2014 Gubernatorial Elections

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Germerica, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Next Tuesday, March 18 brings the first primary which could have major ramifications come November. Illinois will hold its primary next week, and a flip in the general election this fall would represent a huge coup for the GOP in the president's home state. Due to the unpopularity of Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn, many insiders believe that the writing is on the wall for Quinn if suburban Chicago businessman Bruce Rauner wins the GOP primary Tuesday.

Another race to keep an eye on is Hawaii, another home state of the president. Former Lieutenant Gov. Duke Aiona (R) was shown to have as much as an 8 point lead on incumbent Neil Abercombie (D) in a recent poll.

I've moved Georgia from likely-R to lean-R in the wake of Gov. Nathan Deal's missteps during the winter storm. However, this will still probably be a tough one for Jimmy Carter's grandson to win.

The GOP currently controls the governorships in 29 states, compared to the Democrats with 21. This is the state of the races for seats that are most likely to flip.

R-held seats:
    South Carolina (Haley) - likely R
    Ohio (Kasich) - likely R

Georgia (Deal) - leans R
    Michigan (Snyder) - leans R
    Wisconsin (Walker) - leans R
    Arizona (open: J. Brewer) - leans R
    Maine (LePage) - leans D
    Florida (Scott) - leans D
    Pennsylvania (Corbett) - likely D

D-held seats:
    Massachusetts (open: D. Patrick) - likely D
    Maryland (open: M. O'Malley) - likely D

Colorado (Hickenlooper) - leans D
    Hawaii (Abercrombie) - toss-up
    Connecticut (Malloy) - toss-up
    Illinois (Quinn) - toss-up
    Arkansas (open: M. Beebe) - toss-up

2. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Rauner wins primary. Will face Quinn in general election.

3. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hawaii surprises me but with such a democratic electorate I see it swinging back to the D's. I know it doesn't interest much people but as a Californian I'm fascinated on who will finish second behind brown in the June primary Neel kashkari or tea party conservative firebrand Tim Donnelley.

4. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
  5. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  6. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Charlie Crist gets called out multiple times by Jorge Ramos...his responses left a little to be desired.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Astorino apparently is getting dissed by the Prez...ya gotta love it

Obama will use his visit in front of the Tappan Zee to highlight the urgency of replenishing the Highway Trust Fund. The administration predicts the fund will become insolvent by the end of the summer and that some projects could be halted or delayed in the coming months.
    Construction is in full swing to replace the 58-year-old Tappan Zee, a $3.9 billion project that has become a signature project for Cuomo during his first term. The Tappan Zee project recently approved for a $1.6 billion federal loan, the largest loan ever awarded under the Transportation Infrastructure and Innovation Act (TIFIA).
    Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's presumed Republican challenger in November's election, said "it's great he is here to talk about adding money for infrastructure repair in this country, especially in New York. We have the highest taxes in New York and we have third-world infrastructure."
    But Astorino has yet to receive an invitation to Wednesday's event in Tarrytown.
    "I'm not sure if this is a political event or a governmental event," Astorino said. "If he is coming to our county the protocol would be for the chief elected official to, at the very least, greet him, but it's totally up to him."

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...5/12/obama-visit-tarrytown-boat-club/8998561/

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This compilation of comments from two of the four participants in the Idaho GOP Gubernatorial Primary Debate is as good as it gets:

Nothing like it this side of a comedy show or a public access channel.

9. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair two of the nominees are eccentric to say the least or off their marbles. The two serious candidates with suits are not in this clip.

10. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Charlie Christ is an opportunist to the highest order. His support for McCain over Romney in the last minute in the 2012 Florida primary when he first committed to Rudy G. His switch from a republican to an independent because Rubio was going to whip him. Then he undermines Meeks in the GE in 2010 splitting the vote letting Rubio to sneak in and win. Then he becomes a democrat to further and keep Alive his political career. Even with all that he is much better the Rick Scott. What puzzled me was as such a popular governor why did he decide not to run or reelection in 2010? Why decide to jump to the senate?

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I know - I work for the State of Idaho so I know the players well. Governor Otter insisted these guys get invited to one of the debates. And so they did, and it was all kinds of awesome.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the wall street backed candidate is ahead in the pols in Rhode Island Democratic Primary.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/...-democratic-primary-110667.html#ixzz3Cjk9YpJj

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #13 Q*bert Jones III, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Andrew Cuomo (Bastard-NY) and his $40 million warchest only managed to get 60% of the Democratic primary vote against an unknown and unfunded challenger named Zephyr Teachout. Cuomo refused to debate, or even acknowledge the existence of Teachout, who was able to galvanize NY progressives with virtually no money (350K for the whole election!) and the antipathy of the Democratic Party establishment.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice moral victory for techaut I guess, like only losing 1 -0 vs. Germany.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yet because NY state is so slavishly democratic Cuomo will still win in a blowout in the GE.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the Illinois Democratic machine hard at work in Illinois.

Nice that may help take away voted from the Republicans, but how about from the left?

http://www.wrex.com/story/26567593/...-on-libertarians-place-on-ballot-for-governor

http://www.wrex.com/story/26567593/...-on-libertarians-place-on-ballot-for-governor

Well played democrats, well played.

17. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I always get a chuckle when I hear the word "Gubernatorial". It reminds me of George Lindsey who played the role of Goober Pyle on the Andy Griffith Show.

[​IMG]

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I know, we're Florida and we're down to who is the least worst of them all. But still, it is surreal...

Smurfquake repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  20. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Good call on reviving this thread. There are still plenty of really interesting races, not the least of which are centering on New England. Democrats are flying the president in to try to hold onto governorships in Connecticut and now RHODE ISLAND of all places. And Democrats in MA may have gifted the Republicans Deval Patrick’s seat by nominating a perennially awful candidate affectionately known as Martha “Chokeley”. We also have a fascinating three-way race in Maine that still looks to be a true toss-up.

Alaska looks likely to go to the independent challenger, and we have seen a stunning rebound for the extremely unpopular Democratic incumbent in Illinois, who now has a chance to hold onto his seat. We finally get to replace Jan Brewer in Arizona (albeit likely with another Republican), Scott Walker will probably survive again in Wisconsin, and even Sam Brownback has a fighter’s chance heading into Election Day. Florida and Georgia are still toss-ups, but if I had to guess I’d go with Crist beating Scott and Nathan Deal holding on against the grandson of Jimmy Carter.

21. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No mention of Corbett in Pennsylvania? Or my favorite Neel Kashkari of CA a nominee nobody knows and his party and base is running away from in droves. You know the guy who went homeless for a week in Fresno.

22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Pennsylvania and California aren't competitive.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can Walker win again??? If he loses his hopes for 2016 are dashed and his political career is dead. If he wins he is a real contender.

25. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Scott, a Walker and Synder wins!!! The left has been crushed by these dudes.