2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by jonny63, Apr 26, 2011.

1. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    guatemala are improving a lot but it would be a miracle for them to finish ahead of jamaica.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://rsssf.com/tablesg/guat-intres.html has results through August 3, 2008 and Guatemala has the following amount of losses to Caribbean teams in any competition at any site:

1 vs. Cuba
    4 vs. Haiti
    8 vs. Jamaica
    2 vs. Netherlands Antilles (now Curacao)
    6 vs. Trinidad and Tobago

21 of Guatemala's 152 losses during that time were against Caribbean teams.

The only home WCQ losses out of those for Guatemala were:

March 14, 1957 vs. Netherlands Antilles
    August 20, 1989 vs. Trinidad and Tobago

3. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    This is what happened to them:

[​IMG]

It's easy to get to the WC when daddy Warner is paying off refs. Well Warner is gone now, so that's that.

4. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Antigua and Guyana should give you an example of how things happen in WCQ. Guyana had NEVER won against T&T and I'm sure thats also true for Antigua vs. Haiti.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    tt didnt even come close to gold cup...they hired this german guy and paid him big $ and he didnt do anything either...does paying a coach big $ really make a difference?

6. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Sorry but Jamaica the current Caribbean Cup champion is a tier above those four teams. Chances are Guyana and Antigua are going to get killed in the next round. Sure they beat favorites T&T and Haiti in their respective groups' standings, but not by much. I watched the Antigua - Haiti game and I can tell you it was a fluke. Further, Haiti and T&T are shadows of the teams they once were. And I expect T&T to continue to leave early in future WCQ campaigns without Warner's influence.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    How do u know Guyana and Antigua will not recieve new players and make serious changes for the semi final round. I honestly think Guatemala is just as bad as Nicaragua to be honest. Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica are the strongest in Central America. El Salvador didnt play that great either in qualifying.....Guatemala struggled against a Belize side that was weak. El Salvador struggled against their teams as well if you watched the games closely....Its just that the teams they played against werent as conditioned so thats why they won with high scores

8. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually Guatemala made it to the Gold Cup, while Nicaragua didn't/

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    every central america team makes it except 2...so come on be realistic

10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

El Salvador didn't play great but thats because most of our players will play down to our competition they play very differently when they face Costa Rica. Every time El Salvador is grouped with a Caribbean team the Caribbean team is always picked to finish ahead of us and that may have been true a few WC cycles ago but thats not the case anymore. I remember before the gold cup everyone had Cuba ahead of us. Guyana is the next Grenada they do well against CFU teams but once they play non CFU teams they can't get it done.

The truth is Caribbean teams are being left behind now that T&T has dropped the only Caribbean team good enough to make the hex is Jamaica. Even if Guyana and A&B add players they still have infrastructure issues that won't make it easy to improve their level of play by June.

11. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    That would be great, for the sake of parity in the groups. Have you found out anything on possible additions to the Antiguan team?

The first part I'll take it as a reaction to my saying that Antigua could get killed in the next round. The second part I fully agree with.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011

Heard rumors of guys from epl...but yeah u are right honestly Guatemala has improved alot over years. they gave a good gold cup performance especially against mexico.

Quite honestly after watching the caribbean teams play...they move the ball too slow and the control isnt the greatest but they play with alot of heart.

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I believe Cuba will do the worse. They have been inactive since the gold cup where they did poorly. No friendlies or anything. Any info on them?

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    you don't have any names???

I don't think many EPL players have Antiguan background.

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    which makes it even harder to prepare for them.

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    they do,,,,they mentioned it in an old antigua article. I will try to find it.

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    They are playing afriendly agains Costa Rica in December

18. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The only two people of Antiguan descent in the EPL I know of are Ledley King and Kieron Dyer who have both been capped by England so they can't play. Some players who could be called up are Nathaniel Jarvis (Cardiff, on loan at Newport), Myles Weston (Brentford), and Dexter Blackstock (Nottingham Forest, is just now returned from a knee injury that has kept him out a year). There are a couple of others playing a little bit farther down the Football League and Conference like Moses Ashikodi and Kiernan Hughes-Mason (teammates at Kettering), but those guys and all of these I mentioned are attacking players. They could also get Josh Parker (Oldham) back who has played for them before and has been injured for the past couple of months.

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks! Are they good?

20. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Weston is a very good player for League One, Blackstock is a good Championship-level striker. Jarvis and Hughes-Mason are both very young and playing in the Conference so its hard to judge them, Jarvis might play for Wales instead as well. Ashikodi is also in the Conference where has done OK but from what I can tell he is very temperamental. Of that bunch I'd say Jarvis and Hughes-Mason are the most likely to accept a call up.

Parker is a good player as well and is versatile, I think can play full back or winger. Also a young guy and has a long throw.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think Antigua will look to exploit the Grandparent rule... Search for players whose Grand parent is Antiguan.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before Friday Antigua and Barbuda had one all-time win against Haiti. The countries met twice in qualifying for World Cup 1986. On August 4, 1984 Haiti won 4-0 to pretty much guarantee they would win the aggregate. Antigua and Barbuda won the second leg 2-1 on August 7, 1984. Both of those games were played in Port-au-Prince.

23. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Thanks for researching the statistics.

24. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no they won't. if they would have done it, they would have done it before qualifying started.

The reason why the national team plays well, and above their means is that 90% of the national team plays on 1 CLUB TEAM!!!! These guys play together all the time.

25. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    yeah but half the starters play in england the rest mainly play for baracudas