2015/16 Offseason Player Movement and Rumors

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cpurdom, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS CUP BABYYYYYYYYYYY

CITY&UNION repped this.
  3. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  4. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We now have several soccer players that can pass a soccer ball and do other things good. Pinch me, am I dreaming?

5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greatest
    of
    all
    time

CITY&UNION repped this.
  7. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great signing. Immediately one of the most technically skilled players to wear a Union uniform.

Barnetta, Ilsinho, Nogueira, Alberg, Edu... That's potentially our midfield. That's a crazy amount of talent.

EDIT: Also love the fact that we are shopping for guys in that 350K-750K range. It's a lot easier to accumulate more depth that way because you can buy down cap hits.

8. f10ez

f10ez Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Earnie on Ilsinho:

"His elite-level attacking ability speaks for itself and we're confident he'll have an immediate impact"

Think he starts?

9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in all seriousness, does anyone have a depth chart mock up? I think there might actually be depth to it.

10. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #1585 CITY&UNION, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    We can argue about who's where on the depth chart, but this is what I mentioned earlier: Illsinho puts two of Alberg/Pontius/Le Toux on the bench when everyone's healthy.

Personally, I'd say the depth chart would look something like this:

ST: Sapong, Herbers (Pontius/Le Toux as 2nd string striker??)
    LW: Alberg, Pontius, Restrepo
    RW: Illsinho, Le Toux, Restrepo
    CAM: Barnetta, Alberg, Fernandes
    CM: Nogueira, Alberg
    CDM: Edu, Carroll, Creavalle
    LB: Fabinho, Washington
    LCB: Anderson, Tribbett
    RCB: Marquez, Tribett/Yaro
    RB: Gaddis, Rosenberry
    GK: Blake, Jones, Badr, Creavalle, Local Helmet

Edit: opening day 18 could look like this
    Capture.JPG

11. dean_moriarty

dean_moriarty Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think he does just as soon as he gets his fitness level up. He started last preseason game and had a great first half but looked really gassed in the second.

12. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Generally agree but from what I've seen so far, and that isn't much yet, I would
    a) Keep Pontius and Le Toux as forward options
    b) Take Ayuk over either Le Toux or Restepro on the right.
    c) Flip Tribbet and Anderson
    d) wait and see on Gaddis/Rosenberry. I think you're right, but Gaddis hasn't shown yet this year.
    e) Laugh hysterically at your GK list after Jones.

CITY&UNION and SOwannaB repped this.
  13. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I've been mistakenly spelling Ilsinho with two l's but he could deserve to be called that after a few games. Didn't someone mention on here before that he used to be referred to as Il$inho?

14. DOOPist

DOOPist Member

May 17, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would seemingly confirm he's a DP, correct? Or that we bought him down to non-DP status with TAM? The various TAM orchestrations aren't clear to me now.

Still no out-of-pocket expense to Sugarman.

15. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KK I believe. He's more up on the Ukranian league than I am ( part Ukranian, hanging head in shame............)

16. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I believe that's correct. He was a free agent so no transfer fee a la Alberg. That would mean he has to make more than the salary ceiling. Not sure if Alberg is also making more than the salary ceiling, or if his TAM was just for the transfer fee.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...club-rosters-introduction-targeted-allocation

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/po...-union-acquire-dutch-midfielder-roland-alberg

Edit: with no mention of Ilsinho being a DP, it would lead me to believe he's making DP money, but not taking up a DP spot.

17. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget that Coach Local started 4 Forwards (Sapong, Le Toux, Wenger, Nando) in the Opener last March.

[blah blah blah... he didn't have the depth. But still, 4?]

18. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well 3 if you count Wenger.

19. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was actually looking back at that lineup yesterday after they posted the defenders season preview article and said
    "the Union defense hardly resembles what it did a year ago today". That XI made me shudder. Any recollection on the shape of that formation? Was it a 4-4-2 open bucket?

I'm in the same boat as a lot of other people on here thinking that Ayuk is going to spend most of the season at BSFC. I don't know about anyone else, but I've liked what I've seen from Restrepo so far, especially how I think he'll translate as a bench option. He seems pretty fast and tricky out wide and will be good running at defenders late in games.

To be honest I haven't payed enough attention to Tribbett vs. Anderson to say who I rate higher. I just figure Anderson will start over Tribbett because of age & experience. It's odd that we (correct me if I'm wrong) have yet to see an Anderson-Marquez paring in a preseason game.

Putting Gaddis over Rosenberry is not necessarily what I want to happen but it's what I think we'll see. Personally I don't think Gaddis is a long-term solution back there, and if Rosenberry can solidify his defensive game I'd like to see him take the starting spot before the end of the season.

20. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ayuk has shown flashes of brilliance with the ball and can put it in the back of the net. Those are thinks we've been historically weak on. Also sometimes late in games somebody with energy and exuberance really helps. There were days last year when Cruz would have bought those but with a much more limited skill set.

Anderson almost had an own goal against the Rowdies and seems prone to yellow cards just outside the 18.

21. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We have players that can do things now.

-smokeandmirrors- and CITY&UNION repped this.
  22. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love it if Ayuk could get 30 BSFC games while still training with the Union every week.

23. -smokeandmirrors-

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    good things seem to keep happening and i don't quite know how to deal with it

OwlSaver, cwelch999, Ruaidhri and 5 others repped this.
  24. gettysburg11

gettysburg11 Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Lehigh Valley/Gettysburg
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I mentioned that, was more of a FIFA player thing because he had 5 star skills but still, haha.

25. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Something I noticed, and maybe I read too much into this stuff but I still think it was interesting, but has anyone checked the clubs of incoming/outgoing players this year and compared them?

Pretty much all our outgoing players are ending up either at other mid-lower table MLS clubs, or in lower US divisions like USL. Meanwhile, many of our incoming players are entering from leagues at least as good as, if not better on average than MLS.

I think it's a pretty promising sign. It's also very telling of the quality of players on the roster in 2015 vs 2016. Considering where many of our former players are now, we really were fielding a team fit for USL last year.