2015 Crew Roster Thread: 2014 Off-season edition

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, well, I believe the dispersal draft for Chivas is tomorrow (where we pick 15th), and the Crew just declined the options on 7 players (Arrieta, Paladini, Viana, Baiden, and the HGs: Walker, Friedman, and Wiet). Remember, some could be back at lower salaries, but not Jairo given his tweets.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2014/11/cuts.html

From Jardy, currently under contract:

GK (3): Clark, Lampson, Stuver
    D (7): Williams, Parkhurst, Pogatetz, Francis; Barson, Wahl, Sweat
    M (10): Higuain, Finlay, Trapp, Tchani, Jimenez (M/D); Saeid, Gall, Speas, George, Swanson.
    F (3): Kamara, Schoenfeld, Bedell
    Out of Contract (3). Gehrig (D), Anor (M/D), Meram (M/F).

As far as we know for the expansion draft:
    a) Teams can only protect XI players
    b) HGs are automatically protected unless they are on the salary cap roster. For us, this would mean Trapp and Speas are auto protected, but Barson/Lampson could be vulnerable depending on how we work the roster. If Gall is indeed a top 20 guy, then 1 HG would be outside the top 20. If it is based on base salary, then we'd have to protect both, as Gall would be outside the top 20.
    c) We don't have to protect Kamara, Swanson, or Saeid, as they aren't officially Crew players yet.
    d) If we take a player in the dispersal draft, we'd have to either protect or expose them in the expansion draft.

Latest roster from @MLSinCleveland for reference, sans Saeid.

[​IMG]

CybrSlydr, chr1st and foozer repped this.
  2. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sad to see Jairo go. He always smiled, worked hard and was easy to root for. Too bad he just couldn't find his form.

ZipSix repped this.
  3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have zero problems with the players who were sent packing. I do root for the HG kids to latch on someplace. USL-PRO is rapidly expanding and NASL is an option. Hopefully they find a team

5. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg made a point to say we only have to protect 1 HG. Which means 2 things:
    1. They must use the guaranteed salary rather than the base salary, so Gall is in the on-budget roster.
    2. Either Lampson or Barson will be on the off-budget roster and automatically protected, but not both.

As far as who they should protect by moving to the off-budget roster, Barson offers more immediate value. However, I have a hard time seeing any team NOT picking Lampson- he makes the league minimum, is young, and has starting experience. I'd protect Lampson by moving him to the off-budget roster.

Our protected list should look something like this:
    1. Clark
    2. Parkhurst
    3. Pogatetz
    4. Francis
    5. Tchani
    6. Higuain
    7. Finlay
    8. Jimenez
    9. Gall
    10. Meram*
    11. Anor*
    *(assuming we choose to at least attempt to re-sign them)
    Auto-protected: Trapp, Speas, and Lampson

We can leave Barson unprotected along with Williams and Gehrig. We can't lose all 3 (and it's likely that once we have a player taken, we can protect another player).

6. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    At $125,000/year, I wouldn't mind losing Williams. I know the injuries weren't his fault, but before that he showed an incredible inability to provide service.

Plus, after shedding $275K from the Viana and Arrieta contracts, cutting another $125K would be a nice addition for that Cap Space guy I heard a lot about on the 2014 roster thread.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Unless i am missing something (which is possible) Why are you counting Gall as a homegrown?

8. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I think as Gall is currently on the cap exempt roster, and GB hinting that hinting that only one HG is being protected, the assumption is that Gall is moving off the exempt in the place of on eof the HGs currently on the non-exempt?

e.g. Barson moves onto the exempt list as Gall is moving the other way?

of course I might be missing something too.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Ah - That makes sense.

10. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. The salaries listed were assuming the roster designation goes by "base salary," which GB made it sound like is not the case. Therefore, Gall will be on the senior roster and one of Lampson or Barson is on the off-budget roster (and thus automatically protected).

Placid Casual repped this.
  11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I'm a semantic asshole, I'd suggest we use the term 'exempt' for any players who aren't eligible to be included in this draft. Certain HG players, guys like Kamara who won't be on the roster until 2015, aren't even a part of the draft; they're exempt from it. It's not that we don't have to protect them - we don't have to protect anyone - but, rather, that they're not a part of the draft.

12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lampson on the exempt roster is my best guess. If it is proven otherwise, I can flip him and Barson.

14. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing unexpected there. Nice to have confirmation that once a player is selected, you can then protect a 12th player. These things are extremely hard to predict because you don't know what they're looking for. Worst-case scenario: Barson is protected automatically (instead of Lampson) and we lose Lampson and Gehrig.

Best case scenario (though could actually happen): We lose Kevan George (he's young, plays for his national team, connections to Florida, versatile, and cheap (and not very good)....) and Adam Bedell (he's tall and cheap).

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Also depends on what other teams are leaving unprotected.

Philly has 3 keepers - They can't be protecting all of them, though with them they might.

16. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And I'm sure they will try to get Kennedy in the dispersal draft too.

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summary as it impacts us:

- We can protect 11 plus non cap-roster HGs (also GAs are automatically protected, but do we have any non-HG GAs?)

- If we don't protect Sweat and/or Bedell, a team taking them must offer them a cap roster spot and keep them there through the Aardvark's arrival (Roster Compliance Day).

- Players with declined options are part of the expansion draft and can even be protected (why they would be is anyone's guess).

- We must protect at least 3 International slot players (so essentially we can only leave 1 of Francis, Pogatetz, Anor, and Higuain available).

- George may also be included in the above group as they are counting all "non-domestic players" as international for this draft (George has a Green Card).

- I doubt Tchani could be counted under this provision as he is now an American citizen.

- We can protect one guy after losing 1 and everybody else left after losing 2.

18. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Same. Although I'm not really sad to see him go (because I would like our team to score), he's definitely an easy guy to cheer for.

The situation he was in for the final year here was not an easy one to go through and he always had a smile on his face.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  19. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blake auto-protected. Gotta imagine they'll try to trade Macmath before the expansion draft.

20. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Jardy mentioned we are required to protect DP players, so does that count towards our international players protected?

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    One of those "We will trade him to you but don't take any of our players" deals.

22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Although the rules state that DPs must only be protected if they have a no-trade clause. Higuain must have one.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That doesn't make sense.

24. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    I think what Jardy meant, or at least how I read it, was that he was not exempt, so we would have to explicitly protect him if we so desired. I believe in another tweet he mentioned that Pipa does not have one of those clauses.

mmradio13 and MLSinCleveland repped this.