2014 Offseason Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True that Dom Dwyer is not in the same profile status category as Leroux but Leroux's profile is hardly Dempsey status either. I still don't think that Leroux has a right to cry victim here. She tried to force her will on her team and the team forced their will on her instead.

Myrtle repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, arguably no USWNT member has Dempsey status... But I chose him because he is a striker that wears #2 for a Seattle soccer team (I didn't think it was that difficult to figure out).

And that's where you're projecting... She doesn't have the power to force anything. All she can do is ask.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Right, she isnt Wambach. ;)

JanBalk repped this.
  4. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Even Wambach couldn't force a trade.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Didnt Magicjack pay a transfer fee for a player a few years ago ? Why didnt KC do the same for Leroux instead of trading or failing to trade...

6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It's against the NWSL rules:

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This is just bizzare. That would have solved her problem quickly and simply.

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The salary cap prevents moves like that.

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Fair enough, that's a good reason. Financial stability is crucial.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'm I wrong in assuming most American sports do not allow transfer fees between clubs? So this is not bizarre at all

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My read of that is not that she was given an option to do that - the article hypes her up a bit as "an established veteran superstar" and makes her out to have the kind of clout Wambach does, suggesting she could have unilaterally made the decision to sit out like Wambach did. All of her quotes in the latter part of that article sound like she was prompted by the journos to talk about the possibility.

13. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I agree with this. As a SKC fan, Dwyer isn't on Dempsey's level but as much as people claim Besler / Zusi are the face of the team, Dwyer is marketed the most IMO. He has a very public persona whereas the others are more reserved and quite. This makes Dwyer quite important to the MLS as the face of a top tier team. He has enough pull to get himself a big, long-term contract at least.

But as a coach, if a player came to me essentially saying "your team is my 2nd choice." (as Leroux did) I'd try and trade them too. It's hard enough to get quality players in this league when they play for very little money and little chance to make it to the NT. Even if there is more to this story of which Leroux/Reign is not saying I don't think the club was being unprofessional. It's unprofessional to not deal with the consequences of telling a team you are their 2nd choice. Especially if you aren't unhappy where you are at.

I coach a below average high school team...and if a player told me that...although I couldn't trade them...they'd certainly be seeing a lot of the bench.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't doubt Laura Harvey has an ego herself. Maybe she didn't take rejection very well.

I'm not a big Leroux fan but I hope she scores a couple goals against Seattle.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Could be...I doubt it was ever a consideration for Lloyd. She strikes me as the type who kicks the ball around her yard when she isnt with a team.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I can see Harvey not taking it well tho. She is trying to build a winning culture in Seattle that requires the players to buy in. It's a top team and a nice place to live not to mention the money for Leroux is the same wherever she plays in the league. That Seattle was Leroux' second choice may not have been good enough for Harvey.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    There you have your answer. Hopefully all sides can move on
    http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/04/10/sydney-leroux-trade-kansas-city-trade-request-prompted-wny/

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLB used to allow players to be bought and sold for just cash in their earlier days. And even now some deals include cash to pay for salaries or other considerations. But outright buying players is a no-no.

19. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I figured as much. Like i've already posted, pretty sure there are many high-profile NWSL players that aren't even getting to play in their 2nd choice NWSL city but are still making the best of their situations. If I were Harvey i'd be mad too. And now Leroux isn't playing in her 1st or 2nd place city....

I don't hate Leroux, but this situation seems a little to diva from my liking. She is rubbing me the wrong way right now for sure.

Honestly does anyone really WANT to play in KC? Put coaching aside, and our stars would be requesting trades left and right. Brunn perhaps being from STL?

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been to KC. Is it that bad a place to live that the coaching and the system are the only draws they have?

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm on Leroux's side on this one.

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, who are you and what have you done with MRAD? ;):p

Myrtle repped this.
  23. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've lived in KC all my life. It's not "bad." It's cheap, clean, good sports culture, nice people. But i'm also not naive in enough to say it competes with the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest, the historical significance of Boston and D.C, or the amount of stuff to do in Chicago/Jersey.

It's probably comparable (ish) to WNY but with better weather and sports (this coming from a KC homer). And Houston I just don't know enough about to make an educated judgement....I'd assume proxemity to the ocean would draw some players though.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Same way I'm feeling about this, which is why I think she really should have just suck it up and turn up for WNY and do the best she can.

Somewhere along the way, she misread the situation or over estimated her relevance to Seattle.

I think my estimation of Harvey went up because she is prepared to ship a "star" player out and accept "weaker" options if they are not committed to the team. In the long run that is the right way to build a club. You don't want any player to think they are indispensable.

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Strange given you are the one complaining about USWNT having too much sway on things. Leroux just found out that she was dispensable and got an introduction to the real world.

Keep in mind that after her first season as a rookie, she asked to be traded and was accommodated. She pulled the same stunt again this year and it back fired. There are people in this league who are not even in the national team picture that have played in undesirable locations for all their career making less than minimum wage. I can't find it in myself to be sorry for someone with Leroux's history. At some point kids have to be told no and Leroux just got her first no.

Myrtle repped this.