2015 Draft

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by CometsFan, Jan 16, 2015.

1. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Thoughts on the draft? I think there were some things they wanted to do, but couldn't find the willing partners. I like what they did in the first half of the draft. I really like the Rowland pick. She will be solid for many years to come. It will be good for her to learn from Barnie before she moves on down the road.

Honestly don't know much about the players taken in the back half of the draft.

Also, expect an announcement sometime soon. I'm pretty sure they were able to hash out a deal for a different trade (not draft related) while they had everyone in the room.

Of course, like has happened many times before, I could be completely wrong about everything.

2. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hey CometsFan I didn't see this thread for a bit so I put my concerns on the other page. As far as the draft goes, I think it was mostly a success. I wanted Shea Groom and Caprice Dydasco and we put ourselves in position to get both. Everything else is just icing on the cake. I noticed on Twitter and then you mentioned on the other thread that KC has acquired another defender which is much needed for depth. But I just thought with Dydasco somehow falling into our lap in round 3 it was a sign...and wouldn't have to loose one of our current roster players which I like so much. But trade it is I guess. Streight is also a bittersweet acquisition for me as I feel it's bc of Richmond not returning....call me paranoid. Bright side tho, I think KC has the best goal keeping situation in the league right now with 3 strong options. Rowland needs some work IMO but still one of the better back ups in the league.

3. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Rowland is my favorite pick of the draft. I like groom and think she'll be great, but love that Rowland will be able to take her raw skills and learn under Barnie for awhile.

I'm trying to figure out the details of the trade but I know it was in place during the draft and helped to solidify their draft strategy.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think Rowland could've been taken later. I think she was a little over-rated being behind that UCLA defense (it's no surprise to me that both of UCLA's CBs went before her). Maybe she wouldn't have been available for the 26th pick, but then Sabrina D'Angelo most likely still would have (though I think WNY still would've gone for D'Angelo, so Rowland would've been available). And Jordan Day (the 3rd best keeper available) didn't even get drafted, so if both had been picked they still had an option.

And I still think it's a shame they didn't draft Dydasco. I really can't think of any outside back in the NWSL who I think would fit the team as well as Dydasco. So even if that's what the defender they are bringing in with the trade plays, I'll still be disappointed. And even if it's for one of the other LBs drafted today, it'll still be sad cause Dydasco is one of my favorites and they could've had her without having to trade anyone. Although, if they were to trade HAO for Hinkle or Gilliland that actually wouldn't be too bad in my opinion, as I don't think HAO fits their system and they were both gone before KC's first pick. Actually, if they had wanted Hinkle, drafting Dydasco would've made a nice trade as she played for Naimo, they probably could've sent her and a draft pick for next year (or maybe one of the backup MFs who won't see much playing time, like Gorry) in exchange for Hinkle.

ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    According to twitter that defender is Rebecca Moros.

I'm not sure what I think about that

6. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not impressed with any of the Thorns defenders from last year...and honestly completely forgot about Moros altogether. Hope we didn't give up much. Would have much rather drafted Dydasco or signed Zadorsky (yeah I'm not giving up on that until preseason starts)

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the time last year, Moros was quite good. Some of the time, maybe not. She's more a journey-woman kind of player. With the Thorns getting Kyle and Wilkinson, it seemed like someone at the defensive end of the field was likely to go and I guess Moros was it.

I don't think she'll be a bad player for the Reign. Just not a great player.

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    :thumbsdown:

Dydasco would've been better. She would've been their starting left back for the foreseeable future.

The only Portland defender I would possibly be interested in would be Emily Menges. She did show some great potential last season.

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    FCKC you mean;).

Any way here is the original tweet I saw.

10. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm starting to gather that KC prefers defenders that can play several positions. Still not happy about Moros but I'm assuming the coaching staff believes she can play right/left back and dmid. Guessing that's her draw.

I would still like a flank player other than Robinson tho. Perhaps Souza is it?

11. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Update: I'm reading on twitter that we will trade an international slot for Moros. Which means Gorry isn't returning or Souza got her green card. Would have rather used that international slot on another defender tho...

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Wait what happen to all your slots? Apart from Gorry and Souza, who else has it?

13. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    WNY has one, for their 2nd round pick in this draft. Chicago has the other from the LePeilbet trade.

Blaze20 repped this.
  14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    If it's Moros for an international slot, that makes no sense. Portland currently has 2 empty slots. Are they really gonna sign 3 more internationals? And KC only has the two, as previously mentioned. Why would they give another one away? Only explanation is if they are hoping to trade Gorry.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure Portland has 2 empty international slots? As of now, they're planning on using three slots for Angerer, Boquete, and Catley. Ryan said, in today's paper, that their trade work during the draft included trading for an international slot into which to plug Jodie Taylor. I'm assuming this is the Moros trade to FCKC.

Riley also said the Thorns have another big international name coming in, this one a goal scorer. I don't know if that means one of Angerer, Boquete, or Catley is not coming back or if it means they're working on gaining even another international slot.

Riley also said that some of the players on the current roster ultimately won't be with the team, which is obvious as right now they list 25 on the roster. That 25 includes Moros and McDonald, who now apparently are gone, so that means 3 more eventually will be gone. And, if they keep Angerer, Boquete, and Catley and another international comes in, that means 4 rather than 3 eventually will be gone.

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, they currently have 2 as neither Boquete nor Taylor are under contract. Only Angerer and Cately are.

I guess if they do have 1 more international they are going to sign plus keeping a free slot for Boquete and Taylor, they'll need one more slot. I'm just not convinced they'll get those two to sign, at least not until after the WWC.

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry FCKC fans, this is off topic, but:

They are planning on having Taylor before the WWC, and from what I've read they've talked to her and she wants to play in Portland.

That reminds me ... I'm getting the impression reinforced that some of the national team players are exercising leverage to get to play on teams they want to play for, and I don't just mean USWNT players. The Sophie Schmidt situation makes me think she may want Portland and may have declined to play for Sky Blue this year to create pressure. If she can get herself to Portland this year, it would make it 5 CNT players on the Portland roster. That could be something that would make Herdmann happy, in addition to Sophie's own likely desires to get back to Portland. Regarding Taylor, I believe the Spirit said they were not sure they would be able to get her to play for them this year, which possibly could be her telling them she wanted to be moved. Of course, we don't really know, but for the amounts the ladies are getting paid -- including the national team players -- it's hard to blame the better ones for using whatever leverage they have to play where they want to play.

Regarding Boquete, as I've posted before, the Thorns want her back, she has said she wants to come back, the question is when will she be available this year. I think the Thorns will do everything they can to get her here for at least part of the season, she is a very big fan favorite among the competitive youth players and among the adults who know soccer and she has done a lot of outreach here to the Spanish-speaking community, which is pretty substantial.

18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Moros can play dmid, I think that would be a stretch -- she's 5'5" and she's not otherwise big. But, she can play as an outside defender or mid.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need to be big to play DM.

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more that she's pretty small. Looking at the WNT, the shortest likely candidate for DM is 5/7". And, it's not just height, it's build too. I just don't see her as a DM. This isn't a criticism of her as a player, it's just a comment about where you'd be likely to see her.

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Angela Salem is Moros' size, and she's a fine DM.