News: 2014 US Open Cup to see much-needed schedule changes, most teams of Modern Pro Era (TheCup.us)

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by olujosh, Mar 9, 2014.

1. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://thecup.us/2014-us-open-cup-to-see-much-needed-schedule-changes/

No more Open Cup games on consecutive weeks (which helps the small staff at TheCup.us more than you know). I've been calling for this for years. It will be a big help to lower division teams who have to travel (last minute travel arrangements) and teams who have to host (time to promote and sell tickets).

Also, the USSF is going to continue to allow all professional teams (Divisions 1-3) to enter the tournament, so the field is likely going to get bigger. (More Preliminary Round games?)

What do you think of the changes?

babykhris and bullsear repped this.
  2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never understood the games on consecutive weeks thing unless the point was to destroy the tournament.

So definitely a good thing.

3. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason was because MLS wanted to get the tournament done early (before the home stretch of the regular season) and I assume it's better to start the tournament early, so MLS can start early (Round 3) so there's not as much of an impact during the heart of the season.

This is a move that shows that they're starting to value the entire tournament. It's a great step forward in my opinion.

bullsear and MasterShake29 repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know that in January and February, the four Copa del Rey semifinalists (including finalists Real Madrid and Barcelona) played cup games on six consecutive midweeks for the Round of 16, Quarterfinals, and Semifinals which had two legs each?

5. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain is smaller than Texas isn't it? So travel is hardly an issue. La Liga clubs, especially Real Madrid & Barcelona, have plenty of money and deep rosters to handle multiple competitions. You have to take into consideration the challenges that the United States has (nevermind the lack of promotion/marketing that the tournament has to deal with)

aegibson and VioletCrown repped this.
  6. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well they'd damn well better start taking it seriously. Every year that they've spent more money on the tournament, they've earned higher net profits (proportionate to that spending) as a result.

7. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    As Josh said, travel isn't really an issue. Neither is selling out these games. Even on short notice, I'm pretty sure these games sell out -- and they sell out massive stadiums.

kenntomasch repped this.
  8. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I liked the schedule of recent years to play on (nearly) consectutive midweeks. It gave it a look of an actual "tournament" where you face a knockout every week, instead of the "we'll play this week, then that-ish week, then sometime later, then whenever or maybe."

I would have liked to see how this would have played in real life last year, with the Michigan Bucks, but the Dearborn team saw to that.

9. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    olujosh It finally gives poor Tavio a chance to relax as well. ;-)

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that those are relatively late rounds. Basically all the clubs in the Round of 16 are going to be in the top 2 divisions.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just kind of hard to sell tickets on short notice to a midweek game against a non-sexy opponent (much of the time).

How the tournament "looks" to you is a secondary concern at this point.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know that in Spain, soccer is really, really popular?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigger than California, but smaller than Texas, yes.

14. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really anyone that's not an MLS franchise is a pretty "non-sexy" opponent to casual fans ... or even regular fans. I mean, outside of the Rhinos or maybe the Battery (and now the Cosmos), there aren't many lower division team names (unfortunately) that casual fans know who can 'move the meter'

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I'm saying.

It's kind of hard to sell tickets to a mid week tournament game on short notice when it's not against the Galaxy or someone of that ilk.

16. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And also, it's pretty clear that any comparison between the soccer landscape here and ANY country in Europe is kind of a joke. Different worlds, different country sizes, it's a (super) major sport over there..obviously.

Although if you want to feel a LITTLE better about the state of soccer here, check out lower division soccer in Europe. You'll find those crowds with 5-10,000.

I've said this many times ... if you want to find legit optimism with the Open Cup, consider the fact that the FA Cup has had its peak, and is now (unfortunately) doesn't hold the same power (and priority) it had years ago, but the Open Cup, despite being around for over a century has never had a peak. Never. (Some would say the first 20 years, but it was still VERY dominated by the East Coast ... I'm talking nationally).

I think that once the tournament gets some real promotion, it CAN appeal to casual fans and reach its peak. The problem is, the answer is to make the games more accessible (i.e. TV, online broadcasts), but you have to have an audience worthy of that before you get games on TV. The federation is going to have to take a leap of faith and invest in getting games broadcast online, and then there might be some hope of getting a game or two on TV somewhere. But there has to be an audience first.

17. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presently, you just have to sell it on "it's a pro team" ... and you can usually generate SOME interest. If you say "The Harrisburg City Islanders are coming to town ..." ...die hards are going to say "Oh wow, one of the biggest giant killers of the Open Cup", but once you get beyond that group of fans, sadly, most soccer fans aren't going to know who they are. Lower division soccer still has a long way to go.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, seriously, like eight people are going to say that.

You know I love you, but you seriously overestimate things.

SparkeyG repped this.
  19. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like most die-hards are fairly aware of the Open Cup ... maybe not Harrisburg's past Open Cup results (maybe a poor example)

20. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I did listen to a podcast of some Ft. Lauderdale Strikers fans' show and I listened for about 15 mins. and during that time most of it was spent with one guy who apparently had a basic understanding of the tournament explaining the tournament to 2-3 other people who have never heard of it, it seemed :)

21. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think that would start with having all of the NASL clubs and all of the USL PRO clubs to have a local network that broadcasts all of their home games.
    Once you have that along with MLS sides local braodcaster televising all of their open cup matches then a deal with ESPN3/Watch ESPN would be a very possible.
    As they get into later rounds where matches are at USL PRO, NASL, and MLS sites the Broadcasts can be simulcast on ESPN3/Watch ESPN in the same fasion that NCAA football, basketbal, Arena Football, CFL, etc. are able to do.
    I know NASL clubs are now beginning to have more of the clubs having a local network Broadcast their games.
    I know that the USL PRO have free webcast of all games so someone would need to Broadcast those matches but not sure how professional they are. IS it just a Camera following the game or is their a team with several cmaeras and announcers..
    No network such as an ESPN or FS1 is going to send a broadcast team until very close to the finals but before those games there are a lot of matches that could be of interest between USLPRO, NASL, and MLS cross league matches

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but soccer being popular in Spain doesn't make it less tiring for the players to play two games a week for six weeks.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With NASL now entering its 4th season there are more teams, bigger fan bases, and better players and teams. They will be bringing there best every game. So for the MLS with its many clubs tanking their open games by playing bench players and resting starters will e caught in a tough spot as a league as they will not want an MLS club(s) to play in and win the open.
    USL PRO teams will be bringing it also even it the MLS clubs are able to and bring back their loaned players for open matches.

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number of teams is allowing it to get closer that USL Pro plays D4 or lower teams ... and if they win match up almost across the board with NASL teams (NASL will have ~11 in 2015 ... and will be joined by 2 MLS teams since they'll have 18 teams ... 2 to many for a round of 16 entry group). When this happens, do you think the NASL vs USL "rivalry" will help market those midweek games in those markets? If it's done right, those markets may host some of the next round so you'll get to market a visiting MLS team which should help as well ... slow growth, but growth ... and time to market will only help.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the vast majority of potential ticket buyers couldn't give a toss about the "rivalry."

Certainly not enough to goose ticket sales.

This is still a midweek tournament of dubious consequences and you're either playing someone you play a lot or someone you've never heard of. And not every team from rungs above you has enough cachet to move the needle.

cleazer repped this.