News: 2015-16 Superliga...erm, CCL quarterfinals

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, those contracts are mostly off the books (DP rule); rosters like what you see in Liga MX are practically impossible thanks to the current salary cap.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium looked sold out, it probably did not break the attendance record because of the construction at Azteca.

sitruc repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was probably his point.:) If MLS didn't have the current salary cap level and instead used the millions it is burning on the aging Euro veterans to bump the salary cap, how many of the players that were part of Club America's squad could an MLS team afford?

I'm not sure the answer to that question is significant though since I've heard in the past that Club America's payroll is in the area of $20 million.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you know this but I am still going to use your quote for my comment.

The problem obviously is that DP spending is money some teams can pay but not all teams, so you (general you, not specific to you) are basically busting the cap if you allow your LAs to spread out the money they pay Gio and the old Brit across their other players.

Is not like MLS can take 150M and divide it by 20+ clubs (are we at 21 now?)

MLS "only" has about 100M to divide, the other 50M (I have no clue how much is DP spending, I am just using 50M) is paid out of the pockets of the owners of the high revenue/spending teams.

So the real options are, unleash the big revenue teams to spend more evenly above the budget or find ways to get the teams to share more revenue (more ticket or more local TV revenue sharing).

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So Ricardo "Tuca" Ferretti has now lost two continental finals in less than a year (Libertadores & CCL) . Must be karma for disrespecting international competitions in the past including sending the U-20 Tigres team to Seattle in 2013. :D

[​IMG]

jared9999 repped this.
  6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, this goes back to the very launch of the CCL...as coach of Pumas, he refused to send out his best players for their quarterfinal series against Cruz Azul. I specifically remember Leandro Augusto openly complaining about it in a post-game press conference (I want to say after they were eliminated).

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And I don't think it was just confined to the CCL. Didn't he pull some stunts at the Libertadores as well?

It took a stern word from the Tigres management to set him straight.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup - straight up punted the preliminary series against Unión Española (Chile) in 2012.

9. Then again why send the big boys when the reserves handled Seattle just fine . A bad PK call lost them that game.

Anyhow...he won the tournament final that mattered. [emoji3]

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non-PK call? :confused: None of Seattle's goals came from the spot.

11. mean bad PK call, that one I think.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    When is the 2016-17 CCL set to start, or just set to be set?

13. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Book the first week of June for the draw - I can't see CONCACAF doing it mid-Copa América. And it will probably start in the first week of August.

tab5g repped this.
  14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    There's a rest day or more during the Copa though. Do we really expect Concacaf to have its act together by early June?

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tab5g repped this.
  16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He´s a horrible coach. The only reason hes the reigning league champ is cause he played los lindos gatitos in the final. And has a very expensive squad.

18. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate that the championship is over a year after most teams qualify. Right now I'd say Monterrey is a lock for next year, but who knows what could change by then. It basically ends up being random teams from MLS and Liga MX and the same teams from Central America every year. Don't get me wrong, I like that MLS and Liga MX are parity leagues, but it doesn't usually work out to be the best teams by the time CCL rolls around.

Although the final this year was the two best teams. So maybe I'm full of $#!^.

Paul Calixte and jared9999 repped this.