2014 FIFA World Cup™ Quarter-Finals: Brazil vs Colombia|Fri, Jul 4, 4:00 PMET

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Team to Advance

Poll closed Jul 3, 2014.
  1. Brazil

46.9%
  2. Colombia

53.1%
  1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Paulinho and David Luiz did some hard fouling on the Chileans, particularly Vidal and Sanchez.

2. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Paulinho reminds me of Paulo Silas (just physically, unfortunatelly). Wonder if they are related.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So ?. This is a men's contact sport and all sorts of challenges may happen at given moments of time.
    At the very first minute of the game, Fernandinho hit Vidal and one minute later he hit Aranguiz coming from behind in a very similar play to the one between Zuñiga and Neymar (as Zuñiga, he didn't get the call nor any card for his criminal play). During the game Alexis alone, received over 9 fouls (during the pk definition, he hardly had strength left to stand up, but still wanted to kick it).

What ?, you believe Neymar should be untouchable ?
    For facts, you simply have to look at him with a mean expression on the face, and he will "flopp" as if he was ran by a train.

At the end of the game, all 3 of our replacements during it, were due to injuries of our players, mostly due to the treatment your team gave ours. Luckily, Webb had the balls to call most of the fouls, otherwise it would have turned the game into the usual hack fest Brazil is getting used to play nowdays.

If Neymar left the game in pain, well he left it, feeling the same that Vidal, Medel and lots of our players were feeling at the same time, so too bad for Neymar if he was in pain. He doesn't like it, tell him to play checkers instead, as contact sports usually leave hurt players and he is not the only player who ends a game in pain. Most football players actually do, with the diference that you don't see them whining or crying over it afterwards.
    Francly, I don't give a cent over what your boys were feeling aftwerwards. My only concern was focused on what our players were feeling afterwards (and if they were in pain, it is because they gave everything they got, reasons why we chilean fans cellebrated their arrival to Chile despite being eliminated).

4. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Really, people should stop wishing (potentially) severe injuries to other players.
    Neymar didn't deserve such foul, not this outcome and end on his WC. No one does.

True, it is a contact sport and yes, players do go all-in sometimes. A bit too often with no other target then
    injuring the opponent. Usually you have a referee to deal with that situation and that guy failed.

jerrito and canis repped this.
  5. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

Problem is that its hard to tell who is saying things literally and who is not.
    I have read some pretty nasty comments and cheerful post about Neymar's injury.

6. junot

junot New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    It seems to me...The only reason fifa did not sanction zunega is because it did not want to add any more fuel to the fire in an attempt to defuse the situation......
    .. 4 years ago in the 2010 South Africa World Cup it was Elano the best Brazilian midfielder at the time that was badly injured
    'Courtesy of Ivory Coast '... Leaving on a stretcher out of that World Cup ..he was never the same after that... Now back to 2014 Brazils best player leaves on a stretcher badly injured ( if you ever had a back injury you know how difficult it is to recover completely....once again. No sanction from fifa ... Do you see a patten there ?? ..it seems instead of cleaning it's corrupted reputation And protecting specialy South American stars ... Fifa only imposes sanctions if the player happens to be European ....which would then take us back to fifa's efforts to maintain an 'artificial sort of imbalance '. Created by fifa. With the sole purpose of controlling the pie distribution ....and keeping the South American soccer federations out in a state of permanent poverty .while the European federations benefited ". Then point the finger at how poor the South American federations have become... All you need to do is follow the money trail... After all .that's what it's all about".
    Or. Is it?.......
    If that's the case then you can say mr Joseph blatter has done his deed 'well enough ' according to his benefactors.........

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You guys are the ones whining over the past games.
    We already asumed it is over for us, when we lost the pk definition. But that doesn't mean that we can't continue to enjoy the rest of the WC, as other teams continue playing it. In the past I always wanted Brazil to win it, but now, I want anyone else to win it, except Brazil. And why all this biased anti-Brazil attitude ?, as I said it before : firstly because Brazil plays dirty and as a second issue, your crowds dishonored the singing of our National anthem (by doing this last thing, you guys won our apathy).
    Now if you are the one wanting other players to get badly injured, it only speaks doubtful on yourself. No one wants players getting injured, but you have to accept that football is a contact sport so it is very likely that injuries will happen playing it.

And yes, Neymar is one of the greatest floppers there actually exists. The good thing (if we can call as "good" something that really is bad and not good at all) over his recent injury, it is that now everyone, specially referee's, got to know how his "real" pain face looks like, and not the one he uses most of the times he fakes and dives over nothing. Noticed it ?; in real pain, he doesn't open his mouth so widely (faking, he opens it to the biggest possible), his eyes remain open slightly closed (faking it, he closes them completely) and he doesn't shout his pain equally as loud as when he is faking it, and prefers to keep the weeping for himself.

Btw, I never defended "a knee to the back" in regular play. What I say, is that "shit happens" in contact sports, and playing them, once not so frequently, awful and disgusting things can happen by the sole nature of the sport. Some players have even died playing football or after an accidental play (David Arellano for instance, whom was a past Colo Colo hero, and also whom according to many, created the kick known as "chilena", died after getting a peritonitis produced over a clash with another player, playing in Spain in the late 20's). Compared to these, Neymar got it cheap (thank goodness for him), as he will be completely back to play, in less than 2 months from now.

HeartandSoul, Pipiolo and magisterlucius repped this.
  8. jaycrewz

jaycrewz Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Talk about giving people even more reason to believe theres some home cooking going on to help the Brazilians. FIFA is ridiculous if they alter the refs decision to give a card. So inconsistent if they would lift Silva's ban. Better not happen.

9. jaycrewz

jaycrewz Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I clarified my post. I have been following the news. Someone is quick to get his posts in after joining today huh? ;)

10. jaycrewz

jaycrewz Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No. It will always be straight disrespect to interupt any singing of a nations national anthem.

You may be the hosts but they can sing THEIR national anthem any way they want. Please dont make excuses for the poor behavior. Because it will only make you look like yet another person in this forum who refuses to criticize Brazil. The booing was wrong and uncalled for. Simple as that.

Acapella is not uniquely Brazilian.

HeartandSoul, Deep Pal and igorcsso repped this.
  11. igorcsso

igorcsso Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed. As a brazilian, i was very ashamed of that behavior. Those who booed are complete idiots.

About Brazil playing dirty, totally disagree, but i've already exposed my point of view here and the discussion went nowhere.
    Regards.

12. jaycrewz

jaycrewz Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Music or singing...its a national anthem and it should be respected. Americans sometimes sing patriotic songs without music...and to disrupt those songs would be seen as great disrespect. Its about the anthem...not about how the anthem is presented. If it was music, or sung, or even hummed...people should respect anthems during international events.

I really cannot understand the argument about acapella not being a big deal.

Deep Pal repped this.
  13. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    @jaycrewz Can i hijack this conversation ? :p

There are certain things which have universal respect and transcends all kinds of barrier ( does not matter "whose house" it is) , and national anthem is defintely right at the top of one of those many things . Why do people ( belonging to different countries) stand up when a national anthem is being played/sung ? They can as well reason that they do not belong to the country whose national anthem is being played and can choose to sit or fool around . It is about showing respect to a country , and booing while a national anthem is really shameful and disgraceful . There simply can be no explanation or reason to justify such behavior .

HeartandSoul, Pipiolo and Rickdog repped this.
  14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In my past post I said that Fernandinho was whom hit Vidal and Aranguiz. That was a mistake on my part, as whom hit them was Paulinho (whom curiously despite fouling lots of times diferent players, didn't even get a yellow card for Persistent Infringement, which is clearly written in the laws of the game), and in the case of his clash against Vidal at the very first minute of the game, he hit him precisely on the knee that everyone knows Vidal had surgery one month before the begining of this WC, which most know, still has him under diferent levels of pain. You may say whatever you wish, but hitting someone precisely where it could be already hurt due to recovery from a past injury, is dirty playing, as you know that any hit in that zone will produce more pain than it can produce if there was no injury before. Would be the same as if Neymar decides to play before he has recovered completely now, and someone comes and hits him slightly again in his lower back. A balanced minded player will avoid hitting another player, where he is already injured. "Creeps" don't care.
    For whatever happened in our game, I believe that Webb's officiating was absolutely fair to both teams, although still some things were likely to happen and did happen (after all, referee's are still human and due to it, they can make mistakes), but in fairness he called out almost everything he had to call out.

In relation to the singing "a cappella", sorry man, but we have been singing it like that since some "stupid joke creep" in FIFA decided to shorten out the National Anthems, long before the Confed cup that took place last year in Brazil. Probably not many noticed it before, because our numbers of fans present, weren't as big as they were in Brazil. To hear Brazil "copy" us (actually whom did it first, is the least important issue here), was beautiful, as we thought that we were not going to be the only ones to do so, and most chileans expected a very beautiful opening ceremony, with both teams singing it like they wished to do so against FIFA's desires, but as I said before, as we sung our anthem first in that ceremony, you guys blew it and from there on, it turned into a competition as whom could be a bigger ass to the other, to something that is very dear to anyone who feels patriotic feelings to whatever we may feel over our national symbols. At that point, the only thing left in order to produce discomfort to the others, was to start burning each others flags. And to do it all, over a sporting event, is simply dumb.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What a cynical hackfest. Nearly unwatchable.

Hey Brasil - your "beautiful futebol" license is hereby revoked until further notice. :p

jerrito repped this.
  16. igorcsso

igorcsso Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed. (Meu deus, to concordando com Romarinho, pqp kkkk)

Since 1982 (some willl say since 1986) dont play beatifully. Some people are perceiving this just now because of the lack of magic players in this generation (right now we just have neymar).

17. magisterlucius

Nov 10, 2003
    Roseburg, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news! Claudio Gentile was found in a cave and you can get our license back if you can pry it from his cold fingers.

jerrito repped this.
  18. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    `86 Brasil was an amazing team.

19. igorcsso

igorcsso Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sure, but the peak of talent and beauty of brazilian football (or soccer, if you prefer) was certainly in 1982 and the breaking point was in 1986 with the end of Tele Santana era.

HeartandSoul and canis repped this.
  20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    As it seems, the germans also decided to sing their national anthem "a cappella" in Brazil.
    After their 6th goal today, it was very clearly heard how they did so.
    :p

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #1121 Iranian Monitor, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    I don't know why the Brazil v Germany thread was closed, but I like to make a few comments about that match.

First, while the Germans are the best overall team in this tournament, to give them all the credit for Brazil's demolition would be a bit misleading. If last night's match was against practically any other side in this tournament, the result would not have been as lopsided. I am sure of that.

Second, while the Germans shouldn't get all the credit, if you put the same Brazil team (even the one in a state of shock after it went down 2:0 early in the game) against almost any other team in the tournament, the result would definitely not end up 7:1. As pitiful as Brazil were, the Germans get a lot of the credit too.

Third, the hefty sums that we are used to seeing paid to practically any player from "Brazil" will from now on have to be earned by them. Losing 7:1 will erase the kind of attitude that almost replaced due diligence in recruiting players from Brazil and justifying what they were paid just because they were Brazilian.

Fourth, as I have mentioned even before this tournament got underway, overtime the game of football will no longer be about pedigree and past fame and this match will help make that point. More and more, you will see every match decided on what happens on the pitch that day, not what has been before. This will change expectations, predictions, and ultimately make for a much more fluid group of teams joining and leaving the ranks of the best teams in the world almost from one year to the next.

Fifth, I wonder how this game will affect the final? For Brazil, the final will be played while that country is still in a state of shock; almost in mourning. That will totally dampen the enthusiasm among the hosts. At the same time, those who criticized France for being so cautious against Germany will now think Deschamps was simply a tactical genius. It is unlikely that whoever the German opponent in the final, that team will forget to make the starting point of their tactic against the Germans an organized, compact, defense.

Finally, where is that Brazilian witch doctor who had placed a spell on the German team? I think he should be sued for malpractice:D.

Tukafo and Christina99 repped this.
  22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He was so drunk after the match against Colombia, that he "cursed" the wrong team....
    :D

23. junot

junot New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Did brazil miss Neymar and thiago silva. Absolutely ......!
    It seems ref carballo gives a yellow card to thiago for play obstruction , but if you constantly increase your level of violent play ((already discussed previously) until you brake the top Brazilian players back then the same ref gives you no warning or card or anything...... This is one of fifa's top butcher jobs . ((Pele got the same treatment in England. 1966 World Cup and in chile. 1962). Fortunately brazil had Garrincha in chile to fill in for Pele.....as for some journalist insinuating brazil is a dirty team obviously they haven't seen klose put out the Argentinas golie abundancieri with knock In the air and punch on landing , this player before he gets the ball he gives you an elbow shoulder tackle and thinks he is playing soccer in his head. Just because the ref turns the blind eye when he does it.. How mesmerazing. ..I would rather have a tactical foul from brazil than a broken leg from robben rob them "the master diver". (Can believe he's still diving after the 2010 World Cup incident) .... Again no mention of him braking someone's leg intentionally. And Let's not forget the worst of all. Neymars broken vertebrate... Those were vulgar attempts made by some in the media to manipulate The public opinion against Brazil . And those gullible fans that want to believe otherwise.. Their attitude is. ..We brake legs ; and we see nothing wrong with broken backs or legs as long as is not one of fifa's consortions . In the mean time we'll just pick our prickly nose in the air and say uuu. We are not dirty or crooked. And then ; Point the finger the other way and say ,They Are!!,
    Gee what a good. Bunch of fellas. (If you are all that naive to believe it)........

24. radjedi

radjedi Member

Jun 13, 2014
    USMNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After today's whitewashing of Brazil, who looked so unbelievably disorganized, I started googling Thiago Silva. I've historically just been a World Cup and USMNT watcher, (but this WC has me so obsessed I'm gonna watch much more club seasons now) so all I really knew is that he was well regarded.

This video has me thinking one player really *can* make a huge difference.

No, he wouldn't have erased everything, but man Dante looked awful today. Very slow both of foot and in reading the plays.

I do think in watching both teams this WC that Germany is better, though, even with both at full strength.

25. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart