2014 FIFA World Cup™ Semi-Finals: Netherlands vs Argentina| Wednesday, Jul 9, 4:00 PMET

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by argentine soccer fan, Jul 6, 2014.

?

Who advances to the final?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2014.
  1. Netherlands

46 vote(s)
    50.5%
  2. Argentina

45 vote(s)
    49.5%
  1. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Maybe his ambition was not to concede above all?

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't think so. I think if you looked at all the offensive firepower on the pitch and the fact there was a common belief that defense was the weakness of both teams and no one, not even LVG, could have predicted it would be 0-0 after 120 minutes.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I believe because of what they saw above, both coaches overcompensated with defensive tactics. Add to that Mascherano and Vlaar having sensational matches, and that helps explain the 0-0.

canis, jerrito and VFish repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And I believe for once in your life you are right.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My life is more than 5 minutes long ;)

6. Walitiger2

Walitiger2 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As a supporter of Holland I am thrilled with the results and overall preformance at this World Cup. Tbh I like many other supporters had low expectations or tempered expectations for this WC. I believed the dutch would lose on the round of 16 or perhaps finish third in the group. To make it to the SF is amazing and a great goal. I wasn't sad or upset at all when Argentina won so this loss didn't hurt like the final in 2010 or the SF in 1998 or the SF in euro 2000 did. LVG had a superb coaching performance but the real star for holland was Robben. He was clicking on all cylinders and you seems like his form and speed as improved compared to his 2010 WC form. RVP was a monster in the group stage but really faded in the knockout round. Snjider was nearly invisible all tournament expect for the Mexico goal. I was thrilled by the play of depay and the feynrood defense.

7. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Other than the dolphin dive goal against Spain, I thought RVP was a liability, as he usually is when the chips are down for the Dutch. Very overrated, IMO. KJH isn't much better, but at least his positioning is good and he is ready and able to finish simple chances. RVP couldn't even seem to do that, despite all the opportunities Robben created for him. RVP's reaction after his penalty kick against Brazil, as though he had done something magnificent. Pathetic.

8. Walitiger2

Walitiger2 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think your attitude toward RVP is too harsh. I think late in games especially vs Mexico and Costa Rica he was clearly non existent however in the group stages his play, preformance, positioning and positional awareness were a
    All positives. It's really hard to expect RVP to keep that level of performance up especially in those conditions.