2015 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ForeverLOST108, Dec 20, 2014.

1. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland and Seattle have a bigger fanbase.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #277 MRAD12, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Why? I'm not talking about people that live in Portland and Seattle. I'm talking about people on these blogs and others? Other then Portland putting 14,000 fans in the stadium every game, what is the fascination? They aren't playing that great right now. Chicago and Washington are playing much better.

Why is an Alli Long foul more interesting then what Danielle Colaprico or Sofia Huerta doing for the Red Stars?

Is Portland's fan base such a huge story right now that the fascination of Portland trumps whatever other teams are doing on the field?

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me. I still harp a bit on their style of play. Although I like them, I do still harp on that a bit. :)

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I guess I'm just trying to get people aware that there are more than 1 or 2 teams in this league. Of course I can't make people talk about what doesn't interest them.

Portland is a wonderful story and should be discussed. But there are other teams in the league like Washington and Chicago for example who are playing wonderful soccer that rarely get attention or love on blogs from posters. No one seems to want to dissect Colaprico's uncanny field vision, but boy, a Thorns player commits a foul and we discuss it to no end.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Not sure where this 3 page discussion of a Long foul was, I must've missed that. Anyway, I decided I'd go back and look at the Week 7 discussion, because it is over and Chicago wasn't playing one of the "popular" PNW teams so that would not have influenced the number of times they were mentioned. So lets look at the numbers (Gilmoy's PBP were not counted):
    1. Houston: 22
    2. Boston: 16
    3. Chicago: 15
    4. SBFC: 12
    5. FCKC: 12
    6. Seattle: 9
    7. WNY: 6
    8. Washington: 6
    9. Portland: 1
    Strange that oh so popular Portland only had one comment. Even Seattle who didn't play a NWSL game and did not stream their game against China had more comments! But look at that... Chicago had the 3rd most comments, only beaten slightly by Boston (who was probably aided by having no concurrent match). Houston was the clear leader with people going gaga over Ohai.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Did the numbers for week 8 too, even though there might still be more posts to come. Taking out Gilmoy's PBP and the discussion about whether Portland and Washington's jerseys were too matchy-matchy (of which there were 8) we have this:
    1. Houston: 8
    2. Seattle: 8
    3. Chicago: 6
    4. Boston: 3
    5. FCKC: 3
    6. SBFC: 2
    7. Portland: 1
    8. Washington: 1
    Hmm... Chicago is still 3rd. Surly a strange way to show we'd rather have Portland in first place. Houston again at the top due to the discussion about Axon not taking the PK. Houston sure knows how to get the forums talking lately.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yea, and probably majority of the Red Stars mentions come from me.

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nope. 1 in each week from you. In fact, you post as much about other teams as you do your own. :ROFLMAO:

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Anyway, moving on. I listened to this interview of Danielle Colaprico, Taryn Hemmings and Rory Dames before the Seattle game last week and what really interested me is Dames' comments on Red Stars new or different style of play from past seasons. where the Red Stars were called physical and "bully team" in the past and such, to where the Red Stars are not that any more. IMO, they are much more technical with Colaprico in the middle.

This team, IMO has all the ingredients when the World Cup players get back to win the whole thing this year.

Rory from 3:29:

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm a Red Stars season ticket holder but I'm also a fan of the league that includes ALL the teams.

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I just find it amusing you criticize other people for paying too little attention to the first place team, when you yourself are guilty of the same thing. But I wasn't going to point it out originally because I really don't think it's a problem that you do. I like to think I pay as equal attention to all the teams as I can as well. But sometimes some games get talked about more than others regardless of who the teams are, whether it's because of a bad call, an injury, or just a sublime play.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I pay quite a bit attention to the first place team.

I also started a sub-thread a couple months ago on the Chicago Fire thread to make Fire fans aware of what's going on with the Red Stars and so far have got good response. I'm a Fire fan as and go to most Chicago Fire games as well.
    This team deserves to be talked about because they are that good.

I have much respect for Portland fans who go to that stadium every game. heck I will be there on July 3rd.

But Portland can be in last place with no wins and people will still talk about them, because 14,000 fans in the stadium is an awesome sight and just looks "sexy".
    It's like you could put a dog show in Wrigley Field and 35,000 will still go there on a warm Saturday afternoon, drink beer and enjoy the ivy. The play on the field doesn't matter.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Seems to me you're the only one around here who's obsessed with Portland. If there's some other website you're going to that is, maybe complain there. But it's fairly apparent from the post totals I posted that what you keep claiming is not happening here.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know what, I'll just drop it. It doesn't matter anyway.

15. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Ooo, but I like this discussion. I started out as a Portland fan in year one because it was the closest team to where I live (Silicon Valley) - LeBlanc was a favorite from early on and Shim - one of our Santa Clara faves- scrapped her way into a spot, and then a starting spot.
    In year one, I would say many locals just went with Portland because it was the closest and there is a WCC connection with Portland. But then the Portland flavor changed. CRS drafted Johnston, - another fave - LeBlanc showed up, two Stanford girls showed up. All the stars aligned and we suddenly found ourselves as Red Stars fans. I realized we were Red Stars fans when my daughter and I were shopping at Goodwill in East San Jose and found a WPS Chicago Red Stars jersey and we both went crazy!

mamalia and lunatica repped this.
  16. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Did you buy it :)?!!

17. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    IMG_3878.JPG

Gilmoy, BlueCrimson, mamalia and 2 others repped this.
  18. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    goaleemama repped this.
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goaleemama repped this.
  20. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I think I like the Puma version very much...

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, the Red Stars lose their first one of the season. CRS have never won in WNY and the streak continues.
    Long 2 week break and then vs. Washington at home at Benedictine.

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I posted in the Week 9 thread, Chicago has gotten a win in Sahlen's Stadium. They beat Boston in the WPSL-Elite semifinals held there.

And totally OT, I saw someone wearing a Red Stars shirt at the US-Sweden game the other day.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wore my Red Stars blue hat at the Sweden vs. US game.

CoachJon repped this.
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Check out this very cool blog about the Red Stars very own Julie Johnston from her pro football boyfriend Zack Ertz who is a tight end for the Philadelphia Eagles. Good stuff.

http://www.zachertz86.com/2015/06/19/julie/

CoachJon repped this.
  25. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States