2014 Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Terry have swedish background?

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Terry is versatile enough to help other than at forward.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Remember when Sundhage threatened the Swedish NT that she was going to bring in a big American striker. That was Terry. I believe she has played for the Swedish U23s.

4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Swedish mum, dual citizenship and played three games for the Swedish U23 . But as far as I can tell never actually lived in Sweden.

5. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Terry did not look very good in the Thorns game against the Reign. Of course, neither did any of the other Thorns. And, Terry had not yet practiced with the team so she went in "cold."

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle Reign place Carmelina Moscato on season-ending disabled list, sign former Houston Dash defender Holly Hein.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Good move, lose a defender, sign a defender. Interesting that she was not picked up by other teams that clearly need defensive help.
    Though it's interesting that Frisbie wasn't placed on the DL as well. Harvey must think she may recover in time for the playoffs, or not.

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ............... a concept Paul Riley has trouble grasping.

kernel_thai repped this.
  9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. That came out of nowhere.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Maybe Riley should sign her since he's looking for some toughness on his team

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow. Sitchy cut. I'm sure they did it with much sadness. I talked to her dad at almost every game.
    She marked the other team's most potent midfielder and stayed with her like sh_t on stink, like white on rice, followed her to the bathroom, you get the idea. She was a big reason the Red Stars defeated Seattle this year. I compared her to Jen Buzckowski (another Chicago native).

I hope someone picks her up. She has grit and toughness and doesn't back off of any 50/50 balls.

If Portland wants a kid that can come in and be an example of toughness, yes, Julianne Sitch is their girl.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Drag out soap box

NWSL should take a cue from MLBaseball and expand the rosters a bit on August 1st. They should keep the no trade deadline but just kick the roster size up to 23. Why? Well, financially speaking ur only talking about paying a couple players for one month so it's not a lot of money. Also, teams wouldnt be required to expand their rosters they just get the option. What do they gain? Well u dont have situations like Sitch where players r coming off injured reserve and u have to cut a player who has been with u the whole campaign. Secondly, u could bring up a couple players from ur reserve team and give them an actual look. This is especially valuable for teams out of the playoff race who r already thinking about next year.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    On the flip side, playoff teams can use this rule to hire mercenaries just for the playoff month.

I think if a roster size is going to increase, it should apply for the entire year and not just the last month.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rory Dames ‏@dames_rory 30m
    Incredibly difficult decision to make. I do not believe @sitch38 has played her last game yet for the club..absolute professional!!

It sounds like this move was solely done to get to the roster limit and not because the Red Stars were dissatisfied with Sitch.

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually wondered whether that is in the works. Portland has 22 players on their roster, but two are identified as "inactive" -- Tarr and Niemic, both of whom I believe are done for the season. I don't know what that means for roster purposes or whether there are any "special" NWSL rules for teams losing players for the season.

I know the trade deadline has passed, but can when a players is released I assume she becomes a free agent. Can teams hire free agents still?

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    nope.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If that was ur concern u could follow baseballs lead in that as well and have teams designate a 20 player playoff roster. i dont see teams being able to bring in a significant player in August. I mean if u had a big player waiting in the wings why wait until the last few games to roll them out?

20. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    From the NWSL rules:
    Again from the NWSL rules:
    The roster freeze was July 31st. So they can not add any new players at this time.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Of course there are big players waiting in the wings. What is stopping teams from signing players from Germany, France, Sweden that are currently on a break from playing in the NWSL for a month. Believe me, there are quite a few that might even do it for free as it will be a nice way to vacation in the US while also getting in some training. The last think we need in this league is for it to turn into a league of mecenaries.

Also, having a designated playoff roster won't work either. Part of being the best team is managing your players and squad rotation. If teams could have a designated play off roster, what is stopping them from than signing a bunch of other free agents to play after a playoff berth have been clinch. That would essentially be like Seattle right now signing a bunch of free agents and throwing them out there to play while the majority of their starters take a break for 2 or 3 weeks until the start of the playoffs. I do not think that's fair.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK...uve talked Lena Goessling into playing for ur team and Wolfsburg will allow it. Why do u need any additional roster spots to do that? U'll simply cut the last midfielder on ur bench and replace her with one of the best midfielders in the world. Of course they do have transfer windows so ud have to do it at certain times.

This is how it would work, again based on the MLB model. Teams have until July 31 to set their post season roster. Then on August 1st their roster expands to 23 players giving them three extra roster spots if they want them. Because the playoff roster is already set, none of these extra player would be eligible for the playoffs.

23. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    That would be positive..... or better yet allow them to roster their own amateur players that have been with them all year.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going the other way, MLB has their Rule 7.13, which covers DORSO.

:D

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    ie A 50/50 ball?