2015-16 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by P to the Wee, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you want to believe Love was good in this series, that's your perogative. And if you want to believe Love is better than Griffin, Millisap, Ibaka etc. that is also your perogative. I would strongly urge you to reconsider both, but that's just me.

2. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So Lebron was great huh? Disappointing :p

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You okay? :D

4. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No lol but it seems like he performed how I expect him too. Now the bandwagon Lebron fans will be all over the place again. Sigh

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Kobe, favorite player of all time... but this really seals it. LeBron > Kobe, discussion over.

He won't get 5, though.

What a joy to get to watch this bandwagon fall apart... everyone whining about refs in my social media feed, I just get to sit back and relax. "Best team ever" they said. Hahaha. Lovely.

6. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    similar to seattle seahawk fans when they lost to the patriots..

i've never seen golden state fans in san antonio until last year. my bet is they were all laker fans but switched!

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Improvements for next season: make the Finals shorter. 3 weeks for one series? Christ! :rolleyes:

In the old format of the Euros (16 teams), they played the entire group stage and QFs in that time with 2 days to spare!

EruditeHobo, CR7PT and Rossonero23 repped this.
  8. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    espn had to squeeze in that OJ Simpson documentary

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree!

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Now it's KD's turn to bring a title home ;)

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't follow NBA much but I found the GS vs Cavs story compelling so I watched some of these Conf finals and NBA finals games. Maybe it's because I haven't watched it for a while, but I found the game play to be very sloppy. Lots of bad turnovers.

Also surprised at the praise of how great that game 7 was. That 4th quarter was ridiculously bad with nobody wanting to score for the final 4-5 minutes. Final 4th quarter score was 18 x 13.

dark knight repped this.
  12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I was thinking about this and that the kind of high skill basketball that we use to get like in the good ole days of Lakers Celtics wasn't exactly on display. Maybe it's partly the death of back to the basket basketball and reliance on long jumpers, or the much more athletic defense, or the impact of a larger league and salary cap, or because it was the last game in a grueling series, but that game was lacking in high quality skill. Still was a great game though.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Want to revisit this question? I think he's probably second of all time for me. None of these players can do as much as he does.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And you can't discount lebron for athleticism but give Jordan a pass. Jordan's athleticism was a huge part of his game.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jordan had much more skill and desire though

Lebron was amazing this series but top 2 ever? Better than russel, bird, magic etc

16. jabraria@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2000
    USA

Have you watched Russell play? Because he retired in 1969.Thats a good 45 - 50 years ago.
    If its the rings/championship argument, then Russell > Jordan as well ( 11 titles vs 6).

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jordan is 6 and 0nin the finals with 6 finals mvps

18. jabraria@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2000
    USA
    Something that is massively underrated

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/s...emistry-for-teams-two-year-nba-finals-absence

After coming off an NBA title in 2014, the San Antonio Spurs were looking to win their first back-to-back titles in 2015. The team ended up getting eliminated by the Clippers in 7-games in the opening round.

In the 2015-16 season, the Spurs set a franchise record 67-wins last season, only lost once at home, had an MVP candidate on the roster (Kawhi Leonard), and were expected to face the Warriors in the 2016 Western Conference Finals.

Instead, they faced the Thunder in the West semifinals and saw their historic season come to a crashing end, losing to OKC 2-4 .

So what has been wrong for San Antonio in the playoffs? Why haven't they been back on the biggest stage in the NBA?

According to guard Danny Green the issue has been team chemistry.

I think the chemistry. We had some different faces since we won (2014 NBA title). A couple of guys left and even after last year we have a different team now. Newer guys, newer system. It's a different system, different flow. We were changing how we were doing things. With that being said, it takes a while for chemistry to build. Takes a while for guys to get used to that type of style of play for guys that have been there. Once we have that foundation, we have at least one year under our belt I think it will be even better.

As for getting eliminated by the Thunder, Green points to a lack of production from everyone on the roster but credits OKC for their outstanding play.

It was frustrating that we didn't get there. We thought we were good enough. We played well all year. We can't take nothing away from OKC. They were playing very good basketball they played very well. Not just their superstars but their others, they showed up. I think we went back into a style of play that was not our natural Spurs basketball. They were playing very well and we had games like most games just like our season where we needed everyone to play very well and we couldn't get that.

Just came to a point where a team (OKC) had more guys on their team playing well than our guys on our team.

This has been a problem with Lebron James teams. Considering he went to Miami, suffered that chemistry issue and everyone started asking for Bosh trades in 2011 & 2012.. Same what happened to Love the last 2 years.
    I expect a better Cleveland Cavaliers next season, with one more year chemistry under their belt. Even if Cavs lost the finals, trading Love would have been that dumb considering building chemistry.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't think he's as good as Jordan - his mental game isn't as strong in my opinion but I do think as a basketball force he is more impactful than those guys even if magic and bird may have arguably had more skill.

thebigman repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was just really disappointed from minute 4:30 down to 1 minute each team took 6 shots and missed them all. The plan seemed to be get the 2 superstars the ball and let them have their moment as opposed to making the best play. Lebron went 0-4 in that stretch while Irving seemed to be the one with the hot hand (who by the way is not getting enough credit for his performances). I guess on the GS side they routinely take ill advised shots so you live by them you die by them. Still that attempted behind the pass by Curry down the stretch was cringe worthy for how big the moment was. Pretty careless.

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He did two of those. As my soccer coach says - when body is tired the brain does dumb stuff. He's been making those showboating passes all year which maybe made sense when cruising up by a lot in a regular season game but his coaches should have beat those bad habits out of him. It definitely came back to bite him. I'd also argue it's partly because GSW never had a true test in the playoffs or had paid their dues so they didn't know how to play with laser sharp focus and balls of steel. (Klay did against OKC to be fair.) But that may be a hater perspective. May be they were just gassed.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you don't think that LeBron showcased an all-encompassing desire to win over these past two finals, I don't know what to tell you.

zohee repped this.
  23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Kyrie has to be the most humblest guy in the NBA. Dude was nowhere to be found during the trophy ceremony, zero spotlight, and he's the guy who pretty much saved James from a media frenzy. His 41 points, his trip-dub, his clutch shooting all series long.

zohee repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He hasn't in the past

I'm not questioning anything this season about the guy at all