2015-2016 Offseason for the SAS (NASL)

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by greenroom, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Billy Forbes FTW

2. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It really all depends on what Gordon Hartman wants to do with the Scorpions. If it were me I would want to fire sale the franchise to the first person that comes on the lot. But perhaps it is more economically to just let the team go defunct. Did Hartman even renew his franchise with NASL?

Yet what is the monetary value of a stadium-less, manager-less NASL Franchise club?

I don't pretend to know the financial dynamics on this, but it seems to me there is no reason for Hartman to pour money into the scorpions to improve play on the pitch. Because there is very little up side if any. Even if scorpions field a team at all, it will probably be one of the poorest funded teams in the league and most likely end up at the bottom of the table again. Which is truly sad for the good fans of San Antonio.

Are revenues from ticket sales, broadcast agreements and other sources enough to offset the expenditures of running a competitive NASL franchise? Can someone show that it is anything other than break even situation at best for Hartman.

So why continue? Is there a possibility of selling the franchise to a willing buyer? and if so, who would want it. Where is the next NASL expansion city? Austin? And according to some NASL is at odds with US Soccer further diminishing the marketability of a home-less, somewhat dysfunctional club. There are very few cities that meet the new US Soccer criteria for an NASL city (2 million population and 15,000 seat arena). And those that do, like SSE, want direct ties to the MLS through a USL franchise.

I think the days of Scorpions are numbered and with less than two digit numbers.

One question I have is if you buy season tickets to a team becomes defunct will you get your money back? Or if the scorpions go back to Heroes Stadium, will prices be reduced? will anyone even attend the matches?

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Chris Hockman‏@ChrisHSport
    Hearing rumours that San Antonio are definitely out of 2016 NASL season draw, working on getting visual confirmation.

jrmck repped this.
  4. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well #1 has killed the Scorpions. They may/may not be headed to Las Vegas as a franchise body, but today I think we can officially say the end of the Scorpions is here. I guess with the city council final hurdle.

Never thought I would never attend a Scorpions game after the last match. I look forward to the next chapter, however, it was great to be one of the original season ticket holders, to take my kids to the games and let them learn to love the game and the atmosphere. To be able to celebrate on the pitch when they won the title on a cold October evening.

While, I didn't always agree with the FO, I have a ton of respect for Mr. Hartman, and I think in the end he got out of the Scorpions what he wanted. Which for me is great.

I will miss NASL, as I truly think it is a great league, and will follow it in the future. I guess I will need to adapt a new NASL team.

Yoshou and HailtotheKing repped this.
  5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I'll always cherish what this club was to this city and me personally. Right there in the middle you can see the top of my head and that would be my oldest boy (turning 8 in Jan) on my shoulders holding up the T250, original Crocketteer scarf as we all marched in to the very first match ever.

Chesco United, Yoshou and greenroom repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    EVERYTHING MUST GO ! (even Cornfield)

[​IMG]

greenroom repped this.
  8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's looking like how it's going to be. The NASL team is just going to move.

The question is, will the team be sold, or is the current owner just moving it?

Of course, we don't really have anything tangible to go on beyond a tweet and a clearance sale, do we?

brentgoulet repped this.
  9. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartman isn't going anywhere ... no way he's still the owner if this franchise moves.

greenroom and brentgoulet repped this.
  10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moving the team doesn't necessarily mean he would personally move with it.

But considering the team's charitable connections here, yeah, it's likely he sells.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80% off, does that include the actual team?

12. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a sad end to a once promising franchise... Hopefully the USL franchise lives up to the Scorpion's short but strong legacy.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So since it is official, should this forum get closed or moved to USL.

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be swinging by as there is a 10am-2pm final sale of everything .... hope I can at least get a couple kid's jerseys out of it or a shirt for the wife ...

... :cry:

15. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just saw this posted; new season ticket prices for upcoming SA USL team. How do these prices compare with the Scorps last season?

[​IMG]

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just so happens, the Scorpions website still has the intended 2016 prices.

2016 Scorpions.jpg

Answer: generally the same or lower. Same price for supporters per match, which is still a great price, relatively speaking.

In fact, they're using the same exact graphic, minus the Miller Lite beer garden graphic.

Also, the Crocketeers website still has the 2013 inaugural season ticket prices:

[​IMG]

17. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So a couple of people have mentioned that this has to be the end of the Scorpions name, but why?

The Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, and Vancouver Whitecaps have all kept the same name through THREE different leagues (original NASL, A-League/USL, MLS).

Originally when the MLS ownership was starting out they wanted to get a fresh start and go with a new name, but the fans forced them to go back to being the Sounders. Couldn't SA fans do the same thing?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sounders/mls-seattle-fans-can-write-in-vote-for-team-name/

Seattle’s Major League Soccer franchise that starts play next year could be known as one of three main options — or anything else. Even, perhaps, the Sounders.

That’s because the team elected to add a write-in choice as a fourth name option, giving the public the right to choose from the original three — the Seattle Alliance, Seattle FC and the Seattle Republic — or put in a different name.

Online voting at www.mlsinseattle.com starts tonight at midnight, so those who are awake late can log on and cast their votes. The process ends just before midnight next Monday, and the winning name will be revealed at a news conference that can be viewed live on the team site at 11 a.m. April 7.

“We received nearly 6,000 submissions for a total of 2,382 suggested team names,” MLS Seattle majority owner Joe Roth said in a statement from the club. “We are committed to build one of the fan-friendliest teams in the league.”

The Sounders name, which currently belongs to the minor-league soccer team in Seattle, was initially left out of the naming options as the team expressed its desire to go in a different direction.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because in this case, the Scorpions owner sold the stadium to city/county/Spurs but not the NASL club itself. In other cases, like say the USL Sounders, the USL majority owner Adrian Hanauer joined other big money owners and formed a new MLS Club which took Hanauer's owned name.

The new San Antonio USL team will not be called the Scorpions. Scorpions are more likely to be the Las Vegas Scorpions next year.

19. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Aren't they going to be the Quicksilvers? Who would be stopping the new club from taking the name Scorpions?

20. Runner75

Runner75 New Member

Oct 24, 2014
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about calling them San Antonio FC? Some of the European teams have no mascot.

Owen Thornhill and jhope repped this.
  21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  22. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    San Antonio SC is even better. There is no word(s) in the English (or Spanish) language, of which I know, that captures the essence and heart of San Antonio like the name "San Antonio".

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet repped this.
  24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the point anymore updating this thread. I'm going to lock it. If you want to talk about pro soccer in San Antonio, go to the USL thread or the San Antonio MLS Expansion forum.

If you have updates on where the Scorpions end up, start a new thread in the NASL forum. We will get it sorted out soon.