm not aware of him having anything close to a reputation as a hothead -- he's stonefaced much of the time. (Perhaps others have more information about this.) He was penalized for the foul, not his reaction, and it's not crazy to expect a guy to be upset after getting a red card and giving up a PK in the waning minutes of a World Cup knockout match.

ussoccer97531, Guinho, stonej16 and 4 others repped this.