2014 FIFA World Cup™ Round of 16: United States v. Belgium | Tues, Jul 1

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by starbuk, Jun 26, 2014.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You have no way of knowing if this is the case:

First, I'm only talking about the Belgium game, so your comments re: the group are non-sequitur.
    Second, is having to make 16 saves and 2 goals against NOT being obliterated by Belgium? Your logic is flawed. How could we possibly have done worse if we started with more than a lone, overmatched Dempsey as our only point of attack?

Karloski repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the culture of this thread and BS in general to disect and be hyper-critical ... let's all put Germany, Ghana, Portugal and Belgium on a pedestal regardless of events on the field.

coachamurton repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US was 30 seconds away from qualifying after 2 games in the Group of Death. Think about that. Do they not deserve respect for their performance at this World Cup? My point is it's pretty ridiculous how so-called US "supporters" give the opposition so much credit ("Germany did the minimum against the US") while conveniently ignoring they also drew Ghana 2-2, as if that was intentional. Pretty sure Portugal didn't plan to lose 4-0 to the Germans or barely draw the Americans.

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ask some here, that would have all been part of Germany's plan.

5. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Really? Haven't noticed, i thought. I just reacted to people addressing me. And I can't resist responding to warped logic.

6. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    No. You make no sense. And you have the audacity to call my logic flawed.
    Again, I spoke about Germany and how easy/difficult they had it in their games. Ghana was a very difficult opponent for Germany. The US were not. Period. What the US and Ghana played in their match against each other and who might have been the better team there had nothing to do with Germany. germany did not take part in the USA-Ghana game.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, it would since they were all part of the same group. What Argentina versus Iran did has no bearing to Germany, for example.

8. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Not one sentence in that post makes any logical sense
    Again you need to understand that in every football game only two teams are on the pitch. Not three or four. I spoke of how Germany played against the USA . The performannce of Ghana in a completely different match is immaterial to that point. Just like the performance of Portugal against Ghana or the US or against Timbuktu is immaterial to that discussion.

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Talking about something that could have actually happened, the German NT didn't share your vision since they played their starters.. unlike Belgium that rested 9 starters on their last group game.

10. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Pipiolo, please don't you start too. Please, this is getting crazy at this point

Again, this started because I pointed out that Germany were never in danger of going out in their match against the USA. That was my point originally. Germany. USA. Match. Against each other. Then somebody replied by saying something about Ghana and how good they are. i never spoke about Ghana

For crying out loud, please guys, read the posts that preceded it

11. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either too too much coffee, or not enough. haven't figure that out yet.

Pipiolo repped this.
  12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, this is not logical but I can't help respond. The US lost to Germany 1-0 and consistently kept the Germans at bay defensively and had opportunities to draw but unfortunately did not take them. However, as slim margin of victory would tell us, they were clearly a difficult opponent for Germany. An example of a "not difficult opponent"? That's Portugal.

13. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes, it coudl have happened but it requires an insane amount of what-ifs

Yes, germany could have lost 0-2. But they won 1-0
    Yes Ghana could have won 3-0. But they lost 1-2

What point is there in that? What does listing totally different and alternative scorelines possible add to any sane discussion?

Cameroon could have beaten Brazil 8-0. Iran could have beaten Argentina 6-0. Well, it's possible, isn't it? And now what? What does listing alternative scorelines prove?

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, agreed. 2 teams on the same field, got it. And 1-0 win means poor finishing, good defending or both. Take your pick, does Germany suck at finishing or is the US good at defending?

15. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Shots on goal for the US zero
    Saves by Manuel Neuer zero
    So the US didn't take their opportunities?

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which game did Neuer make 0 saves? I was talking about the game last week against Germany..the US had 4 shots, 1 on goal, while Germany had 13 and 9 on goal. If we're not giving the US any credit for defending well, I would suggest the Germans must suck at finishing.

17. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Neither, the game wasn't contested all the way through the end because Germany didn't need to do more and the US were content with losing 1-0. The game lost its edge for the same reason the France-Ecuador match lost its competitive edge in the second half or the Belgium-Korea match. In all these matches it became clear to the teams at some point during the second half that there was nothing more realistically to be gained or lost so the teams didn't play it to the wire.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the Brasil v. Mexico match so I can't compare.

Doesn't mean they put in a great performance. Did CR have a great performance? They did win after all.

I expect better reading comprehension from you.

So you are saying that Switzerland should have played this match fairly even? Based on what plethora of outstanding players? That is the point, Argentina has the talent that Switzerland does not. Thus they have a high expectation to excel, not win 1-0 with a goal in the 118th minute.

First rule - win.
    Final rule - win
    Anything in between is extra, and where the expectations are. Personally, I figured that Mexico had a shot at victory. And I thought that we had the possibility of pulling one off. But, by an large, the expectations by the public/media (in general) were that they would win easily, not struggle like they did.

19. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The one shot on goal you're reffering to is a blocked shot, those are listed in some match stats but not in others. Blocked shots are shots on target that never reach the keeper because a defender blocks it on the edge of the box for example. In this case it was a shot near the end of the match that Lahm blocked. Some stats list this as a shot on goal, others don't. In any case Neuer didn't need to save it.

20. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think my reading comprehension is fine.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I don't think that's the case at all. Muller scored in the 55' yet Germany was playing hard to the final whistle. Bradley was putting as much pressure as possible on the back line and it was obvious (to me anyway) Germany wanted to win by more than a goal but weren't able to break down the US defense (or poor finishing if you prefer).

22. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All excellent points. When I moved to the US in the early 90s there was very little interest in the sport except when I went to the ethnic neighborhoods in big cities like New York. Television coverage of the game was very hard to find, and finding something in print about was nearly impossible. I actually had a friend mail me the Gazzetta Dello Sport once a week from New York.

Now my son plays the game and his friends all wear Ronaldo and Messi shirts, and some of the parents have some knowledge of the world game. Granted, it is not as extensive as the rest of the world. In Europe I could talk with a Frenchman or German on the train for hours about it. Here it is more difficult.

But there is absolutely no doubt for me that interest has grown in a very significant way. In fact, people used to ignore soccer, now there is even some anger I see from fans of traditional US sports like football and the NBA. Where once they did not care, they now speak with anger about soccer not being a "real sport" etc...But at least they are paying attention, and in a way acknowledging that it is growing here.

Finally, the skills of young players are improving thanks to better teaching. When I came here, I began coaching children and had a very difficult time of it, as every one of the players had few skills and almost no understanding of the game. The league my son plays in now has much more organized training and players are considerably more skillful.

Some of you may not like it (though I do not really understand that) but the game is growing in America, and it is very obvious to me. The final proof is the "fan areas" we saw on television showing people in various cities gathered to watch games in large numbers. This is something I doubt existed 20 years ago.

23. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is a great point. 20 years ago I drove 45 minutes in each direction to watch Serie A on Sunday with an Italian friend who had a gigantic satellite dish in his yard. Now I can receive RAI International on my Television by paying Dish Network $10. I also receive BEIN so I can watch La Liga and Premier League matches are common on other channels. Today, I do not have enough time to view all of the football that is on my Television. Access like this is another reason that the game is growing in the United States.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    the what ifs I mentioned were addressed before the game, not after... see you're doing the these what ifs don't matter because we won, while I am saying these what ifs mattered hence playing your starting 11 instead of resting them.

That's the part you're not getting. You're playing results and saying oh well it didn't happen and it was easy. I'm just pointing out the what ifs were in German's minds that's why they didn't relax that game (as you claim)

25. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    not really the US was in danger of not qualifying, they were not content with 1 x 0