2014 Offseason Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Leroux is a professional athlete and the clock is always ticking on her career. If she wants to remain a pro she needs to consider situations that help her career and increase her value cause when the clock stops she has the rest of her life to live where she wants and do what she wants. In WNY she is the star of the show and the first goal scoring option. In Seattle she was option 3 or 4 and her stats showed it. Now she was learning to play a more complete game there so that was a plus but it wasnt inceasing her stock any. Im not even sure what KC would have done with her if they got her. Was A-Rod going the other way? Not much of a reward for her after the season she gave them last year. Would they move Hagan who is available all season? Could A-Rod, Leroux and Hagan exist together.

Myrtle repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I don't think it's all of what's going on, maybe some of this simply is some trash talking from Leroux. If you take it in that light, it's actually pretty funny.

holden repped this.
  3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I don't think calling a team unprofessional is trash talking. Especially an organization like Seattle which haven't shown us any reason to think so. As I said, the being mad stuff is understandable and athlete's do it all the time and use that to fuel their play.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like KC is very similar to Cincy, but with better weather.

CoachJon and Myrtle repped this.
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1231 MRAD12, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    How dare she not want to play for the Great Laura Harvey? You don't leave Laura Harvey, she leaves you.

My guess from the stories, comments coming out, on the Leroux / Seattle thing is that Leroux went to Harvey and kindly told her she would love to be with her husband (they are newlyweds!) and if a trade was possible to FCKC that would be great, if not she would be happy to play for Seattle. Harvey on the other hand may have got offended and with her ego hurt didn't really understand what Sydney was saying to her and just traded her to anyone that would take her for a decent deal. In the article below, it says "several" coaches were contact about Leroux's trade availablility.

So, IMO, instead of saying to Sydney, you know young lady, we have tried to talk to FCKC about your case but can't come to an agreement with them that would be beneficial for both teams, so we would love for you to stay with us till the end of the season and then we will see what we can do for you. That's what they should have done, in my opinion.
    But no. I take it as Reign brass or Harvey herself got offended and pretty much said, the heck with you, you don't want to be here, we will trade you to the first team that can give us some sort of acceptable deal.

From reading the blogs, comments, articles, this is my take (guess) and opinion on it this situation.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/04/10/sydney-leroux-trade-kansas-city-trade-request-prompted-wny/

holden repped this.
  7. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #1232 Myrtle, Apr 10, 2015
    That pic is LaBonita...Ha. Edit: I see that the whole image didn't transfer. My bad.

But good question...When did DeCesare leave? If Bell or Hustead haven't addressed it, you know the club hasn't. Good for her though, she looked decent in the preseason game I saw.

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leroux never said she didn't want to play with Harvey.. Quite the opposite, actually.

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well the story continues ...

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1235 MRAD12, Apr 10, 2015
    I'm being a little sarcastic there. Because as we remember last season, Harvey got a name for herself for making numerous trades.

11. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I hate passive aggressive tweets.

Yes most of us understand that not all the facts are known. She can be upset, but I disagree with the "unprofessional" comment she made about the Seattle Reign. She was in a good situation in Seattle, and she knew it... I'm not knocking her for wanting to be with Dwyer but any fool can see...KC isn't a good fit soccer-wise and with their current roster. It was better for her to either stay in Seattle or honestly, I think WNY will be good for her. She asked for too much too soon.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, now I'm thinking Syd may be trying to elevate her brand to a higher level. She's turning a little into the bad girl, which maybe isn't such a bad idea since the good girl spot seems to be occupied. I'm not sure I like her brand, but she's getting lots of attention.

And, if there's more in the book than the cover, she shouldn't complain about people going on the cover. She knows what's in the book and apparently is choosing not to disclose it. That's on her, not on those who are going on what's been publicly released.

Myrtle repped this.
  13. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I thought that spot was already occupied as well.

14. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last I will comment on the Leroux thing. After 2013 KC was in the market for a forward...Syd was in Boston and Boston wanted Mewis who was in KC. I'm sure a trade could have been worked out then, but Leroux was dead-set on Seattle. Fast forward KC is no longer in need of an offensive player, let alone another gone for WWC when there defense is paper thin.

Timing is everything. Leroux could be in KC right now. But forced a move to Seattle in 2014. I just don't feel that sorry for her I guess when a team doesn't bend to her year to year whims.

OK that might be harsh, but still.

kernel_thai repped this.
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, how ironic was that? The old LeMew switcheroo.

16. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    If every coach did that, there would be some teams that don't have any players left. This is professional sports. You are going to get players who do not want to play where they are. That's a fact. It happens in every professional sport. Good managers get the best out of their players whether the player wants to be there or not.

Yes, Leroux does... ;)

Not really, if Leroux had only gotten her first no, then she'd still be with the Reign. This is the equivalent of a kid asking to go to camp, the parent saying yes, and then dropping them off at their grandparents house telling them they are going to living there from now on because they clearly don't want to live at home anymore.

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    My understanding of that trade is that it wasn't until KC traded Mewis to Seattle, that Boston got involved. I don't think Leroux forced the trade so much as people like to believe. Boston knew she wanted to be in Seattle and they wanted Mewis. It was a perfect opportunity. If Mewis hadn't been traded to Seattle, I just don't see Boston initiating a trade of LeMew.

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    By first no I'm refering o her asking Boston to move her so she can be close to her mom. She obviously saw how smooth that went and how nice it worked out for her so she thought, hey, it's 1 month before the start of the season, I have a break before the next WNT camp, why not hang out in KC and call my coach and let her know that if the opportunity presents itself ONE MONTH before season starts I won't mind playing in KC but if she can't make it happen, no problem.
    Now tell me if you are Harvey how will you react to this especially given the fact that Syd actually doesn't have a contract with Seattle and could easily decide hey, maybe I'll do the same thing my close friend Wambach did and not turn up after the world cup. Harvey and co must have thought we better offload her now and get ANYTHING.

19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    *cough*website*cough* Sorry, something's stuck in my throat. What were you saying?

BlueCrimson repped this.
  20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Also, Leroux mentions she was blindsided by this but what about Seattle who thought they had a forward they could depend on in the coming season only to hear one month before season that she wants to be traded.

I'm sure if Leroux wasn't a child and had thought more about this at the start of the offseason, she would have most likely being in KC. But from where I'm sitting, you have a player who meets, dates and marries a guy in the space of 6 month and now wants teams to bend to these whims. This was not a good situation and would only have gotten worse

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ok I'll give you that one and I should have known you'll go there

holden repped this.
  22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I would try to trade her to where she wants to go. But I would not be willing to lose on that trade. If I can't make that trade happen, then I call Leroux and tell her that I can't make the trade happen, but would love to have her commit to play with us for the season. If Leroux says, "Yes, I will play for you." I take her word at it. If she says, "No, I will not play for you. I would rather sit out like Wambach." Then, yes, I would trade her to whoever would take her for whatever I would get.

Here's the reason Leroux thinks it's unprofessional: She never got that call asking whether she would commit to stay in Seattle. She only got a call that she had been traded to WNY.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Here's the thing... if she wanted to be in KC so badly that she wouldn't play in Seattle... why is she now playing in WNY? Wouldn't she just sit out the season like Wambach? She made no guarantee to WNY that she would play for them.

People seem to think Leroux had this "You're going to trade me to KC or I'm not gonna play for Seattle" mentality, when it really doesn't seem to be the case.

So I wouldn't say Seattle is blindsided at all. They could still have her as a forward if they wanted. They are the ones who chose not to, though.

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As fascinating as this conversation is, since the season starts today, it might be time to close the thread. What say you, Blaze?

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    But that is the point though. She might say yeah I'm committed to you but the mere fact that she requests a trade 1 month before the season really says something else. No player who is committed to a team will be thinking of playing somewhere else so much that they approach a coach that late in the process. It just seems to me that she didn't think this through and probably thought she could wake up one morning and role the dice and she what happens.

Would it have been so terrible to wait for after this season and just let Seattle know that she wants to be traded and I'm sure at that point they could have worked out a desired location.