2014 Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by wscottl, Mar 3, 2014.

1. wscottl

wscottl Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SE PA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The start of the season is a week away and I haven't heard if the SoB is organizing away trips other than NY and DC. We have booked flights for the Seattle match in May but waiting to hear from SoB before purchasing tickets. Anyone else planning to make the Seattle match? Other games?

Saturday, March 8 @ Portland Timbers
    Saturday, March 22 @ Columbus Crew
    Saturday, April 5 @chicago Fire
    Wednesday, April 16 @ New York Red Bulls
    Saturday, May 3 @ Seattle Sounders
    Wednesday, May 14 @ Sporting Kansas City
    Sunday, May 25 @ LA Galaxy
    Saturday, May 31 @ Chivas USA
    Saturday, June 28 @ New England Revolution
    Friday, July 4 @ FC Dallas
    Saturday, July 19 @ Chicago Fire
    Friday, August 1 @ Sporting Kansas City
    Friday, August 15 @ Houston Dynamo
    Saturday, September 6 @ Toronto FC
    Saturday, September 27 @ D.C. United
    Sunday, October 26 @ Columbus Crew

2. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

im confirmed for seattle and chicago. havent bought game tickets for either yet, trying to see if more s'sob are going, dont wanna sit in crap seats all by myself

3. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Also, Phillies at Wrigley same day/weekend. Doing both Saturday

4. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    sooo, is anyone doing the chicago match????

5. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know....maybe his wife?

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Here in Chicago, me, plus a couple other former residents of 136 are out here for the game. There are usually a decent number of other Chicago-based guys who join the section. I'm still trying to work out how we're going to do transportation, but it would be nice to have small tailgate like the game in 2012.

The away section (134 I think) is essentially general admission, and the Fire doesn't actually sell seats in the first 8-10 rows, but they don't really care that we move down the front (which we usually do for the games). The Union subs warm up right in front of the section too. For anyone who's coming, say Hi to MacMath's family from Michigan who've been coming to games since he joined the team and have been awesome.

Usually ticketing has gone through the Fire ticket office. They've been pretty accommodating since I've moved out here.

7. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    im excited for the game. also, i got my ticket through sonsofben.com in away supporters section , which you pick up at willcall i believe. Should go through there so we can all be together, and maybe it helps out the s'sob

8. SoccerNCheesesteaks

Jul 1, 2009
    Hatfield
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm planning on going to the Galaxy match this year, and I've gotten the emails from the SOBs about the event: http://sonsofben.ticketleap.com/la-galaxy-away-2014/details

I'm just a little unclear on what I'm ordering. I'm assuming that buying a ticket from that page will get me a seat in the away supporters section, and that I will have to pick up my ticket at will-call the day of the match.

Are my assumptions correct? Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks for any insight, and give me a holler if you're going to be at the game! :)

9. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you staying out there for the Chivas game as well?

10. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    In Chicago! Sitting in my buddy's place right now while he's got some stuff to attend to. gonna go out and some beers soon, and then tomorrow there's the Phil's and union! So that's what's going on. Thanks for your time.

11. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's usually how it is. Kelly will send you an email closer to the game with instructions. 9/10 you just go to will call.

However, an SOB capo or two are going to that game as well as a lot of the Bearfight contingent. Having Chivas USA, Galaxy, and USMNT all in the same area over the course of 6 days is too much or a lot of people to pass up on the vacation opportunity. Add in that one of those days is a holiday creating a 9-day vacation for the cost of 4 vacation days and its a shoe in for trip of the year. In the past, Bearfight has managed to get the tickets from the home team and have everyone meet them at a tailgate to enter together. That's how the game last year at Toronto was. We met at a condo across the tracks from the stadium and walked over as a huge group and left as a huge group. Its good for safety in numbers and all that. And then the group went out and played ping-pong with Danny Califf afterwards.

But as for what you are buying on Ticketleap...what you are buying is JUST a ticket. Consider staying for both games, though. Its a great opportunity. I plan on having a great time. Galaxy game Saturday, hang out in LA Mon, drive up to San Fran Tuesday for the USMNT game, come back Wednesday, go to the Pirates-Dodgers game Thursday and root for my Pirates, an entire lazy day at the beach Friday, Chivas on Saturday, then (maybe) come back home Sunday on a red eye in time to go to Jersey for the USMNT game at RBA. I can't imagine a more awesome week.

See you there.

SoccerNCheesesteaks repped this.
  12. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thoughts on the Chicago trip-

Cool city, reminds me of a bigger Philly. Toyota park is a traffic nightmare and seriously in the middle of nowhere. People complain about ppls location, but we have it great compared to them. The stadium itself is ok. Not much going on, outside of the section 8 part, the atmosphere inside is a snoozefest. I'm a little disappointed that sons of ben were sprinkled throughout and not together, but there really wasn't anyone coordinating. This was actually the first time I sat down and watched a union game, and I don't wanna do that again. Ever. Deep dish is great, but definitely not something I would eat every week. Also, Wrigley is great, like a time capsule 20140405_170537.jpg 20140405_220655.jpg

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Normally the Fire FO does leave the first rows of 134 open for the away fans so they can all gather up... this time they put a U-7 girls team there. It's actually the first time I've sat at a Union game too. The last couple games in Bridgeview have been dead.

Is that Pequods?

14. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That's Damn impressive. It is Pequods

15. SoccerNCheesesteaks

Jul 1, 2009
    Hatfield
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. I wish I could stay longer but I have to fly home on Memorial Day. I'll grab my ticket from Ticketleap and stay tuned for more info as the game gets closer. Doop! :)

16. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they get enough people for the supporters bus for tomorrow night's game against the Red Bulls?

17. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i believe so.

18. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On nj transit train to Red Bull game now. Anyone know where the bussers will be tailgating? I assume near gate c , any detail would help