2014 New York Yankees

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by riverplate, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who cares if he is a womanizer??? When did being a womanizer become a bad thing? He was rich, young single and the SS for the NYY try to get all the chicks he could no problem. Historical he is certainly overrated and this farewell tour is a joke but tbh he is the only true recognizable star MLB has so they are going to pimp him out for as long as they can rest applies to the Yankees as well.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My issue has to do with how the media makes Jeter out to be such a great role model and it's not factual at all.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's never been accused of hitting a woman or even speaking harshly to one. AFAIK, he has no children out of wedlock. I don't recall reading or hearing that he's been arrested for anything. He's pissed clean at each test, unless MLB doesn't tell.

The guy is not married, has not found that woman he wants to have a relationship with yet, but apparently you think he should be married or at least monogamous when it's clear he has the option not to. Why?

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he is a phony. He carefully protects his image to the point that it is clear that what is presented is not the truth. Then people buy that image as his being this wonderful role model when there are aspects of his behavior that are not exemplary.

Jeter is entitled to live his life as he so chooses, just don't market yourself as a saint when you aren't one.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    One of the things I really like about Baseball (as a Brit) is the focus on history that pervades the game but the level to which the Jeter stuff has been taken is incredible.

Maybe I'm wrong but is he commonly regarded as a top-30 hitter of all-time even? In comparison in football almost nothing is made of a major player's last season or last home game.

It just seems to be going way beyond what is normal.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I see your point, but when Jeter did a rehab in Scranton last year, he was incredibly accessible to fans, posing for pictures, signing autographs, etc. His stint was entirely different from the other big stints of 2013 (Curtis Granderson,, A-Rod). Again, not saying he ISN'T a hypocrite, and thankfully, I haven't seen that Gatorade commercial. But he let one of my wife's students take a pic with him in his limo, and the kid thought it was pretty cool. Now, maybe she's a media whore for giving it to the local paper and contributing to Jeter's bogus image, but he came across as pretty accessible, by contemporary standards.

[​IMG]

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If he was wrapping up a similar career with, say, the Texas Rangers or the Kansas City Royals, it would be playing out a lot differently. If he'd spent a career as, say a St. Louis Cardinal, the team would be making a big deal out of it (as they did when Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith was retiring), but ESPN would not likely be tracking ever at bat in his final home game) .

Jeter being from New York is what makes this different. It's way beyond normal... but not for New York.

Auriaprottu and comme repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is there something you know about Jeter that the rest of us don't? I mean, I'm not the baseball expert or even really a big fan (tho I do like the Braves), so that's very possible.

If not, and all this is about him getting more sex than you do (and without having to get married to do it) I'd like to respond with part of the same post you responded to but didn't.

He's never been accused of hitting a woman or even speaking harshly to one. AFAIK, he has no children out of wedlock. The women he's slept with have nothing bad to say about him (and his autographed memorabilia is/will be worth much more than what they'd get if they were "professionals") He's not married, has not found that woman he wants to have a relationship with yet, but apparently you think he should be married or at least monogamous when it's clear he has the option not to. Why? You can't go to a bar, Alberto, and leave with some different beauty every other night. You don't need his example to not do what he's currently doing, because you're not him.

You should quit hating.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has nothing to do with jealousy or envy. I am not jealous or envious and I have no issues with dating or having women attracted to me either. It's just the reverence that's paid to the guy and the traits that are attributed to him that really are more reflective of one's personal life than one's play in a sport. You want to say he has great work habits, has played the position of short stop in a way that helped the organization win and that he has represented the team in a completely professionally manner. Great, I have no problem with that. I do have problems when platitudes are thrown about like greatest Yankee ever, what a great guy he is, how wonderful a person he is. That is where all this praise should stop. It's too over the top.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Then why did you mention his success with women in your first para?

That's pretty much all I've ever heard about him, but I don't live in the NYC metro area.

What other Yankees in the full talent era eclipse him? Not a scholar of the game- that was a serious question.

But I just looked at a list of retired Yankee numbers. Ruth, Gehrig and DiMaggio played the bulk or the entirety of their careers before MLB was representative of all baseball's talent, so advantage goes to Jeter for having played against better opposition. Reggie Jackson's career is split between NYC and Oakland. Is Jeter not comparable to Mantle, Maris, Guidry, that bunch?

You're gonna have a stroke when Peyton Manning gets his retirement tour.

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #236 riverplate, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Certainly not.

Forget about the rest of baseball, Jeter is behind plenty of historic Yankees players in that regard. He could not hit like Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio or Mantle. I would take Mattingly in his prime over Jeter. And for intensity, Munson would give him a run for his money. Thurman was surly and gruff -- almost the complete opposite of Jeter's image -- but I don't think there's any Yankee who hated to lose more.

See my statement above. People saying that have no sense of Yankee history or are fools. But everybody likes to think they are living in the greatest age ever.

And Bernie Williams was just as responsible for the Yankees recent dynasty as Jeter. Perhaps more so. I get bitter when I hear the phrase "Core Four" -- because Bernie should not be left out. It was a "Core Five" if anything.

comme repped this.
  12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I hope Derek sends a dozen roses to David Robertson for blowing that save last night. :D

Jeter says he'll not play shortstop again but is available for DH duty in Boston.

vs. Baltimore Orioles
    (95-64) at Yankee Stadium
    Yankees 5, Orioles 0 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340922110
    Orioles 5, Yankees 4 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340923110
    Orioles 9, Yankees 5 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340924110
    Yankees 6, Orioles 5 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340925110
    vs. Boston Red Sox (70-89) at Fenway Park
    Fri.- Chris Capuano (2-4, 4.67) vs. Steven Wright (0-0, 3.38); 7:10 on WWOR
    Sat.- Masahiro Tanaka (13-4, 2.47) vs. Joe Kelly (5-4, 4.15); 1:05 on FOX
    Sun.- Michael Pineda (4-5, 1.93) vs. Clay Buchholz (8-9, 5.29); 1:35 on YES, TBS
    End of Regular Season
    (all times Eastern)
    A.L. East:
    Baltimore: 95-63, .597
    New York: 82-77, .516 (13)
    Toronto: 81-78, .513 (14)
    Tampa Bay: 76-83, .478 (19)
    Boston: 70-89, .440 (25)
    A.L. Wild Card:
    Kansas City: 87-72, .547 --
    Oakland: 86-73, .541 --
    Seattle: 84-75, .528 (2)
    Cleveland: 83-76, .522 (3)

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #238 Alberto, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Because morality counts for something. It is reflective of one's character. People ripped A-Rod for his womanizing and Jeter is no different than A-Rod, he was just much more secretive about who he was seeing.

Don't forget Mantle. He played his career after Robinson integrated baseball.

Jeter in some respects has great numbers because he is a compiler. He played 20 seasons injury free except the previous two seasons to his last. I give you that he hit .309 lifetime, but he never won an MVP. Bernie Williams had a comparable career. Bernie had more home runs and more runs batted in per 162 games. But, when talking about the Yankees you have to factor in the pre-integration legends in Monument Park. They are the ones everyone is comparing Jeter too and he does not stand with those guys.

Mickey Mantle averaged 36 home runs, 102 runs batted in and batted .298 per 162 games.

DiMaggio averaged 34 home runs, 143 runs batted in and batted .325
    per 162 games.

Lou Gehrig averaged 37 home runs, 149 runs batted in and batted .340
    per 162 games.

Babe Ruth averaged 46 home runs, 143 runs batted in and batted .342
    per 162 games.

Jeter doesn't belong in Monument Park. He pales in comparison to the accomplishments of these players. Mariano does however. Mariano is the one of a kind player who did as much to win the Yankees those five titles. His records are off the charts and he did it doing the toughest job in baseball. There are perhaps only three or four other relievers have had similar long and successful careers, but they pale compared to Rivera.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good looking dude, lots of money... I see no reason anyone should expect A-Rod to spend his life with his dick in his hand because he ain't got that one woman. If he'd had a steady girl, the same folks would be ripping on him for not being married to her.

I'd have the same question for people who ripped on A-Rod for his success with women. There's just no reason for it. The guys who do this are either losers or they're so whipped that they've started parroting the wife's opinions on playas. Same goes for an attractive single woman. She can do what she wants to do, long as she gets the job done on game day.

I mentioned Mantle.

The haters had the same to say about Warren Moon.

Never did understand the obsession with the heroes of a league with way less overall talent. I'm sure Hank Aaron would have loved to play against the guys Ruth hit homers off of. 800 runs? 850?

I get that.

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mi hermano you still aren't getting my drift. It's the hypocrisy of tearing A-Rod while revering Jeter. They both did the same thing. Only difference was Jeter was sneaky and secretive about it. A-Rod did it out in the open.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I get that. I'm saying no one should have been commenting on either player. We spend waaay too muc time obsessing over the minute, unimportant stuff. I care that Donald Sterling is a bigot. I don't care who he cheats on his wife with. Perspective and priorities, bro.

Jeter wasn't "sneaky and secretive", as you describe it- why does he need to have a spotlight shown on him and his dates? Why is it anyone's business who he's sleeping with on the given night? He certainly wasn't very good at being sneaky, if you and I know about his women.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just thought about something. So Jeter's out in New York doing whatever by himself and maybe people come up to him, maybe they don't. But when he's with this woman, and he knows that she probably isn't interested in watching Derek Jeter be DEREK JETER! with the press or a bunch of fans. He certainly knows she isn't used to the kind of attention he gets and might not be comfy. So he gives her as much of his undivided attention that day/night as he can. I mean, he's not going to see her again, she knows it, but for that time, he's all hers. Aaaaand this is the kind of thing that makes women say good shit (or nothing) about him afterward.

You call it "sneaking". I call it "Doing what (along with wealth and fame) allows women to feel comfortable sleeping with me, remembering me fondly and not needing for the relationship to go further".

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did he ever ask to be a role model? Or are you ascribing that title to him. What has he done that makes him a bad human being? What he decides to do or do in the bedroom is none of your business. You sound like a high on your horse moralizer.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Oh dear, just stop! If you're gonna eat-up the hype like that, at least close your mouth when you chew.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never ascribed him any qualities beyond a baseball player. Turn on any local NYC broadcast as well as national broadcasts and they are the ones painting him with these qualities.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But you've attached negatives to him that I think most of us would jump at the chance to experience. His dating habits don't make him a bad guy. He's not misleading anyone, and not making any promises he can't keep.

Waliatiger repped this.
  22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #247 riverplate, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    What the hell happened today? Yankees slaughtered in Beantown. Jeter 1-for-2, a strikeout and an infield single. Removed in the 5th for a pinch-hitter, much to the displeasure of the fans. Tanaka gave up 7 runs (5 earned) in 1 2/3 innings! He ends the season 13-5 with a 2.77 ERA.

Joe Girardi blew his top before the game...
    Girardi Chided Yanks In Angry Rant - ESPN
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...game-tirade-derek-jeter-yankee-stadium-finale
    vs. Boston Red Sox (71-90) at Fenway Park
    Yankees 3, Red Sox 2 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340926102
    Red Sox 10, Yankees 4 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340927102
    Sun.- Michael Pineda (4-5, 1.93) vs. Clay Buchholz (8-9, 5.29); 1:35 on YES, TBS
    End of Regular Season
    (all times Eastern)
    A.L. East:
    Baltimore: 95-65, .594
    New York: 83-78, .516 (12½)
    Toronto: 82-78, .513 (13)
    Tampa Bay: 76-84, .475 (19)
    Boston: 71-90, .441 (24½)
    A.L. Wild Card:
    Kansas City: 88-72, .550 -- (clinched playoff slot)
    Oakland: 87-73, .544 --
    Seattle: 85-75, .531 (2)

23. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Thank God the season is over. Jeter went 1-for-2 in his last game. He had an RBI single in the 3rd and was pulled for a pinch runner. Party over. Finally.

Michael Pineda had a good final game -- 6 1/3 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 10 strikeouts. He finishes 5-5 with a 1.89 ERA.

vs. Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park
    Yankees 3, Red Sox 2 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340926102
    Red Sox 10, Yankees 4 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340927102
    Yankees 9, Red Sox 5 http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=340928102
    End of Regular Season

Final A.L. East:
    Baltimore: 96-66, .593
    New York: 84-78, .519 (12)
    Toronto: 83-79, .512 (13)
    Tampa Bay: 77-85, .475 (19)
    Boston: 71-91, .438 (25)

BocaFan repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why does every debate with you reduce to race?

Anyway, what matters in that context is the density of talent, not the overall talent. A league with X good players and Y teams, is just as tough to put up good numbers in as a league with 2A good players and 2Y teams.

25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Carlos Beltran had surgery to remove loose pieces and a bone spur from his right elbow today.

Yankees Prep Brian Cashman Deal - ESPN
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...rk-yankees-working-new-contract-brian-cashman