2014 WNY Flash

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Apr 7, 2014.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The full 20 player 2014 WNY Flash roster follows:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Lydia Williams (Canberra United), Kelsey Wys (Florida State University)
    DEFENDERS (7):
    Amy Barczuk (WNY Flash), Kristen Edmonds (FC Rossiyanka), Haley Palmer (San Diego State), Katherine Reynolds (WNY Flash), Brittany Taylor (WNY Flash), Kathryn Williamson (Portland Thorns FC), Courtney Verloo (Stanford University)
    MIDFIELDERS (6):
    Vicky Losada (FC Barcelona), Carli Lloyd (WNY Flash), Kristen Meier (Seattle Reign FC), Angela Salem (WNY Flash), Courtney Wetzel (Portland Thorns FC), McCall Zerboni (WNY Flash)
    FORWARDS (5):
    Adriana Martin (WNY Flash), Samantha Kerr (WNY Flash), Emma Kete (Sydney FC), Jasmyne Spencer (Washington Spirit), Abby Wambach (WNY Flash)

SeIena Iacchelli (Canada) must have decided her food truck business was a better career move compared to NWSL. I don’t know if she even reported to camp.

The Flash have no Canadian Players, no Mexican Players, only 2 USWNT players, and Adriana Franch, who is out with season ending ACL injury counts against their salary cap. WNY must have figured out a couple of loopholes in the compensation rules in order to afford their players.

If or when Sonia Bermudez comes in, maybe Kristen Meier or Jasmyne Spencer gets cut.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    More than a couple, I would think! Their roster is nearly baffling without a fully separate set of roster rules to explain it.

Still upset Rincon didn't work out. =-/

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this roster. Unlike most of the other teams, there aren't any glaring weaknesses that opponents can target. Lines has once again put together a very talented squad that's capable of competing for the championship. There are a couple of question marks, but I would be very surprised if the Flash don't finish in the top 4.

She must have been in camp at some point, but I couldn't see her getting any time on the field to be honest. Other than the fact that she would have cost the Flash nothing, it's not really a loss.

I'd take a player with the quality of Bermudez over either of those two, but Spencer may be the more vulnerable player since Bermudez is a forward. A forward who has led the Spanish league in goals two seasons running. I know it's lesser competition, but still, she can score goals, and would be a great addition off the bench.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Siberian ThunderT said on another thread:
    ... Anyway, the other thing I wanted to bring up (this is more 'trivia' than 'stats') are streaks! I always seem to like streaks, not sure why. Anyway, here are all active streaks of three or more competitive NWSL games! A star * indicates the streak is on the line this weekend: ... WNY - *Away winless(6).

Aye, there's the rub!

BTW, it appears the phrase predates Shakespeare's 'to be or not to be' soliloquy, and it comes from the worlds of bocce ball and golf!

"The origin is the ancient game of bowls (which Americans may know as lawn bowling; nothing to do with tenpin bowling). A rub is some fault in the surface of the green that stops a bowl or diverts it from its intended direction. The term is recorded first a few years before Shakespeare’s time and is still in use. It appears, too, in golf, in the expression rub of the green, which refers to an accident that stops a ball in play — hitting an obstacle or a bystander perhaps — and for which no relief is allowed under the rules."

(http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-the3.htm )

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Day - I picked up my season tickets today. Flash appeared in 3 local malls on Friday, Saturday, and today to meet fans and hand out season tickets. I got there very late today, and there were no Flash players there to chat with. Oh well.

One season ticket package includes two additional ticket vouchers for any regular season Flash game ("buddy" tickets). Other chotskies included the 2014 yearbook, license plate frame, window sticker, voucher for the enrollment fee at a local health club, and one of those small nylon backpacks with strings for arm loops. All but the yearbook are headed to the lunchroom at work to find new homes.

May 3 is only SIX DAYS AWAY! Go Flash!

Blaze20 repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that's great. Good for the Flash owners!

8. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Got my season tickets at their sports park in Elma, but still waiting on the Goodie Bag. Thanks for letting me know what I can expect when I'm there tomorrow.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Training at Sahlen’s Stadium – Wednesday, April 30 – 3-5 p.m.
    Fan will be able to see the Flash train on their home pitch on Wednesday with an open training session at Sahlen’s Stadium. The team will begin training at 3 p.m. and it is free and open to the public.

Forecast for Saturday, May 03: Few showers. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the low 40s. Sunset at 8:14 pm.

Game Time: 7 pm Dress for the weather and come on down!

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash Kickoff Dinner last night was a big success:

[​IMG]
    From WNY Flash twitter.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I was wondering if you attended and how was it. I think it's a great concept.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I did not go; there were about 300 attending. You can get a flavor of the event from WNY Twitter, with a couple links to vine-type video on Instagram:

https://twitter.com/wnyflash

I'm pretty sure the Spirit does a similar dinner; I don't know about the other teams. It was $30 a seat; $200 for a table of 8 plus a player or coach.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forecast: Showers and 52-55 degrees during the game.
    I'm headed out at 5:3o. GAME DAY!

14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very short game report. I left when the lightning delay was called, about ten minutes in to the game.. Call me a wimp, but all I can say is I know to come in out of the rain. I guess around 2,000 in attendance. Got home in time to see Bermudez goal.

15. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was there...First half they played well enough to win, second half they did not.

16. RocFan14

RocFan14 New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    good RS thread post
    I was at game, expected larger crowd despite the weather, must mean that season ticket sales were not great, Flash need to do better marketing and sales of team to Rochester-area fans. Thought Flash definitely started off well, they were the better team and dominating the game. Before the 60-minute mark we had many chances to score a game winner but could not finish, including Wambach who seemed tired, then Lines made a few subs late in the game and left Wambach in which I think was a mistake, and after that Portland came on and we were lucky they didn't score. I'm glad Wambach is on our team but it seems it hurts the team when she's kept on when she's obviously tired and unable to contribute better than a sub would.

17. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree, Wambach should have been subbed out. I can't wait to see how they play without her this week against Kansas City.

I thought Bermudez and Losada were very skillful with the ball and possession. Taylor played well on the back-end as always. I thought Williamson was a little slow on defending some of the outside runs, but faired well at containing the attacker outside.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to remind y'all that after 3 games last year, we had 1 point and still finished top of the table.

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash have upgraded their programs again this year. 2012 - paper single fold; 2013 card stock single fold with paper insert from time to time; 2014: 6 or 8 page, center stapled, glossy, with player photos, visiting team stats, and league stats.

[​IMG] [​IMG] ... [​IMG]

20. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CoachJon repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Westfield Matildas web site - Australia beats Jordan 3-1 in Asian Cup:

"Then it was Gill who bobbed up again to score hers, and the Matildas’ second, Leena Khamis releasing Kerr down the left, her measured cross finding Gill who timed her jump well to head the ball into the back of the net."

D'ya think playing on the Flash helps much? Go Sam! & Matildas!

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like the players that have gotten game time since the end of the W-League season are the ones doing the best for Australia. It's not just Sam, either- Lydia was largely responsible for keeping Japan from running up the score at times. Can''t wait for them to get back to the Flash.

CoachJon repped this.
  23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    It's the same think with Japan. I'm not sure if their league have started yet but it seems the players that are doing well for them are all the ones that are currently playing abroad. Now the selfish part of me thinks that maybe that will encourage more Japanese players to come here.

24. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Yes, please.

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has started already, but is currently on a break.