News: 2014 NBA Off season and draft thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by benni..., Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Iggy is a good defender, he's not a player who can impact games off the bench in my opinion with scoring.

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW Klay and Iggy are neck-and-neck last season on Defensive Win Shares and Defensive Rating.

3. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's NBA season and it's back!!!! Opening games are

Orlando @ NO
    Dallas @SA
    Houston @LAL

Rossonero23 and benni... repped this.
  4. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    He never really was a good scorer TBH. That's my point. Him coming off the bench makes no sense IMO and why would you start a younger, poor man's version of Iguodala, if you have the real thing right there.

The thing that was a bit strange last year in the playoffs was that Klay was guarding CP3, and Iggy was on Barnes or Reddick. Why wouldn't you put your best defender on Chris, who is bothered by longer, more athletic defenders? I'm not saying Klay was bad, but they could've done better.

But like you said this is Barnes's make or break year and Klay is playing for a new contract. Is he worth a max contract after last year? Probably not. Will he get one? Probably. I think them not trading Klay for Love will haunt them for a long time.

5. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You definitely give Klay Thompson a max contract. With the cap about to jump big time, Klay on a max contract will be a good deal. If you can get him for less, do it, but otherwise max him out or you'll be paying more for him next year.

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Lol Love to GSW was never going to happen. Love was hellbent on joining The King. What might be interesting is will he go to LAL. Hmmmmmm

7. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Actually no. Before Lebron joined Cleveland, GSW were in prime position to trade for Love. IIRC the trade was Klay and Lee for Love, which in the end the W turned down, because they didn't want to break up the splash bro's. At that point it seemed that Love was really looking forward to finally leaving Minnesotta, but the deal fell through.

And in came Lebron.

8. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Waliatiger repped this.
  9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    He's probably busy dusting off his old Cavs LBJ jersey that he threw away years ago

Hendrixforpope and Rossonero23 repped this.
  10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another reason for having Iggy off the bench in preseason is with Livingston out injured Kerr could try Igoudala as kind of the second unit point forward. I think he actually had a decent number of assists and zero turnovers in this role. Whatever, though, it's preseason and Kerr experimented. Doesn't mean it's happening in the regular season although, again, the best reason for doing so is to get Barnes more playing time. And Iggy is on record saying he doesn't mind coming off the bench.

As far as last year's playoffs, Warriors hung around until five minutes left in Game 7 and the frontcourt of the Clippers took care of business. Didn't matter who was on CP3.

I said all along they should have traded for Love because Klay isn't staying anyway. Klay is going to end up on the Lakers and you can take that to the bank.

11. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Well last year's series had so many issues on both sides that I don't think it realistically showed the potential of both sides. I would've stuck Iggy on CP, which would've left Klay with more energy on the offensive end. T'was a wierd decision by Mark, we'll see how Kerr handles it.

I don't know about that, but any chance you have of trading Klay for Love you do it. You do it and don't even think about it.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wow - they turned that down? That sounds dumb.

Waliatiger, benni... and Rossonero23 repped this.
  13. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    IIRC the deal was Thompson and Lee with either a first round pick or Barnes, but I'm sure the W's fans know more. While I think Klay is probably a top 5 SG in the league, I just don't understand them pulling the trigger on that deal.

Since I'm talking about Love, him Lebron and Kyrie seem on paper to be a better fit than the Miami three. I expect Lebron's rebounding to go down, his assists and scoring to increase slightly. Defensively there are still issues, considering how bad individual defenders these guys are, but I think a Varjeao (if he stays healthy) and Lebron can sway things around. The other big issue is inexperience, considering two of the big three haven't played a single playoff game. The bench stronger than in Miami - though they still lack rim protection.

Any reports on Allen making a decision yet? Simmons said the Clippers are the prime candidates to land him, but I still think it's Cleveland. In any case, if he does end on the Clippers, he said they'll likely trade Jamal Crawford for a wing defender - he had Jeff Green in mind, which IMHO isn't that bad of an idea. I'd do it.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Eh - I support his right to cheer for players as opposed to teams - do we have to keep talking about him?

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And getting rid of Lee seems addition by subtraction.

zohee repped this.
  16. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    David Lee is soon going to be the new Carlos Boozer of the NBA

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The story that was floated around is that it was Lee and Thompson for Love with Love agreeing that he would re-sign for the Warriors. Their was an element in the Warriors' front office that was all for it (presumably GM Bob Myers, himself a former UCLA Bruins basketball player) but that another colleague (presumably Coach Kerr) had enough doubts to quash the whole thing.

So, can we expect some Cavs bandwagoners to show up on this board?

18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah, sorry boss. [emoji51]

Hmm, let's discuss.

Harden, Klay, Manu, Joe Johnson, DeRozan, PG24, Kobe, Ellis... anyone else I'm missing?

Left Wade of intentionally. Not nearly as reliable these days.

19. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    When they make the playoffs and talk about how the most boring offensive scheme (isolation) in basketball history is interesting because of Lebron James running it.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Beal, Derozan, Stephensen.

21. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm a Cavs fan now :cool:

Rossonero23 repped this.
  22. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nah, I don't buy jerseys for American sports teams since I acknowledge that my loyalty to them is fleeting. I consider myself an honorable bandwagoner :D

23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    DeRozan, definitely. Beal is on the way. Not yet though.

I don't really rate Lance as am individual player. The Pacers situation suits him, since he's a wild card with personality, attitude, character and they are missing that.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Not a good start for Parsons. Should've let Ellis take that shot.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    See, coming from Houston, that's the rubbish mentality they preach. Smh...

Kidding Rockets fans., just poking fun.