2014 FIFA World Cup™ Round of 16: United States v. Belgium | Tues, Jul 1

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by starbuk, Jun 26, 2014.

1. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Agreed that luck does play a part. I think Klinsmann should be given a chance to build something.

benztown repped this.
  2. bylbyl

bylbyl Member

May 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    i'm belgian myself , but have been following domestic european leagues, european cups and international tournaments since the early 80's

If the current USA team plays the current Belgium team 10 times it will proabbly result in a victory for belgium 8 out of 10. You can discuss tactics all you want but belgium just has the better players at this moment.

All this comments like " we are more a team than belgium" or "US coaching/tactical play is superior" in the pre match discussion just made me smile. as if belgium doesn't play like a team or teh belgium coaching staff are tactical zeros lol.

I would rank USA somewhere around place 15 in the world. And they are a long way off being a top 5 or even top 10 team.

i would rank england around the same place and for england that is bad enough :)

jerrito repped this.
  3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where were you living in 1978? Here in Southern California, I was unable to find WC TV coverage except Spanish language, which I watched only understanding about 25% 0f what was being said. Obviously that was before Andres Cantor's bursting upon the scene.

4. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Toronto, Canada. I remember watching games with my dad and brother in Italian.

5. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too watched the Spanish language games. And loved them. After a while you really start to pick up a lot. Now I can watch and understand a lot of what is being said, actually, and I have had only one beginners course in Spanish travel language.

jerrito repped this.
  6. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with a lot of your assessment. Belgium is clearly a top 10 team at this point and the USA is somewhere around 15. As an American I don't find this all that bad. Being a Top 15 team is a good thing for this nation at this point in history. Would I like it to be higher? Sure, who wouldn't? But I am realistic.

I actually think that the U.S., if it plays the right lineup and tactically smart, could hang with many of the Top 10 teams in many games, though, trying to squeak out a 0-0 draw or perhaps scoring a shocker late in the match to sneak in a victory. And there is really nothing wrong with trying to win that way. A win is a win. Say, for example, Chris Wondolowski had made that sitter in stoppage time and the U.S. had beaten Belgium. You could argue Belgium is better with the 15 forced saves, but you wouldn't be on here calling out overzealous (perhaps under-educated) USMNT supporters.

I understand why people spend so much time arguing about style and such with soccer. When it's played beautifully it is a marvel to watch. But the bottom line is winning.

jerrito repped this.