2015/16 Palermo season: Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    #1 Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    I don't care if its just you and me, @harrylee773 , lets get this forum up and running. Season starts today with a Coppa Italia match against Avellino. 3PM EDT.

Once again, the Palermo has made a slew of transfers in the offseason, though surprisingly not their manager, Giuseppe Iachini, he's already the second longest serving coach in Zamparini's reign, and was only the second to make it through an entire season. I fear for his job on a regular basis for no reason at all. If he makes it to April 3, he'll be the longest tenured in Zamparini's reign

Transfers IN:
    OrderNameAgePositionFROM
    1Oscar Hiljemark 23 CM PSV
    2Edoardo Goldaniga 21 CB Juventus
    3Abdelhamid El Kaoutari 25 CB Monpellier
    4Matheus Cassini 19 FW Corinthians
    5Aleksander Trajkovski 22 LW Zulte Waregem (Belgium)
    6Nicolas Viola 25 CM Ternana (Serie B) [previously Palermo 2012-13]
    7Ahmad Benali 23 CM Brescia (Serie B)
    8Andrea Rispoli 26 RB Parma
    9Gaston Brugman 22 DM Pescara (Loan)
    10Simone Colombi 24 GK Cagliari
    11Fabrizio Alastra 17 GK Palermo Primavera
    12Antonino La Gumina 19 FW Palermo Primavera
    13Alejaz Struna 24 RB Loan Ended
    14Ignacio Lores* 24 RW Loan Ended
    15Jevrem Kosnic* 22 CB Loan Ended
    16Riccardo Pellegrino* 19 LB Loan Ended

*These players are, so far as I can tell, still under contract with Palermo, but none are listed in the 30 man squad (teams are limited to 25 over-21 players), and I think both are in the process of being sold

Transfers OUT:
    OrderNameAgePositionTO
    1Paulo Dybala 21 FW Juventus
    2Eros Pisano 28 RB Verona
    3Edgar Barreto 30 CM Sampdoria (Free)
    4Gennaro Troianiello 32 RW Salernitana (Free)
    5Samir Ujkani 27 GK Genoa (Free)
    6Claudio Terzi 31 CB Spezia (Free)
    7Nicolas Viola 25 CM Novara (Free)
    8Silvio Vincenzo Calabrese 19 FW Vibonese (Free)
    9Ezequiel Munoz 24 CB Genoa (Free)
    10Carolos Embalo 20 LW Brescia (Loan)
    11Cephas Malele 21 FW Atletico CP (Loan)
    12Simon Makienok 24 FW Charlton (Loan)
    13Andrea Fulignati 20 GK Trapani (Loan)
    14Eric Lanini 21 FW Juventus (co-ownership ended)
    15Granddi N'Goyi 27 DM Dijon (Loan)
    16Sol Bamba 30 CB Leeds
    17Julian Velazquez 24 CB Hajduk SPlit (Loan)
    18Davide Petermann 20 CM Santacangelo (Loan)
    19Emerson 20 LB Santos (Loan Ended)
    20Danilo Ortiz 23 CB Cerro Porteno (Loan Ended)
    21Michel Morganella 26 RB Out of Contract*

*Had surgery on his knee last March and missed the rest of the season, but Palermo are still actively trying to renew his contract, or at least the contract of someone who shares his name
    [​IMG]

FULL SQUAD:
    each position listed in what I roughly consider to be the depth chart, assuming they continue to play a 3-5-2, as always given those two giant tables above, its almost impossible to pick the lineup:
    OrderNameAgePosition
    1Stefano Sorrentino (C) 36 GK
    2Simone Colombi 28 GK
    3Fabrizio Alastra 17 GK
    4Abdelhamid El Kaoutari 25 CB
    5Roberto Vitiello 32 CB
    6Giancarlo Gonzalez 27 CB
    7Sinisa Andelkovic 29 CB
    8Edoardo Goldaniga 21 CB
    9Roberto Pirrello 19 CB
    --Milan Milanovic* 24 CB
    10Andrea Rispoli 26 RWB
    11Aljaz Struna 25 RWB‡
    12Giuseppe Pezzella 17 RWB
    13Achraf Lazaar 23 LWB
    14Fabio Daprela 24 LWB
    15Francesco Bolzoni^ 21 CM
    16Ivaylo Chochev 22 CM
    17Robin Quaison 21 CM
    18Oscar Hiljemark 23 CM
    19Mato Jajalo 27 CM
    20Gaston Brugman 22 CM
    21Ahmad Benali 20 CM
    22Enzo Maresca 35 CM
    23Luca Rigoni 30 CM
    24Francesco Della Rocca 27 CM
    25Andrea Belotti 21 FW
    26Franco Vazquez 26 CAM/FW
    27Accursio Bentivegna 19 FW
    28Matheus Cassini 19 SS/FW
    29Aleksander Trajkovski 22 LW/FW
    30 Antonio La Gumina 19 FW

*Not listed in the 30 man squad on Palermo's website. I think he is about to be sold
    ‡can also play CB
    ^Injured, out for several months

627622170206818304 is not a valid tweet id

Lets get it started
    [​IMG]

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    General consesus is that Palermo needs at least one, if not two strikers, and thats assuming they don't stupidly sell Belotti like some rumors have been suggesting. Vazquez is going to be employed as a striker, but thats not really his primary position. Bentivegna made a couple of starts last season, but is likely still not ready. Apparently Cassini is going to need some time to develop as well. I don't know anything about the other two

Its possible another CB wouldn't hurt, but we are probably fine there.

Both wingbacks are probably fine. I dunno. Lazaar and Daprela are both very good options on the left. Quaison can play on the Right if need be, Rispoli should be good there as well. Who knows what CMs could play there for depth if needed.

CM is stacked over capacity with 10+ people competing for roughly 3 spots. Chochev and Quaison should both get a lot of minutes. I'd have expected Bolzoni to as well, but he'll be out for a long while.

For some idea of what first choice teams might look like,

The last match of last year had a lineup of
    Palermo: (3-5-2): Sorrentino; Vitiello, Gonzalez, Terzi; Quaison, Jajalo, Maresca, Chochev, Lazaar; Vazquez, Belotti

All of those players except Terzi are still with the team.

In a friendly against Gijon last weekend, we played
    Palermo: Sorrentino; Struna, Vitiello (Goldaniga 62), Andelkovic; Rispoli (Quaison 46), Chochev, Jajalo (Brugman 62), Hiljemark, Lazaar (Daprela 62); Vazquez, Belotti

I don't think Struna will be a starting CB, but I could very well be wrong. I thought Gonzalez was good there last year, and El Kaoutori seems to be an expectant starter. Vitiello was extremely good last season after Munoz got benched for not wanting to renew his contract. I thought he was a kid then, but it turns out he's 32.

3. SerieAforCereal

May 24, 2015
    Rafa's Cave
    Club:
    US Sassuolo Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Looks like you guys will have another great season. I've heard rumors of Joel campbell joining and I really think he would tear serie a up with his physicality an skills.

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Zamparini has been trying, unfortnately he apparently wants to stay on Arsenal's bench instead (or as he would put it "wants to prove himself there"). Must be making good money.

They also tried to get Emerson Palmeiri permanently after his loan last season, but Santos isn't selling. Jonathan Calleri turned down a move, he'll stay at Bocas to play with Tevez.

There've been a couple other names mentioned, but not much seems to be close yet.

I always live in delusional hope that Balotelli will decide he wants to play for his hometown club.

5. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for breathing some life into this forum, @Salvatore Giuseppe - I'm always up to discuss Palermo, and appreciate the background info provided as I'm still a relative n00b regarding pretty much everything aside from watching the games (when they're actually available to watch). I know that Dybala was tough to lose and will be even tougher to replace, so it will be interesting to see how his scoring output is replaced. Here's hoping we can fight for a spot in Europa this season.

6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    No problem. I'm always looking for people to discuss Palermo with. Hopefully if I talk to myself on this forum long enough, people will join. I know I've checked it a few times before only to not post because it was dead...

In the meantime, my go to source for English language Palermo news is http://ultrapalermo.com/ Follow him on twitter too @ultrapalermo and @ViciniLo (he's the main author for the page). There used to be more people who would comment on that blog as a bit of a mini-forum, but it really died out when Palermo got relegated. A lot never returned (or moved to twitter, who knows). For some reason all the articles have been giving me 404 errors today, but I've tweeted him about it, hopefully that gets fixed.

7. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool- that Twitter account is where I get about 90% of my Palermo news (the other 10% from reddit), but I never realized there was a website, too. I've bookmarked it under the assumption that the 404 errors will get resolved- thanks!

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  9. SerieAforCereal

May 24, 2015
    Rafa's Cave
    Club:
    US Sassuolo Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I'm disappointed to hear that all these transfers collapsed. Today I heard that Emerson could go to roma if that's any consolation. But, I don't understand why more players won't move to a club with such a great youth track record. Hopefully you'll be able to invest the rest of the dybala money wisely.

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Thats the oddest point, this is one of the seasons where its clear we have money to spend. Yet Zampa is still lowballing people.

He signed Cassini already for just 1.5m he'll hopefully be a next Pastore or Dybala, but he's too young (and apparently too small) to be relied on for serious minutes yet. If he wants somebody whose game ready, he's going to have to shell out.

He supposedly wanted Cambell on a loan, Arsenal said buy him for 10m or no deal. Zamparini said no deal.

He tried to get Sergio Araujo from a newly promoted Spanish side, they said 18m firm, Zamparini said somewhere between 15-16m. And was apparently was unwilling to come up the final 2m to close the deal.

Something will get done, but Zampa's desire to buy as low as possible is pushing it awfully late into the window.

11. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Iachini confirms that they are looking at Gilardino. Sorrentino offers to pick him up from the airport. Huge mistake, in my opinion. Get a rising player. There's no reason for a team like Palermo to be signing aging stars.

http://www.football-italia.net/71087/palermo-confirm-gilardino-interest

12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    defender Edoardo Goldaniga signed a contract extension through 2019.

He has been co-owned by Palermo since 2012, and they got his full rights as part of the Dybala transfer with Juventus. He's only 21 though, and has never really spent time with Palermo, and has no appearances for them. He was on loan to a Serie C and then a Serie B team the last two seasons.

I don't know anything about him, but apparently he did pretty well in B last season

13. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Update:

IN:Uroš Đurđević
    OUT: Andrea Belotti

FULL SQUAD:
    each position listed in what I roughly consider to be the depth chart, assuming they continue to play a 3-5-2, as always given those two giant tables above, its almost impossible to pick the lineup:
    OrderNameAgePosition
    2Simone Colombi 28 GK
    3Fabrizio Alastra 17 GK
    5Roberto Vitiello 32 CB
    6Giancarlo González 27 CB
    7Siniša Anđelković 29 CB
    8Edoardo Goldaniga 21 CB
    9Roberto Pirrello 19 CB
    --Milan Milanović* 24 CB
    10Andrea Rispoli 26 RWB
    11Aljaz Struna 25 RWB‡
    13Achraf Lazaar 23 LWB
    14Fabio Daprelà 24 LWB
    26Luca Rigoni 30 CM
    17Ivaylo Chochev 22 CM
    18Mato Jajalo 27 CM
    19Robin Quaison 21 CM
    20Oscar Hiljemark 23 CM
    21Gaston Brúgman† 22 CM
    22Ahmad Benali 20 CM
    23Enzo Maresca 35 CM
    24Francesco Della Rocca 27 CM
    25Franco Vázquez 26 CAM/FW
    26Uroš Đurđević 21 FW
    29Aleksander Trajkovski 22 LW/FW
    30 Antonio La Gumina 19 FW
    *Not listed in the 30 man squad on Palermo's website. I think he is about to be sold
    ‡can also play CB
    † on loan

Probably could wait for this because I have a feeling another striker will be announced today or tomorrow. Oh well

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    #14 Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    With the Belotti wage rumors, here's a look at what Palermo's wage structure looked like last year
    Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 11.10.05 AM.png

Some of these players have signed new contracts since then and are probably on more wages, but the absolute most Palermo will pay somebody is 1.2m, and Sorrentino is likely making basically what he was last year.

Things to note: 3/6 of the top earners are gone now, and I wouldn't be surprsied if Maresca or Della Rocca followed. Neither seem to be in team plans any more. Della Rocca has been sent out on loan three years in a row now, and Maresca is now 35 and surrounded by better options.

Vitiello (extended to 2017), Bentivegna (extended to 2019) and Chochev (extended to 2020)

There are also a lot of players on the team now which aren't on that wage bill, but you can assume the total is probably about the same. At the start of last year the total wages for players was 30m. That was 8th most in the league, but to even catch up to 7th place Lazio would require almost doubling the wages to 55.5m. Juventus was spending quadruple at 120m. By May it appears they had dropped down to 24.3m and 13th place (we sent a lot of unused players out on loans). In either case, Zamparini has always made clear that in order to balance the books and keep the team financially sound, the wage cap was necessary.

15. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    #15 Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Joao Silva, an inconsequential enough player that I accidentally forgot to include him on the lists, has rescinded his contract by mutual consent today. I'm not exactly sure what that frees up, but his name had been mentioned in an article I saw claiming he could be used as part of the negotiations for Marcello Trotta

There have also been a bunch of smaller rumors I'm not ready to start threads for yet:

for striker: Trotta seems to be the name of the day, though its still possible they go back to one of the earlier targets. Getting a 4th striker in is the number one priority, particularly since Iachini doesn't seem to rate any of the younger choices yet.

for right back they are apparently still in talks hoping to renew Morganella's contract and possibly trying to get Ezequiel Schelotto on loan form Inter, which would be a smart move to ver while Morganella recovers from injury, but not the most essential.

for left back, Marco Davide Faraoni from Udinese has been mentioned, which would obviously take place if Lazaar left. Another option mentioned is Luca Antonini. At 33 he's a less permanent option, and said the other day he had not talked to Palermo, but he is reportedly about to rescinded his contract with Genoa, so he would be available for free.

At centerback (a position I don't think we need anyone in) Lorenzo Tonelli and Felipe (31 year old, formerly of Parma, and then briefly Inter). I wouldn't expect either of them to sign. Our center of defense is fine.

harrylee773 repped this.
  16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    In another unsurprising move to shift some deadweight, it looks like Della Rocca is nearly gone, to Perugia supposedly. He basically hasn't played much in the last couple years.

If anything, I'm most shocked that Palermo has been this successful in shifting dead weight. A big problem for Palermo has long been being stuck with a bunch of contracts they can't unload, and therefore not being able to buy players they need.

Now they just need to shift Milanovic and Maresca, that'll be all the real dead weight gone (not counting the 7 players out on loan which, who knows what they will become.)

17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Handful of updates. I've also broken the loan outs into their own table for clarity sake. Im doing this on my phone as the new apt still has no internet. hope it works...

In: Andrea Belotti
    Out: Francesco Della Rocca
    Loan Out: Ahmad Benali

Transfers IN:
    OrderNameAgePositionFROM
    1Oscar Hiljemark 23 CM PSV
    2Edoardo Goldaniga 21 CB Juventus
    3Abdelhamid El Kaoutari 25 CB Monpellier
    4Matheus Cassini 19 FW Corinthians
    5Aleksander Trajkovski 22 LW Zulte Waregem (Belgium)
    6Nicolas Viola 25 CM Ternana (Serie B) [previously Palermo 2012-13]
    7Ahmad Benali 23 CM Brescia (Serie B)
    8Andrea Rispoli 26 RB Parma
    9Gaston Brugman 22 DM Pescara (Loan)
    10Simone Colombi 24 GK Cagliari
    11Fabrizio Alastra 17 GK Palermo Primavera
    12Antonino La Gumina 19 FW Palermo Primavera
    13Alejaz Struna 24 RB Loan Ended
    14Ignacio Lores* 24 RW Loan Ended
    15Jevrem Kosnic* 22 CB Loan Ended
    16Riccardo Pellegrino* 19 LB Loan Ended
    17 Uros Djurdjevic 21 ST Vitesse
    18 Alberto Gilardino 33 ST Guangzhou

Transfers OUT:
    OrderNameAgePositionTO
    1Paulo Dybala 21 FW Juventus
    2Eros Pisano 28 RB Verona
    3Edgar Barreto 30 CM Sampdoria (Free)
    4Gennaro Troianiello 32 RW Salernitana (Free)
    5Samir Ujkani 27 GK Genoa (Free)
    6Claudio Terzi 31 CB Spezia (Free)
    7Nicolas Viola 25 CM Novara (Free)
    8Silvio Vincenzo Calabrese 19 FW Vibonese (Free)
    9Ezequiel Munoz 24 CB Genoa (Free)
    10Eric Lanini 21 FW Juventus (co-ownership ended)
    11Emerson 20 LB Santos (Loan Ended)
    12Danilo Ortiz 23 CB Cerro Porteno (Loan Ended)
    13Michel Morganella 26 RB Out of Contract*
    14Andrea Belotti 21 ST Torino
    15 Francesco Della Rocca 27 CM contact bought out
    *Had surgery on his knee last March and missed the rest of the season, but Palermo are still actively trying to renew his contract

Loan Out
    Name Age Positon Club
    Carolos Embalo 20 LW Brescia (Loan)
    2Cephas Malele 21 FW Atletico CP (Loan)
    3Simon Makienok 24 FW Charlton (Loan)
    4Andrea Fulignati 20 GK Trapani (Loan)
    5Granddi N'Goyi 27 DM Dijon (Loan)
    6Sol Bamba 30 CB Leeds
    7Julian Velazquez 24 CB Hajduk Split (Loan)
    8Davide Petermann 20 CM Santacangelo (Loan)
    9Ahmad Benali 23 CM Pescara (Loan)*
    *forced Purchase if Pescara win promotion to A, despite him only joing Palermo this summer

FULL SQUAD:
    each position listed in what I roughly consider to be the depth chart, assuming they continue to play a 3-5-2:
    OrderNameAgePosition
    2Simone Colombi 28 GK
    3Fabrizio Alastra 17 GK
    5Roberto Vitiello 32 CB
    6Giancarlo González 27 CB
    7Siniša Anđelković 29 CB
    8Edoardo Goldaniga 21 CB
    9Roberto Pirrello 19 CB
    --Milan Milanović* 24 CB
    10Andrea Rispoli 26 RWB
    11Aljaz Struna 25 RWB‡
    13Achraf Lazaar 23 LWB
    14Fabio Daprelà 24 LWB
    26Luca Rigoni 30 CM
    17Ivaylo Chochev 22 CM
    18Mato Jajalo 27 CM
    19Robin Quaison 21 CM
    20Oscar Hiljemark 23 CM
    21Gaston Brúgman† 22 CM
    22Enzo Maresca 35 CM
    23Alberto Gilardino 33 FW
    24Franco Vázquez 26 CAM/FW
    25Uroš Đurđević 21 FW
    26Aleksander Trajkovski 22 LW/FW
    29 Antonio La Gumina 19 FW
    ‡can also play CB
    † on loan

Big couple of days left. Will Lazaar stay or go? If he is, (how) will he be replaced (a few rumors have appeared on this)? Will another RWB be signed (A few names have been mentiones)? Will Bentivegna go on loan (rumor has it he will)? Will Morganella re-sign (i hope so, this I dont think is on a deadline though)? Do Palermo still need a fourth choice striker or is it someone on the team already?

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Milan Milanovic, who wasn't even given a squad number, has been loaned to Ascoli

In more important news, Michel Morganella has signed a new, three year contract. Hopefully he comes back from injury alright. He can be a very good player, and the team desperately needs depth at RWB

19. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Last move of the fall transfer market: Bentivegna sent on loan to serie B side Como.

All in all a good market. Got a lot of players off the books and held on to Vazquez and Lazaar. Dybala leaving was a given from the start, but Belotti is a big blow.

Striker is the only open question, midfield and defense both look very solid so far (Palermo are the only A team to not concede a goal so far). lets hope Gila can deliver

harrylee773 repped this.
  20. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoepfully Gila can come through big this season- with a legit goal scoring threat, we could definitely [bites tongue] [don't want to jinx anything]

21. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 8.41.18 PM.png
    http://public.tableau.com/shared/8WW5TTTD4?:display_count=yes

Palermo with the 6th cheapest roster in Serie A based on this. Click the link, you can mouse over and see salaries for each player. This should explain why Palermo's objective is always safety first, despite any other lofty dreams. Zamparini has been amazing in terms of the financial stability of the club, but he can't compete monetarily.

A new stadium, which he has repeatedly offered to build would help a lot, but unfortunately it seems unlikely to ever happen

22. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    harrylee773 repped this.
  23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  24. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  25. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://palermocalcio.it/it/1516/news/scheda.php?id=32157

Vitiello out injured. My Italian is nearly non-existent, but "la lesione completa" of his hamstring doesn't sound particularly good.

He seems to have already fallen behind Struna and Andelkovic on the depth chart anyways, but it would have been nice to have him available. He had a very good season last year after Munoz was benched.