2014 World Cup Stadia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by gremio1903, Jan 19, 2012.

1. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    I decided to create a thread just to put some pictures of the Brazilian stadia, mainly those that will see some action in 2014. However, it can be also a space for other stadia that is currently being built or reformed.

Feel free to post on it too.

I will start with Maracana. How the stadium was changed from a three-tier to a single-tier bowl.

Here is a picture of 1965:
    [​IMG]

Now, one picture of a before-and-after the U$700,000,000.00 reform of 2007, without the stehplatz (the second-tier engulfed the lower one):
    [​IMG]

Finally, the U$1,000,000,000.00 project for the 2014 World Cup (yep, that means almost 2 BILLION dollars in ten years!):
    [​IMG]

The old third tier will go straight to the floor.

2. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the biggest shame in this World Cup is the situation in Porto Alegre.

Internacional is JOKING... their stadium reforms are halted for over 11 months, and before that, they had barely done anything at all in their stadium.

They NEVER presented financial garantees to FIFA, even when asked repeatedly. When FIFA ultimatum was ending, Internacional changed their "financial format" of reform, and decided to open a public bidding for big construction companies to reform their stadium in exchange for a 20 year partnership.

10 months after this was announced, still no partnership was signed, even though Inter directors say "it will be signed next WEEK" since march 2011.

After Porto Alegre lost the Confederations Cup BECAUSE Inter had halted the stadium reforms and had no contract signed with a construction company, FIFA and the CBF gave another ultimatum for the deal to be signed. It ended in December, and yet, NOTHING was done, and Inter is promising to sign the deal NEXT WEEK. :rolleyes:

IF they sign next week, they will still only finish the stadium reform in march 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the while, across town, in the other side of Porto Alegre, Grêmio is building a BRAND NEW stadium that not only follows ALL of the FIFA requirements for a World Cup, but also exceeds them all and also follows (unofficially of course) several UEFA Rules for the "UEFA Elite Stadium" standart.

The stadium will be more modern and have GREATER crowd capacity than Beira Rio. And is set to be finished in NOVEMBER 2012.

Why FIFA, or the CBF, or the state/municipal governments dont change the stadium to the Grêmio Arena, is beyond any possible logic or understanding... feel free to post your own theories.

Grêmio Arena construction, today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG]

an image from about one month ago
    [​IMG]

4. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Hello, my fellow countryman (I mean the state!). Long time no see, we manage some talks at Tim Vickery's blog, AcesHigh.

You only showed half of the fun! Here some footage of the other stadium in town (there are a few more, but rivalry blinds!); the one FIFA has chosen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is never to much to stress this:

Today is the January, 19th, 2012. There is no contract whatsoever to reform the stadium...

5. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Everybody knows why. The change must come from the local comittee. There was no for FIFA to pressure anything for the Confederations Cup because they only need few host cities. However, for the big stage, FIFA will not tolerate chenging its schedule because one stadium has fallen short. If Beira-Rio is not ready, the change will be done from top to bottom.

One might ask: why does not the local comittee does make the change on time for the Confed Cup?

This is the problem:
    [​IMG]

What the Internacional supporters in the local comittee would do with their shirts?!

6. cherrschamps

cherrschamps New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    wow 2 billions! i am not brazilian but i love Brazil players. Ina not imagine now the next world cup will be in brazil, how stressed is the brazilian team.One thing you can not do brazilian team if you hear me, YOU CAN NOT LOOSE THIS 2014 GAME, YOU HEAR ME?

7. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    2 billions dollars are u joking? the real value is around 1.5 billion reais, not dollars.

8. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    True. My mistake. So it's almost 1 billion dollars, not two as a I have mention above.

Now it seems worth of it! :rolleyes:

9. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Grêmio Arena... completely private stadium for 60 thousand and following (and surpassing) all FIFA standarts, misteriously left out of the 2014 World Cup...

photos from this week by club counsilor Glênio Mello
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  11. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  12. SoccerFanaticPhD

SoccerFanaticPhD BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting the good pictures of the construction progress (or lack thereof). What cities do you think will have their stadiums ready for the World Cup in 2014?

13. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    I will be back posting pictures soon. About your question, I believe all stadia will be ready for the World Cup.

All of them are going up right now. Beira-Rio is probably the only and sad exception. Although I cheer for the other team in town (!!), I would love to see their stadium ready. However, I have never seen such a mess before. The way they handled all business related to the construction is beyond pathetic.

Our main problem related to WC'14 is public transportation: within and between the host cities.

14. nike_d

nike_d New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Club:
    FC Basel
    I think this is a very interesting analysis on Poland Ukraine limited hotel pipeline for #UEFA2012 ow.ly/8HpTk

15. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Porto Alegre will certainly have a World Cup quality stadium ready by the end of this year. IF that stadium will be used in the World Cup, in case the other "official" stadium is not completed, remains to be seen.

Natal is another problematic city.

16. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    there is also the other side: which cities will have white elephants... that is, huge modern stadiums that wont be used at all and will only generate expenses, after the World Cup??

Most probably Campo Grande, Brasilia and Manaus. Brasilia and Manaus have two of the biggest and most modern stadiums for the World Cup. Too bad they only have very small clubs, with very small followings (most people in those cities root for clubs from other states), which usually play Serie D or do not even play national football leagues (only state or regional leagues)

17. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    It is Cuiabá, actually. You have picked the wrong Mato Grosso.

Meanwhile, Goiânia, Belém and Florianópolis, three cities that are more important footballisticaly speaking, were left out of the party.

18. SoccerFanaticPhD

Feb 28, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is good news that it looks like they will all be completed by the time the World Cup starts. Do you think that some of the business problems are mostly corruption-related or more based on incompetent management?

Transportation is a big deal. It can certainly be an challenge for WC tourism to get around the country. I will be going to Brazil for the event and hope something gets done in that regard. Especially because I would like to go watch games in multiple cities.

19. SoccerFanaticPhD

Feb 28, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea that there might be more stadiums renovated than will be needed for the tournament. That is amazing. Do you think that there will be games in Brasilia and Manaus? I could not imagine that these key Brazilian cities would be left out.

20. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    no, no. Brasilia and Manaus will DEFINITLY have games. And they are having their stadiums renovated FOR the World Cup.

But their renovation projects (which are not really "renovation"... the old stadiums were completely demolished and huge new stadiums are being erected in place) will have no real use AFTER the World Cup, because they basically have no club football.

As for stadiums that will be renovated or built from scratch and NOT be used in the 2014 World Cup:

Arena Palestra Italia (Palmeiras) - 42,000
    São Paulo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unak78 repped this.
  21. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    stadiums being built or renovated, that wont be used in the 2014 World Cup

Grêmio Arena - 60,000
    Porto Alegre
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    stadiums being built or renovated, that wont be used in the 2014 World Cup

Independência Stadium (América FC) - 33,000
    Belo Horizonte

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. SoccerFanaticPhD

Feb 28, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, your team (Gremio) is going to have a very impressive stadium when its all said and done...truly impressive....the Palmeiras stadium will be amazing too.

Given all the benefits for Brazilian futebol of having these new stadiums built, are the communities supporting these new infrastructure projects?

I would imagine that the majority of people would be for these new stadiums, but I would like to hear your opinion on that.

Thanks again for the pictures and illustrations.

24. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Grêmio fans are ultra supportive of the new stadium. There is an Orkut community (a kind of Facebook super popular in Brazil) with over 100 thousand members discussing the project)

here is a video of the day the works were innaugurated, at 20th September 2010

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drufOQQAra0"]Arena do Grêmio. Geral 20 Setembro 2010. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5QNjqC07SU"]iniciu da construcoes da arena tricolor - YouTube[/ame]

25. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    new video from RBS TV showing the construction of Gremio Arena (which with each day, its more and more considered to replace Beira Rio (which has it works stoped since May last year) as Porto Alegre´s stadium

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8aWcGAwJ0M"]Arena Do Grêmio - Jornal do Almoço 28.02.2012.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]