News: 2015-16 Superliga...erm, CCL quarterfinals

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The schedule is in:

First leg (home team first, all times Eastern)

Tuesday, February 23, 2016:

Querétaro FC (MEX) vs. DC United (USA), 8:00 p.m.
    Seattle Sounders (USA) vs. Club América (MEX), 10:00 p.m.

Wednesday, February 24:

Tigres UANL (MEX) vs. Real Salt Lake (USA), 8:00 p.m.
    LA Galaxy (USA) vs. Santos Laguna (MEX), 10:00 p.m.

Second leg

Tuesday, March 1:

DC United (USA) vs. Querétaro FC (MEX), 8:00 p.m.
    Santos Laguna (MEX) vs. LA Galaxy (USA), 10:00 p.m.

Wednesday, March 2:

Club América (MEX) vs. Seattle Sounders (USA), 8:00 p.m.
    Real Salt Lake (USA) vs. Tigres UANL (MEX), 10:00 p.m.

2. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #2 whiteonrice04, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Is this the first time all 4 US based MLS teams have made it to the quarterfinals?
    I know I could look this up, but figured someone here may just know this information :)

Edit: I looked it up and yes. I figured there is no way this had happened before.

3. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exciting matches. Hopefully the MLS sides can show up somewhat game ready. When will they report back from the offseason?

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - the US has always had at least one team crash in the group stage in previous editions. Our previous best was three US teams in the 2012-13 and 2013-14 editions of the CCL.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, those of you who follow LigaMX closer than I do, how are those four opponents? Where do we stand our best chance of advancing? I assume Club America and Tigres are heavy favorites but I don't know about the other two.

6. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me an honest assessment: Do even the best in MLS have a chance of eliminating a Mexican team when our best are shaking off the off-season cobwebs and they're in mid-season form? I think our teams have knocked out Mexican teams twice, but I think it's always been in the semi-final round, after the MLS club had more of a chance to find their footing.

------RM

Fanatical Monk and Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on América and Tigres, both of whom are still alive in the current Mexican Apertura playoffs.

As for Santos Laguna and Querétaro...things can change significantly over a couple months in Mexico, but right now neither of them scare anyone. Santos Laguna abused a naïve Saprissa in their last game of the group stage, but other than that have been downright horrible this semester, finishing second-to-bottom in the Mexican Apertura. Finally, the only reason that Querétaro are still with us is that in their group, San Francisco of Panama succumbed to a historic upset at Verdes FC of Belize when San Fran had the inside track on first place. They have a couple good pieces (e.g. forwards Emmanuel Villa and Edgar Benítez), but nothing to write home about.

In the CCL era, the two MLS triumphs over Mexican opposition have been at this very quarterfinal stage: Seattle Sounders took advantage of Tigres coach "Tuca" Ferretti's decision to send up a reserve team (until recent pressure from Tigres' FO forced him to change course, Ferretti would regularly punt on international competitions) and pulled off an incredible comeback to win the series 3-2 in 2013, while Montreal eliminated Pachuca in this very calendar year. Montreal in particular proved that MLS teams can get into a good enough form to handle Mexican teams in February with the right preparation and commitment.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Paul Calixte posted, you're wrong. The two MLS clubs that advanced to the Final were Real Salt Lake, who beat Deportivo Saprissa of Costa Rica in the Semifinals, and Montreal, who advanced over Alajuelense of Costa Rica on away goals in the Semifinals in April.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a re-tooled Galaxy defeating Santos Laguna is the best shot for MLS advancement.

If Seattle can turf America in the first leg, that might be interesting as well.

D.C. is going to need to upgrade their attack, but they do have the moxie to make it hard to score against them.

RSL are probably in trouble against Tigres.

10. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Looking at the FS1 Big East basketball schedule, there are no games on Feb 23, so there might be an available timeslot on FS1 for the 10pm Seattle/America match. Feb 24 has a Villanova/Xavier game at 7pm on FS1, but you can slot the 10pm Galaxy/Santos Laguna match after it. If there's ever an opportunity for Fox to build exposure for the Champions League in hopes of growing its audience in the long run, two MLS vs Liga MX matches on FS1 featuring MLS' two marquee franchises is about as good a chance as they'll get.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody cares about your facts Paul. ;)

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    If these matches weren't during Feb sweeps period, I'd argue FOXSports should consider just putting some of these QF games on broadcast FOX. These matches could be bigger than the MLB or NHL post-season. It's a pipe dream, admittedly.

I'd guess that Univision will opt to have a few of these (or maybe all of them) on UniMas and not relegated to the cable/pay household subset that gets UDN or Galavision.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Ismitje

Can this topic be stickied? If it doesn't get stickied somebody could start a duplicate topic closer to when the games are played.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    IMO, only LAG look like a favorite to win. They're looking pretty decent in friendlies. The new signings are very experienced and injury free. But most of all, Santos Laguna hasn't been very good this season.

All the other three MLS clubs look very much like projects.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Looks like 3 out of the 4 will be on FS1. The RSL match on FS2.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's for the first legs. I see all the second legs listed on FS2. Hopefully that will change to FS1 for some of them.

18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are? We struggle to beat an Armenian side, we lose to Toronto FC and then we look terrible against Xolos "B" Team in a 0-0 draw. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

At least we now have our whole team together for the first time. De Jong and Sebastian Lleget will hopefully see their first minutes on Saturday's friendly.

Namrog The Just repped this.
  19. maizenblue07

maizenblue07 Member

May 8, 2008
    2nd legs all conflict with Big East and Pac 12 basketball, so all the 2nd legs get relegated to FS2.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are NYC playing?

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    They're playing the 2006 World Cup All Star Team ... (oh wait never mind ... NYC is the 2006 World Cup All Star Team)

22. maizenblue07

maizenblue07 Member

May 8, 2008
    Unfortunately, NYCFC did not qualify for the 2015-16 CCL as they did not participate in the 2014 US Open Cup or 2014 MLS Season and Playoffs.

Allez RSL, Chesco United and TrickHog repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't really compete in the 2015 US Open Cup or 2015 MLS Season and Playoffs either. :p

TrickHog and Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC did upgrade their attack. Will it be enough? Acosta hasn't even been officially announced yet, so he won't have much time to practice with his new teammates. With Hamid hurt, I doubt it, but I'm hopeful. Just would like them to come back to RFK with a shot.

25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The striker Djaniny is hitting his stride, though. It's about time for America to buy him. :D

TrickHog repped this.