2015 FALL ATTENDANCE THREAD

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Darkwing McQuack, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Final 2015 NASL Attendance Averages - NASL Sets DII Record, Increases Average Again

Indy....................9809
    Minnesota...........8767
    Jacksonville........7927
    San Antonio........6742
    Tampa Bay.........5648
    Ottawa................5164
    NY Cosmos.........5062
    Ft. Lauderdale....4508
    Carolina..............4501
    Atlanta................4024
    Edmonton...........2889 *

* (3122 @ Edmonton and 1369 in 2 games At Fort Mac)

NASL league average of 5,913 breaks their own Division II record set last year (5521).

Numbers taken from Kenn.com, see his site for a more in depth look at NASL attendance's for this season :

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=7562#easy-footnote-1

Another excellent year attendance wise for the 5 yr old NASL.

Antique and brentgoulet repped this.
  2. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I am really surprised at how well Ottawa and Jacksonville did this year. Hope they both continue to do well next year. Indy seems like a solid box office draw but..... so did the Scorpions at one point. I predict that San Antonio will continue to see their attendance decline. The Rowdies weren't hurt by their crazy owner's personnel decisions. I like the Railhawks new owner's chances of moving their attendance in the right direction. With Minnesota in for another year, I think the NASL could set another record next year.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that seems safe bet at this point. 0 will be a huge decline.

4. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Ottawa also lets kids in for free.

5. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    There was some discrepancy between what I have and what Prosoccerdn posted, so I figured I would post this, as well as a few other things.

Code:
    Final          Season Average(2014) 
    Indianapolis           9,809(10,465)   -656
    Minnesota              8,767(8,088)   679
    Jacksonville           7,927    
    San Antonio            6,699(6,754)   -55
    Tampa Bay              5,648(4,550)   1,098
    Ottawa                 5,164(4,492)   672
    New York               5,062(4,960)   102
    Ft. Lauderdale         4,471(3,626)   845
    Carolina               4,539(4,551)   -12
    Atlanta                4,028(4,053)    -25
    Edmonton               2,889(3,385)   -496(-263)

Season Average
    NASL 2015              5,909
    NASL 2014              5,520
    Difference             389

NASL 2015 Fall          5,606
    NASL 2014 Fall          5,607          
    Difference              -1

League Total 2015: 975,033 (165 games)
    League Total 2014: 745,238 (135 games)

The most important number in all of this is teams on average drew 215 more fans than last year.

Not surprisingly Indy dropped, although it dropped more than I would have liked to see. Even though the Strikers had some attendance woes at the end of the season they did end up with the second highest difference in the league. Even when you do not include the Ft. Mac games for Edmonton they still had a -263. Although, when you do take those away the NASL Fall average goes up to 5,685, for a difference of +78 from last Fall. Atlanta had also been doing much better than last year up until near the end. I suspect the news of only 4 of the owners being on board with keeping Atlanta afloat next year may have had something to do with this.

With the Atlanta and San Antonio situations, plus Miami not being a traditionally good soccer market, and the possibility of OKCFC going head-to-head with OKC Energy it is tough to speculate how attendance will be next year. Hopefully, though, they will be able to get over the 6k average and 1 million total for the season.

7. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's disappointing due to it being a playoff game and all.

The One X repped this.
  8. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this game was at MCU Park instead of Shuart. So attendance wasn't going to be spectacular to begin with.

9. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its easier to get to MCU in Coney Island then Shuart so they should have gotten more people. I personally thought they'd get more fans but seems this is really all they can pull without a bobble head giveaways and appearances by Pele.

10. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea just watched highlights of the game. There was probably between 2-3k actual people there. Also something sad I just noticed. Outside of the supporters group none of the fans wear Cosmos merch or even the team colors unless it's free t-shirt night.

11. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not all kids, only aged 14 and under AND a member of a participating local youth soccer program.
    These kids were also nowhere near a majority of the fan base and bring in a paying parent or 2 as well.

bullsear and brentgoulet repped this.
  13. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Their base however is currently more around Hofstra, didn't expect them to draw well for this one so not surprised. Likely some skipped this one in hopes of them making the championship final back at their regular stadium. We'll see how they do for that one. Hopefully this ends it for matches at MCU, terrible optics with the brown turf field and shouldn't be allowed again just for that reason alone.

bullsear and brentgoulet repped this.
  14. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just leads me to believe that they've pretty much lost the NYC crowd, which is bad. To many in the city either their teams season is over or the game they're interested in going to is tomorrow in NJ not this one here.

15. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game! I thought more people would show up too. As a plus I was able to see the game on ESPN3.

16. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the Soccer Bowl's attendance being in the 6-7k range. Interest in the team seems to have dropped a lot since the Open Cup loss. Don't see the final changing that trend. Same thing happened after last years Open Cup loss too.

17. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you go to the game?

18. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds about right but if they get that number I'd be disappointed. I mean these are the Cosmos we're talking about here New Fricking York is the city they're near and you only get that much not that would concern me just because I fear it may start to raise doubt of viability in the owners minds.

19. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    I didn't think 5k was that bad...but not great/good.

soccer playoffs have never really been well attended, unless you're in the west or especially Cascadia. I think soccer fans do well with season tickets/enough response time, but when it comes to matches that aren't on the "schedule" they are slow to respond for whatever reason.

that being said, great news that ottawa will be 7k+

so we know the championship game will be in ny....hope their ticket sales and marketing team are getting a jump, like now, at this moment!

20. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the game in my own backyard, tough to bring an infant to a game, he decided to nap anyways...I saw all of the empty seats on espn3. 5 points were strong though. It is a shame since Raul played a great game.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  21. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ottawa closing in on 8K now :

22. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I went to the game and thought the attendance would be 5K.

Two things, one: who would want to sit behind the baseball screen in the corner of the field?
    Two: the upper deck, box seats, booths, etc. were packed [above the empty seats behind the screen].

I can't imagine the team could draw more there without a soccer specific home stadium. The park's design, turf, colors, seating arrangement isn't the easiest.

I only went to games at CI. I would love to think there's more folks like me who would go to games there but it would take a big commitment from the team and quite honestly, I think LI is their strongest fan base. I know Dan we've discussed this; as much as I would like the team in CI, they're probably better off at Hofstra with the occasional match in Coney.

bullsear and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  23. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance was stagnant this season for the Cosmos and that's after signing Raul! I'm seriously concerned about the club because 5k average is okay for pretty much any other team in the NASL but not for the Cosmos who have been telling everyone and their mother that they are just as good as any MLS team. I'm just worried that Sela sports will just cut and run and leave the league holding the bag. Like the previous owners of the Silverbacks did.

24. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think if the Cosmos need another stadium for a game or two if Hofstra isn't available for a weekend like this past one they might as well go to Belson Stadium. Its closer than Coney Island is to Hofstra, has a proper field optics wise, is a SSS I believe, and can be expanded to 5K from its 2600 if need be apparently. If the semi final had been their it would have presented much better and the atmosphere would likely have been excellent with a packed house.

25. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    If Belsen could be expanded, then yes, a good option. There's not a lot of space there though. It isn't on the subway and that does dissuade some people.

I guess the larger question is, if Elmont is out, where do you build? You really only get one shot to do this right. The city has limited options and they're expensive; Aquaduct, Coney Island, where else? On the Sunset Park waterfront? East NY? All of these would now begin again the long process approval/construction. It's going to take years.