2015 attendance discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Oct 7, 2014.

1. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    #576 JoeCelt, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    2015 NWSL Final Attendance
    90 games - 454,100 total - 5,046 average :)

[​IMG]

2. Sawedoff

Sawedoff Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Aug 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too! They were sold out for a week prior. I would love to see how high we could go without turning people away and stopping ticket sales due to seating limits.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 5708. The 5709 was a typo when I tried to retweet it. (Though it would have been 5710 if I'd taken the time to make sure my season tickets got scanned.)

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah.... Of my family, only three tickets scanned of the four of us, so there's another one there that didn't get officially counted.

5. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    With the 3rd season complete, what do you think teams that have stadium issues are going to have to do? Which teams will it effect the most?

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, what teams need to do and what they will do are different. (I don't think that the NWSL exactly has the wherewithal right now to force the teams to upgrade their facilities)

Here are my predictions of what will happen:
    • Boston: No changes
    • Chicago: Will stay at Benedictine, maybe add another game at Toyota Park
    • Houston: No changes
    • KC: Will move somewhere new again... hopefully a final move to Sporting Park this time.
    • Portland: No changes
    • Seattle: No changes
    • Sky Blue: No changes
    • Washington: Stay at the SoccerPlex, but expand seating
    • WNY: No changes
    I would love to be wrong about a few of these though.

kolabear repped this.
  8. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Well I read in one of Paulsen's statements leading up to their last owners meetings that they would be taking a serious look at the issue of upgrading facilities.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, I know Paulsen wants changes. But realistically, what can be done in 7 months with the financial constraints that teams have?

10. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    And there in lies the problem for most of these teams, being under capitalized to the extent they can't upgrade at a time they probably should be upgrading.

FootballAmator repped this.
  11. FootballAmator

Aug 16, 2014
    Reign will probably do some improvements to their stadium as well and open a few more seats.

Why do you think that KC will move somewhere new?

12. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They've already upgraded the locker rooms. And the current artificial turf is only a few years old. So what exactly is left that they can get Seattle Public Schools to approve? Replacing the wooden bleachers with seats is about the only thing I can think of that might be possible, but it would also be rather expensive (and probably not what Paulsen is worried about).

Because that's what they do.

13. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    KC, from the personnel and coaching standpoint, they have done a really good job, but from the business end of it, they are clueless.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams, though, are limited in their options by what stadiums are available in their cities. Swope Village may be working out fro them and it is a nice pitch although the seating appears limited, more limited than they say.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #590 holden, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    While Swope is certainly better for the players, you have to wonder if staying in Shawnee wouldn't have been better for the fans. Sure it was a high school stadium and had a running track and gridiron lines, but at least it was an actual stadium. And if FCKC had still been playing there, perhaps they could've convinced them to not have permanent lines (and maybe they could've chipped in a little money to get a better quality FIFA approved turf) on the new surface they installed this year.

kolabear and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC

18. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    the other SF at Toyota Park in Chicago drew just 3,031.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Anyone know what the preliminary figures in Portland are right now for the finals?

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know numbers, but the lower bowl is sold out, except for a few seats behind the south goal. It surprised me and I didn't believe it, but my wife confirmed with a real person in the ticket office it's true. It looks like attendance is going to be very good.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Semi-final game on Sunday in Chicago, to me, looked like around 5,000 fans, but figures are less.

This game was put up against the Bears football game. and not just any Bears football game but BEARS vs. PACKERS FOOTBALL GAME. The most anticipated game of the year.

Not only that, but it was in the middle of the day of youth leagues in Chicago. The IWSL (Illinois Women's Soccer League) schedules heavily on Sundays.

22. FootballAmator

Aug 16, 2014
  23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game and was impressed (1) with the number of FCKC fans who came to the game, and I mean a bunch; (2) with the number of Reign fans who came to the game; and (3) with the number of Thorns fans who came to the game to support women's soccer even if their own team wasn't playing -- I'm guessing they made up 2/3 to 3/4 of the fans.

In case anyone is wondering, the vast majority of Portland fans supported Seattle as another representative of the Pacific Northwest and also as the team with the most U of Portland Pilots on its roster. I think it was Tony DeCicco who said that of course the Portland fans would root against Seattle since they've got a rivalry going, but Tony or not, whoever said it was an idiot on that particular point who had no idea what he or she was talking about.

All that said, I wish there had been another 8,000 fans to make it a complete sell-out. I wish there had been more FCKC fans. I wish there had been more Seattle fans. I wish the game had had the electricity of a Thorns game. Oh well, can't have everything. It still was very good and an excellent game.

24. FootballAmator

Aug 16, 2014
    I find that hard to believe. Were there not chants on the north end of FC KC to the tune of PT FC ?

Most Thorns fans on twitter were very happy with the SRFC loss and why would they not be? It is their rival.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Most Thorns fans are not on Twitter. That's a pretty small subset.

Count 'em.