2014 FIFA World Cup™ Semi-Finals: Germany vs Brazil| Tuesday, Jul 8, 3:00 PM

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccerfan93, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Spanky144

Spanky144 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Germany Argentina Final.

2. Spanky144

Spanky144 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    he won't he was moving. relax.

LoewenBoy and jaycrewz repped this.
  3. jaycrewz

jaycrewz Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Loss of best defender and best striker is huge.

I see Germany winning by a goal. Theyre team is just too deep on the bench too. And they are very dangerous in the air on set pieces as they are bigger men. Id like to see Klose finally get that record.

Should be a good game.

Klose_fan repped this.
  4. jaycrewz

jaycrewz Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You underestimate Altidore's finishing ability when playing for country, and his physical hold-up play. By having him upfront and putting Dempsey in the midfield where he belongs, the USMNT plays much differently. Plus Altidore wouldnt miss a sitter like Wondolowski did =P

jerrito repped this.
  5. devotee

devotee New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    #55 devotee, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    Without Neymar and Tiago Silva brazil has no luck against Nationalmanshaft, hahaha!! :laugh::laugh:

6. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And with Altidore the U.S. would make the semi-final? I'm normally more optimistic on the team I think than most though I must say that sounds like something Alexi Lalas would say honestly. And I know that the play differently with Altidore but I'm still not buying it.

Anyway, back on topic. I think what makes this tournament exciting, yet at the same time, frustrating for purists, is that every team left (except interestingly enough Costa Rica imo, who have shown the same every game) has shown different levels of play from one game to the next, so that predicting the result of the next match is very difficult. If Brazil do as they did today, they have a chance, even without Neymar and Thiago Silva. But if they are what they were in the group stage or against Chile, it's hard to see them emerging victorious.

There are 2 factors I think Brazil would have going in their favor even if they appear to be counter-intuitive. With Neymar and Thiago Silva out, the heavy burden of the favorite tag is back on Germany, who didn't do too well with that tag last time they were in a semi at a major tournament (against Italy at Euro 2012). The other factor is Scolari who we've seen, especially back in his Palmeiras days way back, as a master motivator and a coach who makes whatever team he has incredibly tough to beat. He obviously can be beaten, especially against a team with better talent, which would be the case here... though he will make it competitive.

7. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    It is good, the Country Brazil accept the soccer brazil plays in the world cup. I always thought, they accept only beautiful soccer.Dribblings,back heels. It is not the glamour soccer.But brazil fight, they run,they straddle. And the people are happy about every ball win.

France played very well, beautiful long balls,technical good, but harmless. They had few possibilities. But still, I think Germany has played down routine.And they had to much respect. It was not a very good fight. Or better say, it was nearly a friendly match compared to other matches. I think brazil will play much more dirty and aggressive

8. jaycrewz

jaycrewz Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Considering your avatar, and your statements, you dont come off as a supporter or hard follower of the USMNT. The Belgium game could have certainly gone to penalties with the squad the USA had. The game could have been won if Wondo made the tap in...so yes, its very possible a squad with Altidore makes it past Belgium and threatens mightily to make the semi-final by putting up a hard fight against Argentina. Especially considering how down to the wire almost every Argentina games has been.

Altidore is a difference maker not just because of his ability to finish and hold up play for our midfield...he allows Dempsey to play his natural position, and theres also less pressure on Bradley to be a playmaker. The attacking midfield role is not Bradley's forte, as hes more suited for defensive midfield duties IMO...and the forward role Dempsey does ok in, but the team does better with him being our attacking midfielder.

The games havent been lopsided in the knockouts, and most of the games in the group stages were good games too. So

9. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So I can't support more than one national team? I just try to be as objective as I can be. I don't overrate players of the teams I support (I'm flattered if you've looked at other stuff what I've stated, you can see I didn't overrate Barthez despite my being a supporter of France). I watch all the qualifiers the U.S. plays in since they come on ESPN/ESPN3 and I definitely want the team heading in the right direction. I hate Lalas though.

Maybe it isn't that important but my economics teacher back in freshman year of undergrad just happens to be, um, well I shouldn't say it but... trust me pal, even if France were team I grew up rooting for, I'm quite a good supporter of the game in this country.

Pumas111 repped this.
  10. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Reus had a much better season than Muller, especially in the last few months. He was Germany's 'in form' forward. A huge miss

Germany are also missing the Bender twins and Gundogan, all of them first team candidates. Heck, you can even include Badstuber who was Germany's number 1 CB in 2012 but has been injured for a year.
    Furthermore Khedira and Schweinsteiger have had major injuries before the tournament and are still not 100% fit and back to their former selves. Yet the German team never complained and just got on with it

MatthausSammer repped this.
  11. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I think a lot people had that same mentality when we played Argentina in the 07 Copa America final. Germany are favorites but I been around this game far too long to know that the game is decided on the pitch not before.

Guinho, FilipeMB and Tukafo repped this.
  12. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lets pray Germany wins :D

I think Brazil will foul like animals and destroy 1 or 2 players without seeing a yellow card. Just my prediction.

13. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agree. The US were a different team with Altidore leading up to the cup. The bold part was especially important in their tactics and they clearly missed it. No one is saying Altidore is at the level of the others mentioned, but that he was very important to his team.

14. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agreed. These aren't club sides where the bench players can often be of dubious quality. Even the defenders on Brazil's bench are still guys who are top performers in some of the world's best club sides. They're no fools

15. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I don't think that missing T. Silva will result in a loss of quality for this Brazilian team. But losing Neymar is a big issue. He was the catalyst that created most of Brazils chances, either for himself or for others.

In other words: Brazil needs a new game plan. The old one won't work without Neymar. The result is very much open. They may indeed even get better, since if they could potentially be more difficult to read without Neymar.

jerrito repped this.
  16. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I think this is where Brazil loses. Until now they won against Croatia Camerron Chile and Colombia. Germany like Mexico is another letter :ROFLMAO:

LoewenBoy, Deep Pal, Lahmfan and 3 others repped this.
  17. DZfennec

DZfennec Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Of course it's absurd. Like I have said before, respect to USA for showing that fighting spirit in extra time, but over the course of 90 minutes, 4-0 Belgium would not have been a harsh score. Tim Howard was good, but some of the finishing was woeful.

Count your blessings that you made the last 16 (because Ghana should have really won that first match) and further count your blessings that Belgium's shooting boots weren't on because otherwise it would have been an embarrassing score line.

Very respectable tournament by USA, nothing more, and definitely not a case of deserving to or being close to deserving to get through. If Mexico, Chile or Algeria (obv biased on that last team) were missing their best striker with the performances they put in, they could maybe ask the question of what if. Not the US for me who were outclassed in every department and let's be fair, Altidore isn't even that good.

18. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You mean like France yesterday? Guess we have to beat the refs also!

19. FilipeMB

FilipeMB Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    No. This is exactly what is happening with the teams that are playing against Brazil. Let's see what Chile and Colombia did to brazilian players and compare...

20. FilipeMB

FilipeMB Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Perfect. And also don't forget the Scolari is the coach. He loves this situation, he loves to play against all odds.

21. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lots of good points. I'll add my two cents.....
    Watched game yesterday. Small TV, big bar. Tons of German supporters. Was great, going back for this game.
    Even on that TV it was obvious who the ref was for. That guy all over Klose needed a card. Too bad, a good chance for Klose to score. The old man was roughed up quite a bit. Ref proved it at the end with 4 min extra time. 2 was plenty. Well, he gave France every opportunity. Likely to see the same again Tuesday.

Two Brazil guys out? Oh well, part of the game. Need a deep team to win something this big. I thought I heard the goalie Cesar is hurt also. Haven't read anything online. But you know he's playing with a sore leg, bad knee.

Germany has the depth. Will play just like they usually do, France yesterday was better example than their last two though. Semi's four time straight, record. Brazil not beaten on home turf in how long? Sounds like another record for Germany to break.

Germany 2-1 regular time.
    Hoping this is our year! At least be in the final.... I'm getting tired of Bronzes.

FilipeMB repped this.
  22. FilipeMB

FilipeMB Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Indeed. Julio Cesar was injured when he made the penalty for Colomba.
    I bet Brazil win by 2-1. The scenario is perfect for Scolari and Brazil already trained with Willian substituting Neymar. With Luiz Gustavo coming back, things may change in the midfield.

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Speaking of "against all odds": the best odds I found with a quick look was 9/5 for Brazil and 19/10 for Germany. So it would appear as if a Brazil is still slightly ahead with the bookies and hence the betting public.

24. FilipeMB

FilipeMB Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil has the home advantage. Maybe this explain the 0,1 advantage for Brazil. It will be an interesing match. Germany is favourite IMHO but, again, this is exactly the scenario Felipão has always been well-succeeded...

25. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    i suggest two changes in the lineup for Germany

1. Ozil will get kicked to high heavens, he's too small and weak and can't sustain the physicality of this Brazil team. Should be on the bench
    2. Toni Kroos is not an unfair player but has an annoying habit of letting himself get provoked. If the opponent plays unfair then he will retaliate. Prime candidate for a straight red when Hulk jumps into his face.

Germany can't compete physically with Brazil, their players run and fight like lunatics. Germany only have a chance if they take the initative away from Brazil and manage to calm the match down and frustrate them by holding onto the ball. They can also forget intricate passing through the middle, the Brazilian defense will just take them out . Main chance to score is from crosses, headers, corners etc.

It's an outside chance but perhaps they can do it