2014 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MLSinCleveland, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  3. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Based on Mix's performance against Colombia I'll take Higuain every time. Without Pipa, this team has no magic. We have hard workers, hustlers and even guys that can score goals. But, we all know that any contender has to have that ability to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat. First Schelotto, now Higuain. I think Berhalter would be stupid to let him go. Pipa wants to win. He's a competitor. Give him someone to work with and I'm sure we'll see his smile again.
    I would take mix in a support role however. As Trapp/Tchani offer almost zero goal scoring. That's why a winger with 29 points only squeezed into the playoffs.

4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wtf - why did it do that? Thanks PO.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Saeid will provide more CM punch. I agree with your assessment on Mix. Not as a direct replacement for Pipa, but certainly as a boost for CM offensive productivity.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, Crew is 15th in the dispersal draft for Chivas, worse than if they'd have just gone reverse order of points.

7. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbia is a bit better than everyday MLS starters. Just a bit.

Lucky Day repped this.
  8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Mix is supposed to be better than 'everyday MLS starters'. I'm just not sold on him. I think he'd be a good signing, but only at the right price. And even then, he's no savior. He would be an upper tier player, but I'm not even sure he'd be elite. People talk about replacing Trapp or Tchani with Mix. It would have to be Trapp honestly. Let's be real, I'm a big Trapp fan, but Tchani was better this year and he gives the midfield the physicality is desperately lacks. Mix and Trapp's passing are similar, so would be be the new Trapp? Unless Pipa goes, I don't want Mix. He's too one dimensional.

9. TRU JDUB

TRU JDUB Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree

Our needs in order

1) another elite or quality Striker under 30 yrs old

2) resign Anor and Meram

3) a good right back similar to what Francis provides on the left

4) some good young CB prospects to learn behind our veterans or just convert Williams and George

10. ablock77

ablock77 Member

May 29, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like the senior team homegrowns will have to be protected. damn.

11. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #3286 NewEnglandClamChowder, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Jardy clarified it's the 1-20 salary cap rostered players, which makes sense. There's no formal definition in the MLS roster rules what "senior team" means (which is what the article mentions), but the only mention seems to point to point to the 20 on-budget players:
    Thanks to our friend @MLSinCleveland, we know that Trapp and Speas aren't part of the 20 on-budget players, but rather are on the "Cap-Exempt Roster" list as the 2 highest-paid HG's. So even if today's article doesn't get "clarified" (ie changed), they'll be protected.

12. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting pretty confused with just a couple players: Lampson and Barson.

Senior Roster Players 1-20:
    1. Williams
    2. Wahl
    3. Viana
    4. Tchani
    5. Parkhurst
    6. Paladini
    7. Pogatetz
    8. Meram
    9. Jimenez
    10. Higuain
    11. Gall
    12. Francis
    13. Finlay
    14. Clark
    15. Arrieta
    ---------Everyone above this line makes over $48,825.00. They're definitely, 100% senior roster players.------
    There are 6 players who make $48,825.00. 5 of them fill out the rest of the senior roster. One of them falls into the off-budget roster. If the Crew knew something like this would happen, it'd make sense that Anor, Schoenfeld, George, and Gehrig take spots 16-19. Which would leave the last spot to fall between Lampson or Barson: one of them should be automatically protected in the draft, while one won't be.

Off-Budget 21-30:
    21. Lampson or Barson (or hypothetically Schoenfeld, Anor, George, or Gehrig)
    22. Trapp (Homegrown signed to something similar to a GA contract)
    23. Speas (same as Trapp)
    24. Stuver
    25. Sweat
    26. Wiet
    27. Baiden
    28. Bedell
    29. Friedman
    30. Walker

zman31 repped this.
  13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have to be on your first HG contract to count as HG. Not sure though.

14. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #3289 NewEnglandClamChowder, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    The 21-30 list is split up with some weird rules, all per the MLS Roster rules: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Specifically it states:
    @MLSinCleveland has a nice breakdown of how it works out for the Crew here: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/2014-season-roster-thread.2001399/page-110#post-31193259

According to his list, Barson and Lampson are both on the 1-20 list, so they'd both be exposed. As far as I can see, the fact that those two are exposed is the extent of how the "change" affects the Crew. Neither will get protected, but personally, I'd be hard-pressed to see either one taken.

Lampson: Neither team will take >1 goalie w/ their 10 picks (especially since NYCFC already has one), and Philly and SKC have better keepers available (whomever is unprotected of Mbohli/McMath/Blake and Kronberg/Greenebaum).

Barson: It's clear that Barson has slid a bit on our defensive depth chart, considering he's behind JW3, Gehrig, and Jimenez at RB and Wahl and Pogatetz at CB. It makes sense that the unprotected one of those 5 would be taken instead (and if we do lose him, it wasn't like he was getting a whole lot of PT)

15. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on that breakdown, why wouldn't we put George on the Senior Roster and either Lampson or Barson on the off-budget roster? They make the same amount and it would protect the one moved off the senior roster.

16. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's a good question. Lampson turned 25 mid-season, so he had to be on the on-budget, but not sure with Barson. I wonder if it was just a guess by @MLSinCleveland or if there are other things we don't know.

17. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only place age comes into play is when a player makes only $36,500 they must be under 25. Nowhere in the rules does it state that age matters with on vs. off-budget players.

18. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only real rule in the expansion drafts is that Columbus Crew SC has to lose the maximum number of players. All other rules can/will be bent in order to ensure the first rule.

Lucky Day repped this.
  19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone posted a graph that showed the Crew Los the most and at the only team to have had one player taken in every draft they've been in.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say for @MLSinCleveland, but when I was doing it, if guys had equal salary, I tended to place the ones who actually played more/made the 18 more/appeared higher on the pecking order on the senior roster. Hence, Barson and Lampson were above George. Wasn't even thinking about expansion draft.

Clearly, as you said, move George up and protect whichever guy we feel better about by moving them into the exempt roster, Lampson or Barson. Personally, I like Barson more than Gehrig, but 3G apparently disagrees. Our RB depth could take a bit of a hit (as Gehrig, Williams, and Barson could all be unprotected). And it depends on how much we like Stuver. Me, I'd protect Lampson, he was pretty solid when called upon.

Any word on the reported rule about getting to protect additional players once a player is selected? Is that true or not?

21. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, in this case there were no guys at equal salary. We have 20 guys at $48,825 or higher (not counting the two highest-paid HGs).

Here's my latest list again for reference.

upload_2014-11-18_1-30-59.png

chr1st repped this.
  22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note: If top 20 is based on guaranteed money, then Gall is in the 20 and one of the $48,825 guys moves down to cap-exempt.

23. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    MLSinCleveland repped this.
  24. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    So... can we still put the players we decline options on into the expansion draft? I assume the contracts run until Dec 31st, so we should be able to.

If so, that's seven players that are likely unprotected.

25. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those 7 were going to be close to protected regardless.