2014 NBA PLAYOFFS

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by EPJr, Apr 17, 2014.

1. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Do you think with the Spurs winning with most foreign players might take the NBA in a different direction with scouting overseas even more and trying to find top basketball talent around the world? Are the spurs an exception or the way that the NBA is going?

Just two questions I was thinking about and was wondering how everybody else felt.

2. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every team has a foreign/international scouts or departments to scour the globe for talent. often international players are 10-12 draft picks in a 60 pick draft. Many international players have to be refined and their skills honed In European professional leagues before coming to the NBA because they are considered "raw" or a " project". Spurs have been on the cutting edge of international scouting. Domestic players will always take paramount over international players because the best players reside stateside but no longer is it taboo or shoveling like when the lakers signed Divac in 1989 we have come a long way since then. I think international players have gotten more prominent because the NBA is truly now a global game behind soccer basketball is arguably the worlds second most played and popular sport worldwide something the NFL or MLB can't say.

JCNapoli17 repped this.
  3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olajuwon was part of Phi Slamma Jamma at Houston, is he not international?

Waliatiger repped this.
  4. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True, Canadian however isn't international we have a Canadian team Toronto had another Vancouver culturally it's America lite unlike Nigeria.

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Nash left Canada for Santa Clara in 1992 and the two Canadian franchises didn't start up until 1995. If the NBA finally expands globally to, say, London, does that mean Luol Deng no longer qualifies as foreign? ;)

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    foreign talent doesn't work in the nba unless they play in the right system

euros suck at iso ball, phil jacksons teams post 93 have had foreign players making an impact and popovics system makes use of unselfish play

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ginobili would disagree. Yes, he's Argentinian, but he played in Europe for large swathes of his career and would be more of a Euro-style player, right?

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ginobilli is not an iso player per say but has the ability to create a shot, he is actually responsible for alot of secondary assists

9. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's playing the FIBA WC, by the way. So i'm guessing that will take some toll of him for his next (and maybe last?) season in the Spurs.

On the other hand, we ********ing love him, and it will be the last battle of our golden generation, and whatever they achieve will be fine, they already have taken the sport to another level in the country.

I'm also excited to see how is the US dream team assembled this year, i'm guessing Leonard and a couple of other young stars on the rising will be added...

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Chris Webber on Carmelo. .
    “If I’m Melo, I’m definitely not going to Chicago, That’s just not the place to go. When D-Rose was healthy, they had terrible offense. Thibodeau is a great, great coach, but offensively you have to have an offensive-minded coach as well, someone who can adapt like a Popovich, who uses talent and not just harps on them that we’re going to play hard every night. Everybody can play hard every night, but can you play with the IQ, can you play with smarts every night?”

dark knight repped this.
  11. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol they ranked in the top 10 in offense I believe the year they made the ECF. Chris Webber lost.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I've been saying the same thing. I agree with cwebb

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    How does DJ Augustine do so well on the Bulls though? If he can, wht cant Melo.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You and I may have seen different things if you thought the offense was intelligent that season.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's probably a decent fit for Melo's iso game. Not sure he makes Chicago a contender though. Healthy Rosé and who knows.

16. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Jalen Rose pointed out that Melo has lost his decisveness from his early days, meaning that he's over-thinking things now. He said it really took away from his game.

17. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He made the most of everybody's skill set in that offense. He did the same this year, the only problem is he had severely limited offensive talent. Yao Ming credited Thibodeau for helping him with his offensive game back in his Houston days.

18. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Or Mike James, or John Lucas, or Nate Robinson, or Kurt Thomas, etc..

benni... repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its funny how all the lebron james club dissapeared like their 'team' in the finals, has there ever been a more annoying fanclub?

Melo will opt out today, i can see him at housten, they like a defensive black hole lol

Arent the bulls after afflolo? He would be nice, i wonder what they can get for boozer?

Rossonero23 repped this.
  20. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They aren't getting anything for Boozer. It's either him+the picks for a sign and traded Melo or he's amnestied. I think Afflalo is plan C to Melo and Love.

21. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Sixers are gonna take on a bunch of terrible contracts with draft picks in the draft

Have so much cap space, enough for 2 max signings and I'm pretty sure Hinkie wants to tank forever lol

thebigman repped this.
  22. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bulls get: Carmelo S&T+Raymond Felton
    76ers get: #16+Sacramento 1st+Mike Dunleavy+Carlos Boozer
    Knicks get: #19+Bulls' unguaranteed contracts+2016 Bulls' 1st

23. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    i could see that, the sixers have all this cap space, and I know the Sixers GM just wants draft picks, they have like 2 first rounders and like... 4? 5? second rounders

any shitty contracts the Bulls have I could see the Sixers taking on, I've been hearing scenarios where we take on Boozer for a first rounder, because if the Bulls get Carmelo they won't have a necessity for the draft pick and the sixers, frankly, need anything they can get lol

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yao Ming can say what he wants but that Bulls team had no offensive plans other than let Rose dribble and chuck a bad shot. Defending that offense as though it doesn't have room for improvement or loling at people who criticize it makes you sound like a homer.

thebigman repped this.
  25. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the playoffs, sure, but IMO that had more with Rose choking and overall inexperience in such a big spotlight for the whole team than anything. In the regular season, the offense worked fine and probably close to maximized its potential based on the talent on the team. Boozer's late season injury was a huge blow to the offense too, giving Rose an even bigger load to carry.