2015 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ForeverLOST108, Dec 20, 2014.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, part of her statement is ambiguous. She could be referring money as an issue or she could be saying she's invested enough of her life in soccer, would like to explore some other things to do with her life, and given that doesn't want to occupy a roster spot that a younger player would want a whole lot more than she does right now.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well I think it is a little bit of both really, because I'm sure if she was making more money (i don't know say maybe a couple of million bucks) I'm sure she will find it in herself to continue playing.

I totally get where she is coming from and I myself if I was in her position will most likely make the same choice. It takes a certain breed of players to remain committed to playing in this league

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Colaprico and DiBernardo are kicking _ss at the U-23 level. Can't wait for the season.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And just think, when the US crashes out of the WWC before the semis, massive roster turnover should (finally) occur, and the young players will finally rule!

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  6. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
  7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The only way that would happen is if they only take 2 keepers. Canada's only called in 3 keepers for the past few years: McLeod, Labbé, and LeBlanc.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FIFA rules says 3 keepers minimum, so there should be no surprise there.

9. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Yeah I realized that right after I posted that there wasn't another Canadian keeper I could think of to be that third. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Curious to see what the Red Stars schedule will be like. I'm hoping they schedule Notre Dame, for one.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Red Stars pre-season schedule as well as pre-season roster:

http://chicagoredstars.com/red-stars-announce-preseason-schedule-and-roster/

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I wonder if Adriana Franch didn't want to play in the US anymore. One would to think the CRS management was notify pretty early by Vancil that she was thinking of retiring so I'm wondering why they didn't go after AD. Was WNY asking for too much (they are known for that)?

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't think AD would've wanted to be a backup for KK... even if she is going to miss a large part of the season. Nor would Chicago want to pay that much when they have an allocated keeper.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Make sense

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just got back from Marquette University.

Before I give some insight into the game and players, I have two questions:

1. What makes a great team Captain?
    2. Is Brittany Klein back with the Red Stars?

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #93 MRAD12, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    To answer the first question, what makes a great team Captain?

In my opinion,
    -She is one that wants to be there with her team on their first exhibition game, even though she just got done playing several grueling international games and a tough tournament in Europe.
    -She is there to make sure the young players feel welcome and to make sure they have a leader to look up to.
    -She is there with her team during the toughest time - the pre-season, not taking days off.
    -She just wants and loves to play.

This is the Red Stars Captain, Lori Chalupny.

When I walked onto the soccer complex at Marquette University this afternoon, I was surprised to see Lori in uniform, in the middle of the field and commanding troops. But after thinking about it for a minute, it shouldn't have been a surprise - this is the best Captain in the NWSL and this is her team.

SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To answer the second question, is Brittany Klein back with the Red Stars?

No. But Danielle Colaprico is. To me she looks and plays a little like Brittany Klein, who I loved as a Red Star back in the WPS days.

Colaprico has excellent ball skills and good vision, from what I saw today. Very happy she is in Chicago.

lunatica and CoachJon repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #95 MRAD12, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    About the game.
    The Red Stars wore their blue striped shirts with red shorts and red socks.

Score:
    Red Stars - 3
    Marquette - 0
    Goals by Chalupny, Mautz, DiBernardo

As I said, I fell in love with Colaprico's play the first posession I saw from her. I thought to myself, now this is a soccer player.

Arin Gilliland, I thought looked good as well, just needs a little smoothing around the edges going into the pros. She played left back who often went up flank with some good runs. However, she would take on two or three players at a time instead of dishing it off to an open teammate. Something she will learn as a pro to be patient and play off her teammates. But seems to be a tough as nails player. Like her style very much.

Sofia Huerta is going to score lots of goals in this league. She has height and covers a lot of ground quickly with good strikes from both feet.

Sam Johnson was at her central defender role and looked like she hasn't missed a beat.
    Dibernardo had some good looks and passes as well.
    Mautz had some good runs and crosses from the right flank.
    The Red Stars look def. in shape. That, IMO is a tribute to Rory Dames. He expects nothing less.
    Folks, Jen Hoy can jump. Not only is she fast, but has hops. I wonder how close she comes to dunking a basketball?

The goalkeepers - Michele Dalton, Monica Gonyo
    Dalton looked solid. Made several good diving saves, commanded her back line well, and went up for crosses solidly.
    She will be the starter.
    Gonyo came in, in around the 75th minute and did a good job with what she had to deal with.
    This was my biggsetc concern. But from what I saw in spring game #1, Dalton is solid.

This was only the first game for both teams and a little rust and anxiety was evident. Let's see how the Red Stars progress through this pre-season. By the time they get to Notre Dame on April 8th, many questions should be answered and the team should be jelling into NWSL season form.

Folks, when Julie Johnston gets back with Christen Press and the Canadians, this will be a very good team. In my opinion a playoff caliber team.

ceezmad and mamalia repped this.
  21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I guess the red shorts are an improvement over the white shorts last year...

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the front where you can see the red stars going across the chest it matched the red shorts and solid red socks, however from the back, it looked sorta mismatched.
    But hey, I love bright colors.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I have nothing against bright colors (for instance, I like the PSG away and 3rd kits this year). If the numbers on the back of the jersey matched the shorts, it might look ok. I didn't see a picture of the back, so I assume it's the same as last year?

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #99 holden, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    The more I think about it, the more I think red numbers would look nice.

25. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I also liked that the Red Stars tweeted a picture of the squads with the Marquette players alternating with the Red Stars. Nice way to broadcast appreciation and respect for their collegiate opponents.