2014 FIFA World Cup™ Quarter-Finals: Brazil vs Colombia|Fri, Jul 4, 4:00 PMET

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Team to Advance

Poll closed Jul 3, 2014.
  1. Brazil

46.9%
  2. Colombia

53.1%
  1. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Brazil looked awful, but it's unfair to single out Dante. In fact, he was their best defender on the field (not saying much, I know).
    David Luiz was off guard throughout, his mistakes alone accounted for most German goals, and Marcelo was hardly any better, always being caught out of position.

Dante was a bit lost amidst the disarray in the Brazilian defense, but then you can't do it on your own. He was abandoned by his team mates.

2. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thiago Silva would have absolutely made a difference. He plays for my club and he's honestly an absolute beast. Germany would have obviously still won since they're the better team by miles, but the final score wouldn't have been as bad. I mean, it's possible the score could have been the same even if he had played, but not likely.

3. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Things might have been better but not because of his technical skills. Yesterday´s match was not about tactics or mistakes, but about pressure, imo. Thiago, as cap, could have been the voice to keep the defense organized and focused.

Pandore repped this.
  4. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    But it was about tactics and mistakes, clearly.
    Sure, once the goals came running the mental pressure this Brazilian team had put onto itself became too much and the team crumbled.
    But even so, pretty much every goal in the first half was initiated over the German right flank, because Marcelo was caught out of position time and again. It's what led to the corner that resulted in the first goal, as well as goals #2-5...not so sure about #6, I think this was a similar case again though..,I'll have to watch it again.

Again, of course there's more to it, like David Luiz having abandoned ship or Fernandinho possibly having the worst game of his life. But it was all rooted in bad to nonexistent tactics. The Brazilian left was wide open and the midfield nonexistent because Germany closed it down perfectly. Oscar was played too far up front, the wingers were isolated and Fred the slow, immobile enigma he has been throughout. The only way Brazil could get the ball to their forwards was through long passes by D Luiz over the entire midfield, which actually worked reasonably well on occasions, but it obviously wasn't nearly enough to pose a real threat.

magisterlucius and spepper repped this.
  5. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What I meant is Brazil didn´t follow a tactical plan. They just went out trying to score without focus on their own defensive line. They were "acting it out" for the fans. The pressure became overwhelming after the 1 st goal (didn´t even wait till the second). That´s not to mean Germany wasn´t amazing. In fact, they were brilliant and merciless.

jerrito repped this.
  6. magisterlucius

Nov 10, 2003
    Roseburg, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1131 magisterlucius, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    That is why I don't read too much into the result. I am pleased that Germany won but Brazil made some huge mistakes in spacing and tactics and it was found out quickly and often. If there was a replay I would expect a more even game that the odds makers had before this one. I am more focused on the possibilities that either of the two remaining teams present. I would really like to see German win it all this time but each match is different and needs different consideration. BTW it is a real and strange shame that there can not be a thread to discuss such an historic result on a website that is for the discussion of the sport. :edit: they just opened the thread back up and I hope people will behave. I think fans of Germany have with a few exceptions.

jerrito repped this.